Tropical Storm Joaquin's effect on Breakaway cruise 10/4

Mikkar

I'm back online - was without power for 22 hours. we were in the last 1/4 to be restored.

Joaquin wasn't bad - well, the aftermath wasn't bad at all - as compared to both Fay and Gonzalo last year.

Bermuda has recovered. The waters are calming down as the winds disperse.

Bermuda will be fine and welcoming to Breakaway on Wednesday!

This morning the seas were too rough so it was good that the 2 ships Carnival Sunshine and RC Liberty OTS went elsewhere.

Long wet windy storm but minimal aftermath, thank goodness.

That's great news. Sounds like those on board should have a good week after all!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm back online - was without power for 22 hours. we were in the last 1/4 to be restored.

Joaquin wasn't bad - well, the aftermath wasn't bad at all - as compared to both Fay and Gonzalo last year.

This morning the seas were too rough so it was good that the 2 ships Carnival Sunshine and RC Liberty OTS went elsewhere.

We were worried about you and all of Bermuda. So glad to hear you are doing okay over there with minimal damage. It's too bad about the Commissioner's House's roof damage. I hope they find somewhere to mount the webcam soon. I <3 Bermuda!

Edited by peg013

Glad to hear that you guys are doing well. Not much longer until the Escape TA. Say hello to DH from us.

Great news, glad it wasn't as bad as forecasted. Our prayers were with Bermuda and everyone there.

A trip up north through New England like RC or Carbival did might have been more enjoyable for everyone. Anyway, just my $0.02. Remember the worse day on that beautiful boat is light years better than the best day here!!

Remember that Joaquin was heading in that direction too, and has a head start on them. That means they'd be slapped by wind coming around the storm and waves coming out from the storm as they head toward it. Better to move slowly toward Bermuda to the south as Joaquin moves away.

That's what we did with Sandy, moving south of it. The ships that had problems were the ones who headed north. They even had broken bones from high winds and seas.

I was just looking at Breakaway's current position. Assuming this is right, they haven't even left US waters yet. They're still a short way outside the harbor.

Scroll to the bottom of the page for the position. http://www.shipcruise.org/ncl-norwegian-breakaway-itinerary/

I just checked on a different site, Cruise mapper, and they are showing the BA still just off the coast, not even into international waters yet. I don't see how they could POSSIBLY get to Bermuda by tomorrow AM.

Wish we could hear from someone on the ship, to see what is really happening.

A few "news" gathered from various sources: worst is over for those on the islands, tropical storm warning in effect now - Joaquin is 120 miles north of the island heading east out away from US mainland.

Dockyard's livecam is offline, it was knocked off its post on the roof last night - according to local utilties, about 1 out of 4 residents are without power (15,000+ people) and recovery crew should be in action shortly. Gov't Emergency Broacast Station has been experiencing off-and-on technical problems. Latest forecast for sea conditions out to 25 miles from the island is rough, 20 to 25 ft. waves & higher, improving on Tuesday & calming down later in the week.

Search for (lesser known) Cooper Island's live webcam - Port of Ireland Island, Bermuda - up & running (surprise, it is also at Dockyard but ship coverage) - for a live view of the island. According to FB blogs, some of smaller vessels were in danger overnight with the storm hammering - apparently, all was fine.

BA was last tracked on maritime sites at 5 AM heading straight for Bermuda (was thinking that it might track south, hug closer to the Jersey coast before turning toward the Atlantic ... but, that's the ship Captain's skills & tasks with the latest weather & radar tracking data, and, it's a mega ship - all systems going) Ship's webcam has satellite coverage & showing light "chops" and wavelets for now, it will soon run into rougher seas - going from 10' to 15' seas and then 20 to 25 and even 30+ seas coming across the bow at angles, port side to starboard - sideway movements are going to be felt, the stabilizers can only do so much.

CCL's Splendor is heading toward Boston in the north Atlantic around the Cape Cod waters and it is running into rougher seas, wind & rain - look that up on ship's live webcam.

Those on the Breakaway - have a SAFE sailing and enjoy the indoors for the next day or two, holding on to the railings. Room Service will be a "little" slower and take longer. Under adverse weather conditions, satellite coverage for internet access might be "challenged" or difficult.

Anyone onboard her now, with unlimited internet - loved to read about updates ... Tapatalk is the best for doing it.

Well are you a forecaster.

I am on board and we had no worse the 15 foot waves and much calmer now as we and Joaquin going in opposite direction so I don't get where you're 30 foot wave are coming from. the pools were closed but everyone I saw were in good spirit and all restaurants booked up .

Don't go on forecasting nonsense if you don't understand.

We do have a medical emergency and so we are steaming to shore for a helicopter pickup afterwards we will be back on course.

We will have a new arrival time though.

Dukemstr

Well are you a forecaster.

I am on board and we had no worse the 15 foot waves and much calmer now as we and Joaquin going in opposite direction so I don't get where you're 30 foot wave are coming from. the pools were closed but everyone I saw were in good spirit and all restaurants booked up .

Don't go on forecasting nonsense if you don't understand.

We do have a medical emergency and so we are steaming to shore for a helicopter pickup afterwards we will be back on course.

We will have a new arrival time though.

Dukemstr

Please advise your current location. Different ships positioning software show the BA just off the coast. Is this correct? When is the anticipated arrival in Bermuda now? Inquiring minds wish to know and thanks.

Please advise your current location. Different ships positioning software show the BA just off the coast. Is this correct? When is the anticipated arrival in Bermuda now? Inquiring minds wish to know and thanks.

The pick up was made about 300nm from Virginia nc borders. We are steaming at 21 knots to Bermuda

What does suck is that all the pools are closed including the thermal suit for 2 days will ask for a refund.

Dukemstr

The pick up was made about 300nm from Virginia nc borders. We are steaming at 21 knots to Bermuda

What does suck is that all the pools are closed including the thermal suit for 2 days will ask for a refund.

Dukemstr

NCL can't control the weather. Good luck getting refund, maybe you'll get a few crumbs. :D

Dukemstr

Yea, good luck with that.:D Its the chance you take cruise this time of year. In 2013 with spent a day dodging a storm, we ended up loosing a day. Nothing was offered...........

Edited by Laszlo

Dukemstr

Refund for what? Would it be better having the pool slosh around all over the place while you try to keep your balance:eek: That is such a minor part of a cruise while the captain is keeping you and the ship safe.

Refund for what? Would it be better having the pool slosh around all over the place while you try to keep your balance:eek: That is such a minor part of a cruise while the captain is keeping you and the ship safe.

Good question, refund for what? you can still use the spa right? just chill you are on vacation......we could not use our hot tub on the Gem for 2 days in the DOS they had to fix it.......stuff happens. You will be able to enjoy it as soon as the sea calms down or when you are in Port. They are doing this for your own safety......if they kept it open and god forbid someone got hurt or worse, then everyone would be saying " why did they keep it open" NCL cant win for losing, always a few that are unhappy.

Marion

If the thermal suite is closed and the person purchased a pass, I could see getting a refund for that...

If its a cabin amenity, its a bit murkier.

I agree, weather can't be helped and there should be no refunds but should be for the pass if you can't use it.

Hoping for smooth sailing the rest of the week!!!

Thinking about it, because the Spa/Thermal suite is a benefit priced into a cabin, and is an onboard amenity, if the whole suite is not available, even due to weather, an OBC might be applicable. If only the pool in there is closed, no, as you still have many of the features.

I agree, weather can't be helped and there should be no refunds but should be for the pass if you can't use it.

Hoping for smooth sailing the rest of the week!!!