"Some amazing changes coming to Celebrity fleet" announcement mid-week this week!

days@sea

Seriously? Do you own a business? You think pay for toilets would make them MORE profitable? :rolleyes: :(

Celebrity is a business, and a profitable one at that and their smart enough to realize that profit is not all about costs or ancillary revenue. They know the amenities, whether their profit centers or not, need to attract customers.

Whether the food and experience was amazing or not, Murano and their M-Class equivalents was old school, and not modern at all.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

More irony. :rolleyes:

You were the one creating a strawman to claim that people were saying it was more profitable.

But then you simplify that profit is the only driver. Yet now you're here arguing the opposite - which was the point.

Whoosh.

Not happy about having the movie theater above our AQ1 mid-Starboard next Fall. The cruise was booked when the itinerary first came out. We have previously stayed in that area and thought the rooms to be quiet because nothing really was above us. Because the cruise (New England/Canada) is nearly sold out, there is only one stateroom left above our category. It's a SS that would more than double (per person) what we are currently paying for the AQ. :eek: Plus, it's a HC cabin. Maybe it will be too cold on our itinerary to play movies. :rolleyes:

If your cruise is in October, don't worry about it. It will be too cold to go out after dark up on deck 12 aft. We have done that cruise numerous times and even if the days are warm with the sunshine at night at sea I don't think anyone will be out there.

They have not historically held anything outside - parties, etc. (except for maybe sail away) on any of the New England/Canada cruises we have taken.

More irony. :rolleyes:

You were the one creating a strawman to claim that people were saying it was more profitable.

But then you simplify that profit is the only driver. Yet now you're here arguing the opposite - which was the point.

Whoosh.

Re-read what I wrote. Profitability isn't about costs only. There is a big picture involved in choosing what amenities are available on the ship and what I said WAS about profits, but profits also come from booking ships early, at higher prices which requires providing amenities and services people want. If Tuscan is more profitable and popular it's a double win as it will help get reservations (not just for the restaurant, but for the ship). If it was all about costs, why make any changes at all, THAT will cost money.

No specifically to the quoted poster:

We can argue all we want about which was "better" but the question remains, what incentive does Celebrity have to get rid of a more popular venue for a less popular, one? If "Murano" was that good, they'd be packed and Celebrity would be adding more restaurants like that, not less.

No one has dined in the new space, or eaten the new menu yet. The only guarantee is that change will happen. You can choose to try it out or jump ship (pun intended). I'm going to miss the soufflés off the "Murano" menu, but little else and I'm sure I'll eat it again on an S-class ship. I'd would have preferred Q-Sine was changed but that is a unique feature for Celebrity so while I don't love it personally, I understand the decision. I say give it a chance. I for one am going to go in with an open mind. I wasn't planning to do a live review like I did when Luminae was launched but since I'm going sail on Inifinity the first cruise with the Terrace and one of the first with new suite furnishings, new Tuscan menu and space and new solarium decore among other changes, I look forward to reporting back on our experience in December.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Nothing to do with that. Cinemas on ships that had them are/were still well occupied, even frequently full or close to it for recent releases.

The actual issue is it wasn't a revenue earner. And this now is also reflected that they're returning it to fulfil the demand, but in a shared use space so it doesn't 'cost' them.

But like anything compromised, it's well... compromised.

Additionally, the MUTS are very popular on other cruise lines especially those who have larger numbers of families and children on board. I personally don't think it's a good fit on Celebrity ships unless they were able to get first run movies like Disney which shows movies from Disney on the ships the same week they are in theaters.

Also brings up the point of the MUTS going on the S class ships in the future and the perfect place for it would be the lawn.

Edited by dkjretired

The same could be said for electronic charts. They're not updated live, they're published in a database, like this:

https://sites.google.com/site/nauticalfree

Where each country generally hosts its charts for its waters. NOAA doesn't update every chart, every day, or even monthly or yearly. It only changes when they have new data anyway. It's not like Waze or google maps where updates are crowd sourced :D

It's just easier, and probably cheaper, to update electronic charts.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

If you have Smithsonian channel on your tv, they actually have a minor discussion with a harbor pilot over the old hand charts. This was on the episode of "Mighty Ship" when they were on the Solstice in Australia in 14...Good show for other reasons...

[quote name='dkjretired']Additionally, the MUTS are very popular on other cruise lines especially those who have larger numbers of families and children on board. I personally don't think it's a good fit on Celebrity ships unless they were able to get first run movies like Disney which shows movies from Disney on the ships the same week they are in theaters.

Also brings up the point of the MUTS going on the S class ships in the future and the perfect place for it would be the lawn.[/QUOTE]
I am less convinced that jumbo screen when used as MUTS are so popular . We were on the Regal Princess . The setup was ideal with a top quality screen , excellent lounges with snacks and blankets available . The weather was fine . Even with all that although many stopped to view a few minutes of a film but very few ever stuck around . Finally as a revenue generator , MUTS also fails and we know that seems to be a primary consideration for the cruise lines . Edited by richstowe

[quote name='ghstudio']As I recall, there is no handicapped access to deck 12...no elevator goes to that deck and there are no escalators. I wonder how Celebrity will handle those in wheelchairs and those who require assistance walking who want to watch the movies. Will this run afoul of the various American and foreign ADA type laws or will there be some sort of additional access added?[/QUOTE]

When HAL retro fit some of their ships with a top deck cabana area, they had the same issue- original access by exterior stairs only.

They solved it by installing a small (maybe a wheelchair and 2 guests) elevator next to the regular elevator bank for that last floor.
If needed, you would get out of the regular elevator and stop into the new mini one to get to the cabanas one floor up.

It was slow and to me cramped, so I simply took the few stairs

But, it can be done.

[quote name='Rob the Cruiser']We have an A1 cabin for the December 2015 Panama Canal itinerary. We'll hold off judgement until we are underway.

Even if there is some noise from the movies we will have a great time. :D[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]Great attitude Rob - no need to panic when we have no idea of the impact. We do need those that will experience the changes first to make sure to come and report back --- thereby giving others time for a cabin switch if needed.

Looking at the rendering - I'm seeing curtains? across the back - perhaps these are intended to cut down on noise. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

We are on the Oct. 29th sailing in an A2 so can't report on aft A1. We will however come back with pictures and our take if no one else does. We will try the specialty dining since we have OBC. For what it is worth we love MUTS on other lines so very happy with that change.

[quote name='Jane2357'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]Great attitude Rob - no need to panic when we have no idea of the impact. We do need those that will experience the changes first to make sure to come and report back --- thereby giving others time for a cabin switch if needed.

Looking at the rendering - I'm seeing curtains? across the back - perhaps these are intended to cut down on noise. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I agree. The area is large, maybe they're breaking it up with the curtains or those are the Cabanas?

Happy sailing,
Jenna

[quote name='Kentucky816']We are on the Oct. 29th sailing in an A2 so can't report on aft A1. We will however come back with pictures and our take if no one else does. We will try the specialty dining since we have OBC. For what it is worth we love MUTS on other lines so very happy with that change.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they'll have the MUTS yet, as it said the terrace won't open until December, but I look forward to pics of the Solarium and other updates, including the new Tuscan Grill.

Happy sailing,
Jenna

[quote name='A Sixth?']Were you on the balcony when they were actually playing a movie? In port, nice evening, between 9 to 11pm plus or minus 1/2 an hour.:confused:

They didn't have any when it rained nor when underway.

FWIW we were in 1122 and even with the sliding door closed it was audible. At the mast bar you could follow the plot.[/QUOTE]

Yes we were on the balcony when a movie was playing. We had gone up to see what the movie was,was not interested in it and came back down and sat out on our balcony. We did not hear anything. We were in cabin 1136 all the way to the back overlooking the bar.

[quote name='need2bespoiled']I don't think they'll have the MUTS yet, as it said the terrace won't open until December, but I look forward to pics of the Solarium and other updates, including the new Tuscan Grill.

Happy sailing,

Jenna[/QUOTE]

Oh my bad on the MUTS. Guess we need to book another cruise to experience it, darn it [emoji6]. For sure will get some quality pics to the board.

The part of the MUTS no one has acknowledged, is this is also being touted as a new dining venue.

I love the idea that they finally have an outdoor al-fesco dining space available (besides buffet), even if it will only be snacks and sandwiches and lighter fare (assume the case since no real dining tables there, just long areas and small tables).

[quote name='Gracie115']I think I would wait to hear whether noise REALLY is a factor in that area. And you're right in thinking it may be too cold for movies on that itinerary. I can see the AFT rooms up there getting more noise from the movie screen AND from the bar below...we wouldn't book those rooms before and now we definitely won't.

Also, I think it all depends on how late the movies play....[B]if it's one showing at 8PM for instance, most movies would be over by 10-10:30[/B].....

I don't know, I'm not going to judge this additional activity until it's been in use and we hear from more than just a few on what the noise ramifications might be...[/QUOTE]

I guess they may move up the viewing but since the sun only sets in Bermuda (as an example) at about 8:30 in late May and twilight lasts at least 30-45 minutes depending on cloud cover AND taking those with later dinner times into consideration, I wouldn't bank on those showings...

In fact, if daylight has no effect on the screen they may opt for double features each day. One for early sitting and one for late....

Oh Boy! What a treat. :(:cool:

[IMG]http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/wile-e-coyote_1261.jpg[/IMG] Edited by A Sixth?

I personally loved my first experiences in the S. S. United States when the Infinity was first launched. My subsequent experiences in the specialty restaurants have been a mixed bag. At the $25 price point, I would be willing, but not for what they are currently charging. The whole experience seems to have been scaled down a bit. I only went on my last cruise because the specialties were included with my cabin; otherwise, I would not have bothered. They don't seem as special as they used to be. Maybe I'm just jaded.

As for Tuscan, I tried it once but I don't remember anything about it, so I expect it wasn't that memorable for me. I think Celebrity is still trying to appeal to younger passengers, who probably don't appreciate the formality of the restaurants being replaced. I actually can't think of a local restaurant where they use tablecloths anymore, except for one old-fashioned place that caters to an older clientele. The local upscale restaurants have a more sleek and modern feel where tablecloths would be out of place.

As for the changes coming to the top deck, in the photos, the screen doesn't look large enough to worry about a lot of noise. If the production shows weren't changing, I'd probably try a movie on the top deck rather than watch the same old show for the 5th time. I'm generally reluctant to spend much money on snacks while on board, since food is always readily available; however, if they offered something interesting and I had on-board credit to burn, I'd probably try it. I can't say that the Gastro Pub had much that appealed to me, but maybe that's just me.

I'm looking forward to seeing the changes - the older ships could use a bit of a refresh and I'm curious to see how many of the soft goods will be replaced, especially in the upper suites. Personally, with the frequency we cruise, any change is welcome, just to experience something a little different.

[quote name='excitedofharpenden']Not to mention noise from feet and moving chairs.

Phil[/QUOTE]

It appears that the rooftop terrace will be one deck higher than the sun deck, which is directly above the deck 11 cabins. This would make it two decks higher than those cabins. Here is the floor plan for Summit's sun deck. The area marked is higher than that deck.

[IMG]http://members.trainorders.com/4thdistrict/Cruising/rooftop%20terrace.jpg[/IMG] Edited by SantaFeFan

[quote name='BrendaJ']
As for the changes coming to the top deck, in the photos, the screen doesn't look large enough to worry about a lot of noise. [/QUOTE]

Sadly there is no correlation between screen size and sound level. :p:rolleyes:

[IMG]http://voer.edu.vn/file/53216[/IMG]

[quote name='cle-guy']The part of the MUTS no one has acknowledged, is this is also being touted as a new dining venue.

I love the idea that they finally have an outdoor al-fesco dining space available (besides buffet), even if it will only be snacks and sandwiches and lighter fare (assume the case since no real dining tables there, just long areas and small tables).[/QUOTE]

Heck yes! The only thing that could make it better? Including it in the Unlimited specialty Dining packages for upper end suites.

I look at it like this, there seem to be some people who feel:

Change = bad
Status quo = good
Good old days = best

Of course not all change is good, but since no one has seen these changes yet, it is hard to judge. It seems to me, they're taking an ugly, underutilized space, and ADDING something all cruisers can use. I've been up there for a chef's table, and to lay in the sun to escape a crazy pool deck. I prefer the option for more free amenities (MUTS), more public space, with potentially great sea views and a new venue including another dining venue (even if it is pay/a la carte). I know there are 43 cabins up there and 86+ people who may be impacted with some noise, but that is still TBA and the rest will be minimal to no impact to other cruisers. The screen is on the very aft end of the ship and doesn't look quite as large as the ones by the pool, with most seating closer to the screen (allowing lower volume). With all the soft material they seem to be adding up there, sound may be less of an issue

Happy sailing,
Jenna

It's funny to me, that there are a bunch of people about to literally jump ship over the fact that the deck 11 AQ cabins may be noisy, it's the only reason they booked etc.

Also funny that somehow the noise form the live music played at the aft bar isn't bothersome, yet the noise from a movie upstairs is going to be ear shattering and cause rumbling vibrations that will explode their bottle of cheap X 'champagne'.

Or somehow the activities on the sports courts now aren't causing any grief (including the movies they run on occasion), but the activities being planned up top now somehow will.

Those cabins are only like 3 years old...they haven't been a traditional staple since the ship was put into service in the 2000's.

[quote name='SantaFeFan'][quote name='excitedofharpenden']Not to mention noise from feet and moving chairs.

Phil[/QUOTE

It appears that the rooftop terrace will be one deck higher than the sun deck, which is directly above the deck 11 cabins. This would make it two decks higher than those cabins. Here is the floor plan for Summit's sun deck. The area marked is higher than that deck.

[IMG]http://members.trainorders.com/4thdistrict/Cruising/rooftop%20terrace.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

That area would be a better spot IMHO but the test runs were all run over the deck 11 A1s and at the Oceanview bar end of the ship.

Further the artist rendering shows in at the stern where the four spheres pods are

[IMG]http://www.celebritycruises.com/media/en_US/images/cel_whats_new/infinity-summit-refresh-460x256.jpg[/IMG] Edited by A Sixth?