Showers in Balcony rooms vs Junior Suites

Indy_girl

How small the shower really is in the balcony room as I usually book a Junior Suite. This is my husbands first cruise and was wondering if being 6'1" 220 pounds would make showering a challenge. :rolleyes:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I personally think the shower's are small..I'm 5'4 135 lbs and DH is 6ft 180 lbs...we much prefer the JS tub/shower combo among other things that the JS offer's...only will opt for a balcony when we bring the entire family (multiple cabins and since we pay) otherwise when it's just the two of us ...JS is more like a hotel room for us and worth the extra $'s. Since it's your DH first cruise this may be a deal breaker...think about this first impression carefully. Best of luck.

My husband and I are shorter (5,10" and 5'4") but larger people...250-235 lbs. we haven't had issues. We like the shower having a wand that can be taken down and used. Only issue I've had is trying to shave my legs. We are on Oasis in Dec. and they have added a bar for ladies to put a foot on when shaving. We have thought about a JS, but the tub may be an issue for me getting in and out. So we stick w a balcony. You didn't mention what ship, but the Indy, Voyager, and Oasis have the same tube like shower.

I'm 6'1" and 235. While the balcony showers with the glass doors aren't ideal, I don't have a problem with them. As for the JS showers, I can see where some people may have a problem with the height of the tub walls. It's not that they're pretty high to climb over but it's also a step down to the floor. If you're balance challenged, it's a bad combination.

The one thing we don't like about suites is the tub/shower. The tub is so high I worry I will trip on it and fall. We use the tub - wish the suites just had a really large shower.
So to clarify...do js have showers or just tubs? Does anyone know if showers on NOS or Jewel have the "tube showers"?

Junior Suites have a tub/shower combo...the tub is high and not for everyone- I would definitely prefer a walk-in shower. Here's a photo:

See this picture of a typical JS.

It gives you a good idea of how high the tub is.

69lyrs.jpg

So to clarify...do js have showers or just tubs? Does anyone know if showers on NOS or Jewel have the "tube showers"?

If memory serves, both Navigator and Jewel balcony cabins have "tube" showers with a solid sliding door.

Edited by broberts

The tub is higher from the bathroom floor...once IN the tub, it's a standard tub depth. They raise the tub because of drainage pipes under it..they need access at times! If stepping in is too hard, sit on the side and rotate yourself in or out! It's a much larger shower space.

They have the "tube" showers. Kind of like the Star Trek Transporter!

Elvis

Caution, some ships have the dreaded "clinging" shower curtain in their showers.

Not sure how I managed this, but one of the doors in the "tube shower" ran over my foot. I spent the rest of our honeymoon in a wheelchair.

Between the Tube Shower, Clinging Curtain or a High Tub, my vote is the bathtub!! In the GS, I just sat on the edge a few times to get out, during some stronger movement...

Edited by LilBlackDress

I am 6'2" and a bit north of your husband's weight, and the tube showers work fine for me. The head/sprayer can be set high enough for a tall guy, which is nice. It is a bit of a tube with limited elbow room, and if you drop anything there is no way to bend over and pick it up without being a contortionist, or just sliding the door open for a moment.

My wife is 5'9", and feels a bit claustrophobic in it, but it still works for her. She does prefer her JS tub/shower combos when we have one. One of the real selling points for getting a JS for her. She sometimes will take her toiletries and head up to the nicer spa shower facilities when she wants more room, like on formal nights.

The one thing we don't like about suites is the tub/shower. The tub is so high I worry I will trip on it and fall. We use the tub - wish the suites just had a really large shower.

The height of the tub is worth noting. I have just a very minor problem mobility issue. Spinal fusion and some arthritis makes getting in and out a little bit of a chore. I'm careful to hold on getting in and out. (This is a problem I don't encounter at home or hotels. This tub does seem a bit higher, probably for nights of rough seas.

The JS have a tub with a shower....just like at home. I fully concur with the difficulty in getting in and out though. I didn't seem to have such an issue with the JS tub/shower. However, the GS tub was treacherous - especially getting out ! I think I will try an OS next time b/c they have a separate shower and tub.

• Haha 1

I must admit I was shocked on my first Royal cruise when I saw the bathroom on Oasis. The shower is a tube with a showerhead. Granted, I was used to suites on HAL which have a separate tub, shower stall, and double sinks, but seriously, a tube for a shower?! We are booked in a Junior Suite on our upcoming Allure cruise and will be looking forward to the tub over the tube. I don't think your husband will be too thrilled with that shower.

• 1 month later...
We usually get JS's.....just for the tub.

I just discovered this wonderous tubs and would love to be able to get a regular balcony/oceanview with a giant tub. Anyone know any secret rooms below a JS with tubs? I like the JS but being a solo traveller the room is almost too large for me.

I just discovered this wonderous tubs and would love to be able to get a regular balcony/oceanview with a giant tub. Anyone know any secret rooms below a JS with tubs? I like the JS but being a solo traveller the room is almost too large for me.

No tubs below a JS.

sit and swivel. works great for me( bad hips, no knees and generally a mess)

the grab bars in the tub are mostly close enough to be able to use without issue

The tub is higher from the bathroom floor...once IN the tub, it's a standard tub depth. They raise the tub because of drainage pipes under it..they need access at times! If stepping in is too hard, sit on the side and rotate yourself in or out! It's a much larger shower space.

I was thinking exactly that, sit on the side and turn into the tub. We will be in our first JS in a couple of months....looking forward to it. Probably won't get a JS often, for this cruise it was a treat; very reasonable price and we get double points.