Do you use the internet onboard?

CowPrincess

There has been a LOT of discussion on CC about ships' internet lately. I've been cruising since long before the internet was ubiquitous. I can also remember having to hunt down internet cafes in ports, if I wanted to check in with people via email.

Now, I just expect that I can keep in touch and that influences (in a positive way) my ability to travel. I need to have internet access for both business and family reasons. So I use the ship internet.

With all the talk about internet on the ships, I'm wondering who else uses the internet when cruising, if having internet available makes it easier for you to travel, and what uses you have for it. And if you don't use the ship's internet to stay in touch, do you use smart phones, internet cafes or ??

I don't need the internet really, but it makes my cruise more pleasurable. I use about 5 minutes each night on my netbook to download any incoming emails and send out any that I have written off-line since the previous night. I will often include a down-sized "picture of the day" to make a kind of "instant postcard" ... a bit like a blog to friends and family, but a lot cheaper! I used to buy a 100 minute block for cruises of 14 days or more and go with the $0.75/min for shorter, but with the new plans I will just go with $0.75/min always.

Edited by jtl513

When we first started crusing, there wasn't internet on the ships, nor was there cell phone service. We would use internet cafes and pay phones in port to call home to check in on our son....who was a small child in those days.

Fast forward to today, I think staying in touch is more expected. We try to use our cell phones in port when we need to check in, but have also done so on the ship from time to time. We do use the internet, to keep in touch with home and work. We dont use that many minutes, just a quick check point - but we do it every day.

We have a cruise booked for December which is a very busy time at my company. I know I will need to log on to work email and stay on top of a few things while I'm out.

I used to get a package for all of our cruises and used all of the usual tips and tricks to minimize my minutes, but I found that I was increasingly taking advantage of port stops to access free or cheap wifi. Due to bandwidth issues, we couldn't FaceTime or Skype with family from the ship, and we do like to keep in touch with our children and grandkids. This past March we decided not to buy a package and survived. The same things last month, although with a Canada/New England cruise, we didn't have to hunt out public wifi.

I suspect that we'll decide on a case-by-case basis and will probably get a small package for most cruises so that we have communications on sea days, but will continue to use port stops for the most part.

Depending on the cruise, we use a combination of ship internet, smart phone and/or internet cafes. If we have a lot of sea days our phones and internet cafes are out of the question, so we get an internet package (and use some of our OBC for it). This is just to check on emails from home, and any emails sent out are written offline first.

When in port, if we have extra time from sight-seeing, we'll use our smart phones (we buy an out-of-country package from our cell provider for this). We've used internet cafes but usually haven't been too lucky. Too many others using it usually, so a waste of time trying to get online.

I have an elderly father (99 next month) so I want to stay in touch with family back home. We're retired so don't need it for business. I would say internet access is definitely a factor in our travel, at least for now.

I do use the ship's internet, mainly for email. I travel with my laptop, as much for photo backup as internet. If it's a short trip, I use a table.

When my father was still alive, I'd use it to stay in touch with him. I stay in touch with my SIL, especially if I know there's bad weather back home. If I need them to check on the house, they will.

When I was still working, as a project leader I tried to check email once a day. I'd leave the project and team in the best possible shape, but sometimes there's that one question that I could answer off the top of my head that others would take ages to ferret out. In all my travels in those years, I think there was a desperate email only once or twice, but I felt better knowing that I could be reached if I was needed.

Now I use ship's internet mostly to email with friends, sending a sort of private blog about the trip every few days.

And, yes, I remember looking for internet cafes when I traveled. More on land portions of travel than at sea. It was one of those things I'd research before a trip, along with restaurants, hotels, theatres, etc. All these years later, I still remember where the two I used in London were. Is EasyInternet even in business any more???

When we cruise, we get away from it all. We use the internet to print our boarding passes to travel home.

We don't email back home (we're on vacation) and no cell phone calls either unless there would happen to be an emergency. We do call our daughter when we first get on the ship and again when we are back in port but not in between.

Contrary to others, we do not like to waste often valuable port time sitting at an internet café in port so we purchase a sizable package on the ship (prefer the unlimited plan when available) and use it while having a drink or two at the pool to catch up on e-mails and use social media to communicate with family.

There has been a LOT of discussion on CC about ships' internet lately. I've been cruising since long before the internet was ubiquitous. I can also remember having to hunt down internet cafes in ports, if I wanted to check in with people via email.

Now, I just expect that I can keep in touch and that influences (in a positive way) my ability to travel. I need to have internet access for both business and family reasons. So I use the ship internet.

With all the talk about internet on the ships, I'm wondering who else uses the internet when cruising, if having internet available makes it easier for you to travel, and what uses you have for it. And if you don't use the ship's internet to stay in touch, do you use smart phones, internet cafes or ??

Interesting questions, and I know you mean well by asking. I will certainly answer the first one.... yes I do use the internet when cruising (or travelling anywhere). When we were on the Westerdam, the full package offered was great and I used the premium package and also found the internet connection to be very good. I hope it is available on my next cruise.

As to the second part, I think I have been stung too often by questions and criticism on here about WHY we use the internet. Honestly, I don't see any reason to have to explain our reasons on why we use a provided services to people we don't even know. Hope that doesn't sound too harsh but you did ask "why":D Oh, and no I don't use my phone at all, though I do use it for texting while in port. On the ship, it is turned off and locked in the safe.

I used to pay for the minimum amount of internet because I had an elderly mother and we had our dog in a kennel. I felt that it was the responsible thing to do to at least be in touch with home via email.

Sadly now, neither are with us anymore so I no longer feel the need to pay for internet. I might check email if I find a free source.

Edited by Not-My-Real-Name

DH KNOWS I am going to have internet on board. It's a necessary evil.

things can happen with his work. I have family I care about and I have 3 dogs in a kennel and two are older. They never go unless they are healthy but one never knows. I have things covered while we are away, but I still want to know.

I also usually do a live thread. I will use a wifi spot to upload pics, etc. to a live thread, but like taxmantoo, I don't want to waste time in a port at a wifi café for too long of a time.

Much more fun on a sea day, relaxing early in the morning with a coffee or later at night with a glass of wine - that is assuming internet co-operates and life doesn't get too busy on board ;)

I do take my cell phone but it is only for emergencies - reaching home, reaching tour guides if they are no shows, etc. Otherwise the cell phone stays off, but the ipad may often be on, especially if we luck into unlimited internet :)

I buy a package of minutes. I do a blog off line attach some pictures of our days adventures and send it off in the evenings. I don't check emails and we don't care what happens at home. We never phone home well we're on holidays. Can't do anything about it anyways.

Allan

My husband and I are self employed and could not cruise if internet were not available. For us it's just part of the cost of doing business. Last summer on our Canada/New England cruise we were delighted to find free internet in the port building of each Canadian port. Wish that was always the case...

My name is Sapper1 and I am an internetoholic. :D

I started using the internet after one cruise when one of my credit cards -- not one that I used on the cruise -- had over 300 spurious charges on it when I returned home. REFUSE to go through that hassle again. Now I not only tell credit card companies I will be gone, but where and when. I also check at least daily so I can nip anything in the bud. Amazing, but the credit card I use most, almost daily is not the one that gets scammed.

I started using the internet after one cruise when one of my credit cards -- not one that I used on the cruise -- had over 300 spurious charges on it when I returned home. REFUSE to go through that hassle again. Now I not only tell credit card companies I will be gone, but where and when. I also check at least daily so I can nip anything in the bud. Amazing, but the credit card I use most, almost daily is not the one that gets scammed.

that is a very good point indeed. I do check my credit cards on a regular basis - especially for those longer cruises. We only take one each and a back up with us when we are travelling. No need to carry cards you are not going to use.

For me, it is key to keep an eye on my bank accounts and credit cards. ;)

On longer cruises I purchase a plan from HAL & use the Internet & their PC's to keep in touch as well as check my e-mail..I never use my cell phone to text..It usually just stays in the safe when on a cruise..

On our next cruise will not need Internet as it's only 14 day & a B2B.. However, bought DH an Ipad Mini last Christmas & he has never used it.. I want to learn how to use it so I just might purchase a small plan from HAL..[/

We're back in Fort Lauderdale after 7 days, & I'll plan to phone our kids & my Pups Babysitter from Fort Lauderdale & from Key West on the following 7 days..:)

SIZE]

I only use the internet on longer cruises and purchase a package of minutes. The world can exist with me for 2 weeks - do love retirement! My only use is email to stay in touch. To save minutes I write up what I want to say in a word document and just add it to the email. I do bring my laptop and also use it to store photos (and also on a memory stock) as some are priceless and who knows if I will ever get back there again. Never go into financial stuff on the ship's server as not well protected and I belong to the once burned twice shy club! My sister handles that while I am gone. Unless I am sitting on the deck in the late afternoon (as have often been able to pick up the terminal internet) I do not go for shore internet as to much to see and do in port.

I always use the WiFi on board the ships when I cruise.

My DH used to have to remain in touch with his office when traveling, I was responsible for the care of a senior family member and had to communicate with home and I got in the habit of always buying an Internet Package. I continue that habit now.

I used to bring a nice Netbook computer with me but for my last cruise, I got a Surface Pro and like it.

Edited by sail7seas

I haven't cruised yet on HAL but I intend to use the inet. I have an elderly father, dog and hedgehog so people need to be able to each me in emergency. I also am an internetaholic like sapper1. I love being able to go online for anything anytime I like. I also like to check charges on my cards, having been subject to a similar experience to momatibm. DD and I will also be able to text each other to meet up since we don't intend to trail each other around the ship what with our very different interests. And then there is the fun of being able to live blog the trip. I get so much enjoyment out of reading everyone else's threads that I can't wait to pay back the favour.

I bring my laptop and spend about an hour or two every night sorting through photos and writing a blog (offline) and connect to upload. I enjoy blogging - a nice way to recap the day, unwind and, when I get home, a way to relive my cruise. It's also a way to let the family know what we're up to (and a vain hope that my husband will one day relent and go on a cruise with me!).

The unlimited plan on the Westerdam is great - and so much faster than it used to be, though nowhere near as fast as what I get at home. I've tried to use the internet for work, but it's still pretty glacial. I wait until port days to do any serious work (unless I can avoid it altogether ;) ), where I can use my cell phone as a mobile hotspot.

I only use the internet on longer cruises and purchase a package of minutes. The world can exist with me for 2 weeks - do love retirement! My only use is email to stay in touch. To save minutes I write up what I want to say in a word document and just add it to the email. I do bring my laptop and also use it to store photos (and also on a memory stock) as some are priceless and who knows if I will ever get back there again. Never go into financial stuff on the ship's server as not well protected and I belong to the once burned twice shy club! My sister handles that while I am gone. Unless I am sitting on the deck in the late afternoon (as have often been able to pick up the terminal internet) I do not go for shore internet as to much to see and do in port.

I have no compunction to use the internet on board for my banking nor my credit cards. All the sites are guaranteed as long as I follow the standard protocols if something happens they guarantee my safety 100% and will refund any loss. No questions asked.

You might want to check your internet rules for your banking and credit card sites and you might just get a pleasant surprise.

Granted, we are in Canada, so things might be different, but it's certainly worth exploring. Even on a 14 day, I think I would want to check and make sure nothing untoward has happened.

Edited by kazu

As a freelance writer and security analyst, I really don't get vacations. So I've used shipboard internet services for the past 18-20 years. In the early days it was using the "internet cafe" on board, now it's using wireless.

I like to set up in the atrium area outside the Ocean Bar on "at sea" afternoons (early evening on port days) and read, write and send off articles/papers/reviews/etc. While taking advantage of the bar's libations, of course.

A really big plus was having unlimited internet on our Sailaway Gang Panama Canal cruise last April. A lot of us knew each other previously so we used FB Messenger to communicate with each other around the ship. Since we were always online we could easily arrange to meet up at a moment's notice. Several impromptu large gatherings took place as a result of being able to find each other quickly. It was fun.