Alaska Cruise - Choices of Cruise Line

hornhiyo

Alaska trip planned for June. Southbound from Whittier/Seward. First Alaska trip, though we've cruised the Caribbean several times.

Have the option of NCL, Princess or Crystal. Prices aren't too much different. It looks like NCL (Sun) and Princess (Star or Island) are alike, but Crystal (Serenity) looks to be a different experience.

If each ship offers a balcony at the same ballpark price any experienced thoughts on pluses and minuses of each option.

Let me know if this is the wrong forum.

Alaska trip planned for June. Southbound from Whittier/Seward. First Alaska trip, though we've cruised the Caribbean several times.

Have the option of NCL, Princess or Crystal. Prices aren't too much different. It looks like NCL (Sun) and Princess (Star or Island) are alike, but Crystal (Serenity) looks to be a different experience.

If each ship offers a balcony at the same ballpark price any experienced thoughts on pluses and minuses of each option.

Typically, cruising Alaska is about the itinerary, not the ship.

If you're interested in Glacier Bay, you'll need to do Princess (or Holland America, since they carry the bulk of the Glacier Bay permits). Beyond that, look at the ports and time in port for making a decision.

Oh, there is an Alaska board here (for additional questions):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=55

Edited by Shmoo here

I'm a little confused when you said that the prices for the three lines, in balcony cabins, were pretty much the same. When I looked at Crystal's prices for their 7 day Alaska cruises, in a balcony cabin, their fares started at $4100 per person and went up to around $4500 depending on location. On NCL Sun, their balcony cabins started at $1850 per person and Island Princess' fares were around $2100 per person for a balcony cabin. Crystal is a luxury line while the other two are mainstream lines, so it's not unusual for Crystal's fare to be double.

If you feel that Crystal's fares are still a good deal for you, then go with them as they're known for their excellent food and service. But, if you're traveling with kids, be aware that Crystal isn't nearly as child friendly as other lines.

I'm curious. How in the world did you narrow it down to those particular 3 cruise lines? :confused: They're aren't alike. Why not RCI, HAL or Celebrity, who also cruise southbound out of Seward?

I'm a little confused when you said that the prices for the three lines, in balcony cabins, were pretty much the same. When I looked at Crystal's prices for their 7 day Alaska cruises, in a balcony cabin, their fares started at $4100 per person and went up to around $4500 depending on location. On NCL Sun, their balcony cabins started at $1850 per person and Island Princess' fares were around $2100 per person for a balcony cabin. Crystal is a luxury line while the other two are mainstream lines, so it's not unusual for Crystal's fare to be double.

If you feel that Crystal's fares are still a good deal for you, then go with them as they're known for their excellent food and service. But, if you're traveling with kids, be aware that Crystal isn't nearly as child friendly as other lines.

If you look only at cabin prices, you are correct. But, many premium/luxury lines include most (if not all) of what you pay extra for on the mass markets.

For example, Oceania includes airfare, beverages, specialty restaurants, and if you book summer 2016 before the end of 2015, add free tips, internet and excursions.

So you really need to compare "net daily rate" for all expenditures. Add the significant TA OBC possible with O as well and consider what you don't get on O: hordes of folks with poor crew ratio, mediocre food, art shows, liberal smoking policies, bothersome photographers, nickel/diming, etc.

If you look only at cabin prices, you are correct. But, many premium/luxury lines include most (if not all) of what you pay extra for on the mass markets.

For example, Oceania includes airfare, beverages, specialty restaurants, and if you book summer 2016 before the end of 2015, add free tips, internet and excursions.

So you really need to compare "net daily rate" for all expenditures. Add the significant TA OBC possible with O as well and consider what you don't get on O: hordes of folks with poor crew ratio, mediocre food, art shows, liberal smoking policies, bothersome photographers, nickel/diming, etc.

FYI, Oceania does not include all beverages as they offer alcohol drink packages for purchase----we just purchased one for our upcoming Oceania Riviera cruise.

If the itineraries are the same or similar than go with Crystal. And keep in mind that with Crystal that tips, wine/spirits, bottled water, soda, specialty coffees and many other items that you would pay for on other cruise lines are included. Crystal is a luxury cruise line. I Have sailed Crystal many times. I have also sailed Princess and NCL too.

I have sailed Crystal many times in Alaska as well as a few other lines. Crystal does a great job.

Again if the itineraries are about the same I would jump on Crystal.

Keith

If the itineraries are the same or similar than go with Crystal. And keep in mind that with Crystal that tips, wine/spirits, bottled water, soda, specialty coffees and many other items that you would pay for on other cruise lines are included. Crystal is a luxury cruise line. I Have sailed Crystal many times. I have also sailed Princess and NCL too.

I have sailed Crystal many times in Alaska as well as a few other lines. Crystal does a great job.

Again if the itineraries are about the same I would jump on Crystal.

Keith

I'm going with Keith on this one. If Crystal is an option, do it.

As for the others, I don't think you were given the best advice. NCL isn't known for great service and Princess ships are terribly over crowded. I'd go with pretty much any other line over NCL.

NCL and Princess were chosen based on feedback we got from different friends who have cruised Alaska.

I had an email deal on Crystal.

Crystal is more luxurious and will have better food than Princess and NCL. Crystal is definitely a cut above the other two lines. There will not be many, if any kids onboard. However, one of the great highlights of a cruise to Alaska is Glacier Bay. In fact, that has been my favorite day of any Alaska cruise. Not sure if your Crystal cruise is doing that or not, but if not and you plan to cruise Alaska again someday, then, if you miss it the first time, it will be something to look forward to in the future. With the Princess cruise, I would choose one with a land portion as well and go to Denali.

Crystal is more luxurious and will have better food than Princess and NCL. Crystal is definitely a cut above the other two lines. There will not be many, if any kids onboard. However, one of the great highlights of a cruise to Alaska is Glacier Bay. In fact, that has been my favorite day of any Alaska cruise. Not sure if your Crystal cruise is doing that or not, but if not and you plan to cruise Alaska again someday, then, if you miss it the first time, it will be something to look forward to in the future. With the Princess cruise, I would choose one with a land portion as well and go to Denali.

Just want to correct a couple of items.

It won't be a cut above theater two lines mentioned. It will be several cuts above it. Also there will be children on board which is true for all lines including Crystal and the other luxury lines.

Keith

Okay, trying to incorporate some of the advice and balance options. Based on itinerary, what's the difference between Hubbard Glacier, Sawyer Glacier, Icy Straight point and Glacier Bay?

I appreciate the advice that the ship is less important than the ports. It looks like most cruise lines see the standard Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway. The wildcards seem to be the glaciers.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Glacier Bay:

All day cruising this magnificent area watching glaciers calve.

Hubbard Glacier:

Icy Straits:

Sawyer Glacier:

Google a map of Alaska to see where these are.

I respectfully disagree with Keith that there will be all that many kids on a Crystal cruise in June - If it is early June, many schools in the US will NOT even be out yet and most parents don't want to take their kids out of school when it is the last 2 weeks. If it is a late June cruise, then, perhaps, there will be more kids.

Okay, trying to incorporate some of the advice and balance options. Based on itinerary, what's the difference between Hubbard Glacier, Sawyer Glacier, Icy Straight point and Glacier Bay?

I appreciate the advice that the ship is less important than the ports. It looks like most cruise lines see the standard Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway. The wildcards seem to be the glaciers.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Hubbard and Glacier Bay are like a trade off. Hubbard is one giant glacier, whereas Glacier Bay is a day of cruising a bay where you see several smaller glaciers. The problem with Hubbard is, ice flows can prevent you from getting close to it. In Glacier Bay, your chances of getting close to the galciers is much better. If I had to choose between the 2, I'd pick Glacier Bay because the scenary in there all day is beautiful.

Icy Strait Point is mostly an excursion port because there isn't much to do there on land. It's excellent for whale watching.

By the way, I've been on Oceania and it was nothing spectacular. If you want to go luxury, stick with that deal you're getting on Crystal. Otherwise, stick with the mainstream lines.

We did Princess (July 2014) and were very satisfied. Did south to north. By all means take a balcony cabin. When going through the glaciers, I would go out, take a few pictures and come back in to warm up. We then did a land package to Denali for about 5 days. Liked the train ride.

That being said - if we had it to do over, we'd fly in to Anchorage, rent a car and drive to Denali and the to Fairbanks. The ports are nothing more than cold weather versions of the Caribbean ports - complete with Diamonds International and all the other crap stores. And the tours were overpriced. Did a Jeep tour - we drove for well over an hour to a lame trail and spent less than a half an hour on it. As an avid off-roader I wasn't expecting anything difficult but I could have do it in 2 wheel drive.

And the tours were overpriced.

Anyone looking for excursions in Alaska should check the Alaska Port of Call Board (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55) for private excursion recommendations. Our first cruise to Alaska we did ships excursions. We enjoyed them but they were overpriced and crowded. Five years later we did all private excursions - they were much better and much cheaper. The recommendations on the Alaska Board for Harv and Marv's whale watching in Juneau and Chilkoot for the White Pass Railroad in Skagway were spot on!

Anyone looking for excursions in Alaska should check the Alaska Port of Call Board (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55) for private excursion recommendations. Our first cruise to Alaska we did ships excursions. We enjoyed them but they were overpriced and crowded. Five years later we did all private excursions - they were much better and much cheaper. The recommendations on the Alaska Board for Harv and Marv's whale watching in Juneau and Chilkoot for the White Pass Railroad in Skagway were spot on!

Wish I would have known about this before we went on our cruise.

:eek: Seriously can't believe the ships you are picking between.

Crystal, if you can afford it, take the luxury cruise. The other two are not good options considering your situation, it's silly that you are even considering.

We did Alaska twice and never went to Glacier Bay. Still had a great time and didn't feel we missed anything. Saw tons of glaciers as well as everything else everyone raves about.

Everyone says you cruise Alaska for the ports, but all the ships go to practically the same ports so I'm not sure where this thought process comes from? :confused:

Personally I'd pick the best ship, Alaska will be beautiful regardless if you're on a luxury yacht or in a canoe. So you may as well see that beauty from the comfort of a luxury vessel.

You can ask the Alaskan boards here for more input.

My 2 cents any Alaska cruise that doesn't have Glacier Bay is missing Alaska. Yeah the other scenics are nice but not as nice. Ports they all stop at mostly the same ports with similar excursions. I'm sure the higher end likely look to offer similar excursions with upscale price and hopefully service consistent with them.

But sometimes going on an excursion is like camping, you need to get out and do it cheap and real to get the real experience.

Happy planning

Personally I'd pick the best ship THAT YOU CAN AFFORD, Alaska will be beautiful regardless if you're on a luxury yacht or in a canoe. So you may as well see that beauty from the comfort of a luxury vessel.

FTFY

But your advice was spot on.

OP should look at factors that affect THEM -- we sailed S to N in an inside on HAL's Statendam -- because we knew that three could be comfortable in their inside cabins having done it before. My mom and I spent our waking hours glued to the windows in the Lido, and the inside gave my DH dark to rest up before the two weeks we spent self-driving in AK.

So OP look at the stateroom, beverage and dining packages, TIMING!, and *perhaps* excursions offered.

Edited by crystalspin

Don't disregard NCL as it also has some permits to go to Glacier Bay. I have been to Alaska three times and here are my thoughts:

* If you think this may be your only trip to Alaska, choose Glacier Bay. The cruise lines that have all the permits (just two ships a day can enter) are not necessarily your best cruise lines, only the ones that have "seniority" in Alaska's weird permit issueing policy.

* Don't fall into the "HAL and Princess do Alaska better because they have done it longer" thinking. Most of the cruiselines do a great job there. Like others have said, the private excursions are so much better and cheaper.

*Marv and Harv" whale watching (there are a few others that rank up there too) in Juneau and the White Pass Railroad experience to the Yukon through Chilkoot are amazing. We also rented a car and went to the Yukon but that was our second time for a different experience.

I agree that an Alaskan cruise is all about the ports. I would recommend a balcony but also being outside with others on deck is another wonderful experience so don't eliminate the inside and OV cabins. It was nice on the Glacier Bay day to combine outside on the deck with the opportunity to have lunch on our balcony when the ship turned for our side's chance to watch the calving.