Visiting Ports

deli cruiser

Will be going on Oasis eastern itinerary and need to know if as a Canadian, do I need to bring my passport on shore as proof of citizenship or will a valid drivers licence be proof enough?

DL is enough.

Leave your passport in the safe and bring your license in case you need it to get back on the ship....some ports require picture id,some don't.....there are many contentious threads on what to do with your passport....if you miss the ship it will be left with the port agent so it really isn't necessary to bring it....make sure you take the port agent info with you printed on the daily info sheets you get...have a great trip!

Will be going on Oasis eastern itinerary and need to know if as a Canadian, do I need to bring my passport on shore as proof of citizenship or will a valid drivers licence be proof enough?

Check the daily cruise compass aboard Oasis for advice on each port.

Taking one's passport ashore is usually a matter of choice on the Oasis eastern itinerary. I generally like to carry mine when in a foreign country. However I have left it in the cabin safe on occasion. For instance, when doing ship excursions that involve boating and/or snorkeling.

I take a photocopy of the passport with me when on shore.

A viable alternative to that is to take a high quality picture of it, and put it on your phone or camera you are taking with you.

Not sure about Canada (for the OP), but the US State Dept does say that a digital version is ok, as the use is to make a new one when you are in a foreign location without a passport.

I hope that nobody misreads you comment. A digital image might be helpful or at least as useful as a photocopy on a shore excursion; however, you would not be able to board a commercial flight or cruise with one.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

Leave your passport in the safe and bring your license in case you need it to get back on the ship....if you miss the ship it will be left with the port agent so it really isn't necessary to bring it....

Can you elaborate, and also how do you know this? How can a passport be given to a port agent if it is in the passenger's safe and the ship has already left? Are you saying that if someone is late returning to the ship the staff go into the guest's safe and remove said passport and give it to the port agent on land before sailing? :confused:

I have been here for a lot of years and I have never heard or read this, so I am curious. ;)

If you miss the ship, they will go into your cabin and open the safe....the security officer CAN do that...they will take your stuff and leave it at port.

Cruisers do not need to take a passport ashore. You should have some form of ID on you, though...and your DL is the same size as your ship's key....

Can you elaborate, and also how do you know this? How can a passport be given to a port agent if it is in the passenger's safe and the ship has already left? Are you saying that if someone is late returning to the ship the staff go into the guest's safe and remove said passport and give it to the port agent on land before sailing? :confused:

I have been here for a lot of years and I have never heard or read this, so I am curious. ;)

I do not have first hand information but YES if you do not answer the many calls to report to the purser they will go to your cabin 1st to make sure you are not there 2nd to retrieve your passport before they pull away from the dock & give it to the port agent

I am surprised you have not heard about this before as it is mentioned many times on CC :eek:

Many time the passports for NON US citizens are held by the purser anyway

Always carry the PORT AGENT'S information with you it is usually in the daily newsletter

I am surprised you have not heard about this before as it is mentioned many times on CC :eek:

Well, I don't read absolutely every single thread here but thanks for the reply.

Many time the passports for NON US citizens are held by the purser anyway...

Only on our one Med cruise did this happen.

We have had ours held on most of Caribbean cruises ...maybe it depends on the ports of call ??

That have never happend to us. We have been to these islands on cruises:

Antigua, Aruba, Barbados, Bonaire, British Virgin Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Haiti, Jamaica, Mexico, Puerto Rico (Usa), St. Kitts, St. Maarten, St. Thomas & St. Lucia.

If you miss the ship, they will go into your cabin and open the safe....the security officer CAN do that...they will take your stuff and leave it at port.

Cruisers do not need to take a passport ashore. You should have some form of ID on you, though...and your DL is the same size as your ship's key....

Ditto! At ports of call leave your passport books in the cabin safe unless told by the ship to take it with you.

As was said the ships used to keep ALL passports of non US citizens. They were returned the every last day but not before.

Our passports are put in our safe until the last morning when we get off the ship. WE have heard many times the CD saying "Never take your passport off the ship". Stolen passports can be sold for big $$$$.

I took a coloured copy of the key page in our passports to Staples, and had it laminated. This is so easy to find in my purse and of course will last for 10 years.

It's an alternative to DL which we often don't bring when travelling just in case of any purse snatching.

And I believe I found this idea on CC but cannot give proper credit to a helpful poster.

Ruth

Edited by Been There, Planning That

As was said the ships used to keep ALL passports of non US citizens. They were returned the every last day but not before.

Our passports are put in our safe until the last morning when we get off the ship. WE have heard many times the CD saying "Never take your passport off the ship". Stolen passports can be sold for big $$$$.

That must be a long time ago. We have been cruising since 90s and not once have our Passports been retained.

I took a coloured copy of the key page in our passports to Staples, and had it laminated. This is so easy to find in my purse and of course will last for 10 years.

It's an alternative to DL which we often don't bring when travelling just in case of any purse snatching.

And I believe I found this idea on CC but cannot give proper credit to a helpful poster.

Ruth

I am fairly certain that CBP agents would not be enamored with laminated colored copies of picture passport pages. Which begs the question why one would expect officials in other countries to be more accommodating?

That must be a long time ago. We have been cruising since 90s and not once have our Passports been retained.

I can recall at least one (Caribbean) cruise post 2005 in which the cruise line (RCI) held my (Canadian) passport for the first part of the voyage.

I am fairly certain that CBP agents would not be enamored with laminated colored copies of picture passport pages. Which begs the question why one would expect officials in other countries to be more accommodating?

It wouldn't get us out of a country or back into Canada, only back on the ship as photo ID.

Ruth

Actually we had ours held last yr

It depends on the ports you are visiting I think as we had them returned to us this year

More for photo I.D. but if your passport is stolen it can expedite getting a new one

The photo copy has all the information on it

Do many people have the passport number handy incase they need it ??