Anything new on Harvest Caye?

TNCruzer56

I guess it's gonna be caveat emptor! We will most certainly inquire first before placing any order to be certain vendor will accept CC. Don't like carrying around cash, especially in a beach surrounding.

Scanditaly

We were able to use our room cards, but I'm sure there are kinks still. The pool bartenders couldn't keep up with demand, things like that. And again, I didn't like the sand on the beach, too coarse.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were able to use our room cards, but I'm sure there are kinks still. The pool bartenders couldn't keep up with demand, things like that. And again, I didn't like the sand on the beach, too coarse.

I agree with you that the sand was very coarse, and it was gray, not the pretty white sands you see all over the Caribbean.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with you that the sand was very coarse, and it was gray, not the pretty white sands you see all over the Caribbean.

After just coming from Roatan where it was beautiful and baby fine, it was a stark comparison.

Here is a photo of the entire island taken from my In-Law's balcony:

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=39889&cat=521

Notice anything?

Doesn't seem so big, does it? That green mass at the right of the image is the mangroves.

I was on the Getaway for its initial docking on 11/23. It was overcast and even rained some throughout the day. And you still could not get a beach chair and were lucky to get a poolside lounger. It took me over 20 minutes to get two beers at the Landshark.

If the Getaway or a ship in that size class ever docks on a sunny day with highs in the low 80's...the island will be overwhelmed. The place is just not big enough for that size ship.

Don't forget the pax who will tender to the mainland?

Can you take a Tender to the mainland if you are not on a NCL ship excursion. If so then does anyone know any details: Cost. Scheduled times tender runs. length of time it takes to get to Mainland port? Just wondering if you can book a private tour or just go to off the island on your own.

Thanks

Ashley

Ok... I have read through a lot of this post (not quite all of it), I am putting in my two cents...

There are a lot of positive posts, and for those, I am grateful. I am really surprised by the negative responses, and I supposed it has to be a matter of people's expectations not being met. But let's put a couple of things into perspective...

The island and activities need some additional work - understandable - This has been a long time in the making, and I honestly am glad they opened it instead of postponing it even further. We were supposed to stop here last February, so I am excited we will finally be able to go next month.

You cannot use your UBP and the food prices are high - Let's keep in mind... while this is an NCL island, it is supported by Belizians, who need to earn a living. How would they get paid if no one bought anything. We always load up on locally made toys and trinkets to help support the beautiful countries/ports we visit. So why should this be any different? I will gladly pay for a slightly overpriced meal and/or drink if it means someone can help support their family. Everyone has the option of going back to the boat to eat if you do not want to pay.

From what I have seen of the pictures and videos, this place is beautiful, and I cannot wait. Thank you all to those of you who recognized the beauty and posted about it!

Thanks for the response TheDougOut... I have been following your review (awesome!) and saw your pictures. I am in agreement and, I cannot understand why people are saying the prices are high here...

Edited by JillL

We were there on Black Friday. All aboard was noon so didn't eat drink but did lots of Activities. Kids LOVED rope course and zip lining and parasailing. They have really made it into a gorgeous resort style feel. The workers there were very kind. I was nervous about ds (7) going on the zip line - the person who went tandem with him explained they go through 200 hours of training. He had a blast!

I see what you are saying. I guess I was a bit disappointed since I was planning on hanging by the beach/pool and relaxing. I thought we would have nice soft sand, not so. I didn't even want to walk on it without my sandals. The drinks were a tad lower priced then on the ship but not by a whole lot. And the fact that you swipe your key card leads me to think it isn't all going to the locals. I'm all for supporting local establishments. I think I would have stayed longer if it didn't rain.

JillL - I thought the food prices were surprisingly reasonable, with LARGE portions. Drinks, on the other hand, were priced as you'd expect (not neighborhood-bar cheap).

ebe2df218a143d20bfeef311042ce219.jpg

6e777e5dcdabe742b1982f3a883ac2c4.jpg

OMG those prices are so reasonable. It's vacation! I think we paid that price or even more at Margaritaville Resort in Hollywood.

If the Getaway or a ship in that size class ever docks on a sunny day with highs in the low 80's...the island will be overwhelmed. The place is just not big enough for that size ship.

The Getaway will be visiting HC 27 times in 2017, while the Escape will be there 12 times between May and October.

There was nobody checking bags or even saying we weren't allowed to bring food & drinks off the ship onto HC.

We all got off the ship carrying mugs full of mimosa and soda with snacks in our bags. No one said a word.

It's the reverse that's not allowed. They wouldn't even allow us to bring unopened water bottles from the cabana onto the ship.

Had a 6 pack cooler with beer and ice when we visited Grand Turk and we chilled poolside and enjoyed the beers that I had gotten through Carnival's Cheers program. I'm sure that more than one person had a large bubba keg filled with their favorite concoction while visiting Harvest Caye.

I suspect this pay for approach will take some time to adjust to...or not....most Private Islands have the food (buffet) included and the beverage package (if purchased and limited/applicable) included.

Its understandable to recognize that this is a departure from what many are accustomed to, including myself with several mainsteam lines and private islands under our belts.

We did book for this option with NCL (repeat cruiser) just to see this port stop, we did book a fancy cabana too. We like repeating private islands that are comfortable to us 'overall'.

F&B is part of the 'overall'.

We will see if this is a one hit wonder for us...living vicariously though all of you until 'then'...

Thanks until 'then' and enjoying the ride...:D

Edited by MizDemeanor

I suspect this pay for approach will take some time to adjust to...or not....most Private Islands have the food (buffet) included and the beverage package (if purchased and limited/applicable) included.

Its understandable to recognize that this is a departure from what many are accustomed to, including myself with several mainsteam lines and private islands under our belts.

We did book for this option with NCL (repeat cruiser) just to see this port stop, we did book a fancy cabana too. We like repeating private islands that are comfortable to us 'overall'.

F&B is part of the 'overall'.

We will see if this is a one hit wonder for us...living vicariously though all of you until 'then'...

Thanks until 'then' and enjoying the ride...:D

Remember that HC is NOT considered a private island, but rather a private port shared with Belize...GSC, Labadee, Castaway Cay, Princess Cay, Half Moon Cay, and Coco Cay are private islands...people who work on those islands are employed by the CRUISE LINE...HC's workers are employed by Belize..I will be visiting HC next November on the Getaway, and hopefully by then, all the hickups will be fixed...I have been to all private islands, and Disney's Castaway Cay is by FAR the nicest & best PI I have ever been to, with HAL'S Half Moon Cay 2nd IMO...I believe Carnival's new Amber Cove in the Dominican Republic is also a private port, not a private island....

Big Al

I am interested in doing the zipline, but the only time available through the NCL site is 8:01am. Any reason for this? Could you just go up any time of the day and do it?

I am not really sure how HC works.