Carnival to Roll Out For-Fee Room Service Fleetwide

LauraS

Love the New carnival marketing plan. Serve crappy room service food and then charge if you want anything decent.

They have already done this in the dining room now they are doing it with room service.

Do not buy this food unless you want more of this Nickle and Dimeing.

Might want to check what other cruise lines have done, especially the nickel and dime perspective. You being a cruiser that frequents many different lines, I would have thought knew that. Go figure..... The logic of "don't do that unless you want this", falls down on several fronts, but thanks for the sage advice.

Edited by jimbo5544

Love the New carnival marketing plan. Serve crappy room service food and then charge if you want anything decent.

They have already done this in the dining room now they are doing it with room service.

I'll buy it gladly if I so choose. And I'm sure at some point in our upcoming cruises we will.

Many food items we enjoy remain free of charge on the room service menu. So we will undoubtedly order both the free and for- fee items. Sorry you're unhappy with the change. I don't like every change either - like being kicked out of the past guest party. Lol. But I still very much enjoy Carnival. I could see if the entire menu went to fee based but it's not. They may get to that point but at least they aren't going from 0-60 with it all at once like other lines have done.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Edited by cruizinisthebest

It seems to me that in this case being "nickled and dimed" is purely a choice.

The old items on the room service menu are still there - included in the fare. The pay items are add-ons to the existing menu.

Choose them and pay - or not. It's totally the passenger's choice.

Not sure why the big drama about the added options.

Edited by summersigh

Here is the menu - you will note many items are still no charge - and as mentioned you may choose a 'pay' item if you wish?

As far as I know the breakfast 'hanger' card is still the same and does include smoked salmon :)

BREAKFAST

Continental Breakfast available upon request.

Simply complete the door hanger menu...

and hang it outside your stateroom by 5 AM

the evening prior or call anytime.

SANDWICHES

Served with Potato Salad, Coleslaw, Potato Chips

or Pretzels. Choose White, Whole Wheat,

Rye or gluten free Bread.

Tuna Salad

Roast Turkey

Ham and Cheese

Peanut Butter and Jelly

Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato

Grilled American Cheese

Grilled Reuben

with Corned Beef and Swiss Cheese

SALADS

Garden Salad

Choice of Ranch, 1,000 Island, Balsamic Vinaigrette, Blue Cheese or Fat Free Honey Mustard Dressing

Caesar Salad

House Made Dressing, Shaved Parmesan Cheese

Market Vegetable Platter

Assorted Garden Vegetables with Dips

AVAILABLE AT AN A D D I T I O N A L C H A R G E

Totally Awesome Wings $5.00 Tossed in Your Choice of: • Honey BBQ • Buffalo Sauce • Garlic Parmesan • Teriyaki • Caribbean Jerk

Chicken Tenders $5.00 Crispy Panko Breaded Chicken Tenders with a Choice of BBQ or Honey Mustard sauce

Spicy Fried Firecracker Shrimp $6 Spiced Shrimp, Panko Coated and Fried with Chili Ginger Dip, Served with French Fries

Killer Chicken Quesadilla $5.00 Grilled Chipotle Seasoned Chicken, Onions, Peppers and Grated Monterey Jack Cheese. Fresh Pico de Gallo, Guacamole

Authentic Philly Cheesesteak $5.00 Frizzled Steak, Melted Cheese and Grilled Onions on a Hoagie Roll, Served with French Fries

Pan Pizza $5.00 Hand-Stretched Dough, Topped with Fresh Ingredients and Baked to Order. Cheese, Pepperoni, or Ham and Pineapple

Side of Fries $1.50 Just Right for You… Tell the Others to Order Their Own

Sweet Potato Fries $2.00

Old Fashioned Banana Split $4.00

COMPLIMENTARY DESSERTS

New York Cheesecake

Assorted Cookies

Chocolate Cake

BEVERAGES

Juices

Orange, Tomato, Apple, Grapefruit

Regular or Decaffeinated Coffee

Hot Tea - Iced Tea

Hot Chocolate - Milk

Skim Milk - Chocolate Milk

Edited by Froufie

While I would rather that "everything" was included in my cruise fare, that doesn't seem to be the way the industry is going so it's not like there's a lot of main stream choices for cruise lines who don't charge for a bunch of "extras" (sorry Crystal, Seabourn, etc. are not main stream choices).

I'm interested to try a few of the new items but if I'm realistic with myself - I probably won't. As long as the "free" (or rather - included in my cruise fare) stuff is still on the menu, I'll probably stick to those.

OTOH, I'm finally becoming okay with paying for lattes at the coffee place these next cruises. I am not going to deny myself good coffee for the sake of a few bucks. This means that in a year or two, I'll end up ordering from the pay room service menu as well. :o

One thing I haven't seen asked - when they rolled out the test, the ships that had Bonsai Sushi also had pay-a-fee Sushi available through room service - any word if that's going to continue?

Carnival made minor changes to the free room service menu, and added many new a la carte items. There is no nickle and diming here. You still have free room service for the things you had before, but if you want some fancier stuff you get to pay for it. It is a win - win situation. If you don't like this go to NCL where the only free room service is continental breakfast.

I see that some people just can't accept change... and nothing would make them happy... Nothing...

Last cruise someone at our table was complaining about the brand of milk and said they would never cruise with Carnival again... really??? just whiners, and usually can't afford to cruise again anyway.. We got up and walked out of breakfast.

Don't want it, don't buy it... duh. simple

Edited by poison7fl

I see that some people just can't accept change... and nothing would make them happy... Nothing...

Last cruise someone at our table was complaining about the brand of milk and said they would never cruise with Carnival again... really??? just whiners, and usually can't afford to cruise again anyway.. We got up and walked out of breakfast.

Don't want it, don't buy it... duh. simple

Whining for whining's sake-- seems like it's not unique to Carnival.

I'm not necessarily opposed to this. Usually when I am on vacation, i'm willing to spend a little more. Any other scenario, i'd just roll my eyes. Carnival is evidently makes a living betting on the same thing.

What I always find is every time a company starts to roll out nickle and diming for their loyal customers (and they are. Face it.), most people just nod their heads and go along with it. The said customers then begin chanting the phrase "take from us an inch and we will let you go a mile" outside company HQ as Carnival's CEO smiles from his office chair, petting is cat in his lap.

Stay tuned. More to come.

With time comes change. I don't mind paying for room service. Not if I want the items that cost. And if I don't then it doesn't matter to me.

Cruising will always be overwhelming all-inclusive. Yes as time goes on companies add on charging for things here and there. They are also adding new ships, offering better WiFi services, building new ports, etc. Surely there are better things to do than to keep complaining about room service charges and worrying about what's to come.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

I feel the exact same way. As long as the whole room service menu doesn't go "for a fee", then I'm totally OK with this. Nobody's MAKING me order the things that cost however much they cost.

Just Wait!!! Room Service (All) for a fee is Coming!!!

I'm not necessarily opposed to this. Usually when I am on vacation, i'm willing to spend a little more. Any other scenario, i'd just roll my eyes. Carnival is evidently makes a living betting on the same thing.

What I always find is every time a company starts to roll out nickle and diming for their loyal customers (and they are. Face it.), most people just nod their heads and go along with it. The said customers then begin chanting the phrase "take from us an inch and we will let you go a mile" outside company HQ as Carnival's CEO smiles from his office chair, petting is cat in his lap.

Stay tuned. More to come.

Carnival is being run by Spectre??????? Well as of the Changes made by Carnival ...I should have guessed that!!!!!!

and you are basing this premonition on????

Probably the fact that companies tend to follow the lowest cost provider. Remember when we would laugh at Ryanair charging for baggage? Now most airlines do. NCL got rid of free room service, and Celebrity had upcharge menu items like these back in 2013, and MSC only had breakfast room service (no option for lunch/dinner even if you were willing to pay). So it's probably not an unreasonable premonition.

Probably the fact that companies tend to follow the lowest cost provider. Remember when we would laugh at Ryanair charging for baggage? Now most airlines do. NCL got rid of free room service, and Celebrity had upcharge menu items like these back in 2013, and MSC only had breakfast room service (no option for lunch/dinner even if you were willing to pay). So it's probably not an unreasonable premonition.

NCL is far from the lowest cost provider and they were first out of the chute with charging for room service. Having an option to purchase an item isn't the same thing, at least in my book.

Carnival is close to the last to adopt any for fee room service. Same could be said for maintaining a true MDR experience. I could list a lot of other things along this line. That was the basis of my question, I would say it be a very low probability of happening.

Carnival is close to the last to adopt any for fee room service. Same could be said for maintaining a true MDR experience. I could list a lot of other things along this line. That was the basis of my question, I would say it be a very low probability of happening.

Unless you have inside information no one can say with any certainty whether it will or won't happen. I agree with the other poster that this is probably the lead into what will be a charge for all room service. They test it out on a few items to see how receptive people are and then roll it out to everything. It's less of a change and less likely to get complaints if they do it little by little.

I don't see it as a good or a bad thing. How many people order room service and waste the food? Having to pay for it probably cuts down on waste. But I do find it amusing that not that long ago people here were bashing royal for charging a small fee for room service from 12am to 5 am. How it was looked at as nickel and diming and now that carnival is doing something similar it is no longer a bad thing. Lol.