Regal Princess January 17-24 - Long

CATGUY7

We flew to Ft. Lauderdale on Thursday, January 14th, before the Regal sailed on Sunday the 17th, due to our airline's flight schedule. We usually fly in the day before, but never three days in advance. It was fantastic.

I had reserved the Renaissance Hotel through an online travel booking site as we had stayed there previously. I kept reading good reviews of Embassy Suites, and on Monday, checked pricing and availability. The price was $35.00 cheaper for the three nights (with a AAA discount), in a premium suite, which included breakfast and the manager's reception, as do all the suites. The premium suites also entitle guests to free use of the vending machines on the suite floor. Selection wasn't huge, but free bottles of water and small snacks were nice. The room had a wet bar in the living space area, with a refrigerator, a microwave and a Keurig. The separated bedroom was very nice when one spouse is an early riser and the other is not.

We arrived in Ft. Lauderdale around 8:30 pm Thursday evening, picked up the rental car (LOVE not having to take a shuttle to pick up the car!!) and were at the hotel before 9:00. We hadn't eaten since late morning, so we ate at the hotel restaurant. Very relaxing, with the waterfalls in the lobby, and we were the only people there. We ordered a margarita pizza, and it was fantastic. Very pleasant start to our trip.

Friday's requirement was to purchase the liquids that we hadn't brought with us. Shampoo, sunscreen, etc. - things we didn't pack to reduce the luggage weight. The weather was rainy, but mild. No chance of hitting the beach, but much better than the cold we left at home. So we drove to a Target several miles away to purchase what we needed, and then returned to the TJ Maxx in the Harbor Shops behind Embassy Suites, just a few doors down from Total Wine and Publix. Very walkable, but since it was pouring rain, we drove.

Late afternoon, we walked to Carrabbas, which is about two blocks away on the same side of the street. Another wonderful dinner.

A word of caution regarding suites 1103, 1104 and 1105. The fitness center is on the 12th floor, directly above them. Friday night someone was on the treadmill, and the thumping was extremely annoying. These suites also face 17th Street, and we found the street traffic both Friday night and Saturday night to be quite noisy - particularly from the motorcycles that seem to race down it. In the future I would book a suite that faces any of the other three directions.

Saturday the weather was pretty, and after breakfast at the hotel, we headed to Ft. Lauderdale Beach Park. It is a beautiful wide beach about two miles from the hotel. After several hours there, we headed back to the hotel to change, and had a late lunch/early dinner at the 15th Street Fisheries. We had a table outside and it was nice to watch the boat traffic alongside the restaurant.

We were up, had finished breakfast, and were on our way to return the rental car by 8:45. We dropped the car off at the Hertz agency in Crowne Plaza, and a shuttle took us to port. We were in line by 9:30, and were the 16th and 17th in the preferred line. By 10:30, there were at least 200 people in both lines. Doors didn't open until 11:00, and check-in only took about 5 minutes. We walked upstairs, and were in the first group to board after suite/elite passengers. We stopped Alfredo's for lunch, which wasn't crowded at all, but I must say the service wasn't perfect. I think the waiter forgot our drinks - it took at least 15 minutes to get them. But it's the first day, and we're on a cruise, so... Our pizza came shortly thereafter, and was good. We headed to our room, which was ready.

We found our cabin, but I've never seen so many confused people on a ship. People getting off the elevator on floors only to find that they couldn't get where they wanted to be, and then getting back on. Our cabin was B736, an aft premium deluxe with the large partially covered balcony. We used the aft stairs often, which we found convenient. We found that if we needed to be at the front of the ship, it was far easier to walk across the Baja deck past the staterooms and down the front stairs. We really didn't see the lack of the center staircase as a problem.

The show in the Princess Theatre was comedian Troy Thirdgill, and he was funny. The show was hosted by Cruise Director Paul Chandler-Burns, and he was quite funny too.

Monday was our stop at Princess Cays. It began as a mostly cloudy day, but the benefit was that it took people a while to tender over. Once the sun came out, the island filled. We were back on board shortly before the last tender ran. We had purchased use of the thermal suite, and headed there. After we were thoroughly relaxed, we dressed and had dinner in Horizon Court. It was Italian night in the main dining room, and that of course carried over into Horizon Court. Some dishes we tried weren't to our liking, but we found several that were. We left full, and headed to MUTS, where the Tom Hanks movie Bridge of Spies was showing. Blankets are available, but are being "checked out" with a name and room number. People were complaining about having to give them that information. I assume that, at some point, blankets were disappearing. I didn't really find it to be such a big issue - either provide the information and receive a blanket, or don't. It's a service that doesn't have to be provided. (I will say that I think a better system is in order. Returning the blankets took about 10 minutes, and a hand-written list makes little sense when a swipe of the room card could make the process faster.)

Tuesday was a sea day, and the first formal night. The Crab Shack was also open. We couldn't decide which to do, and missed both. The Martian was showing on MUTS. Blankets were again being checked out, but a deck steward gave out a few without requiring information. Maybe he didn't get the memo. But as we got on the elevator after the movie was over, a woman was wearing the blanket around her shoulders. Another lady on the elevator told her she was supposed to return it, and she replied that she would, after she got her jacket.

Wednesday was a port day in Grand Cayman. Five ships were there, and it felt very crowded. We shopped a little, and returned to the ship to drop off our purchases.

Side Note: Blackbeard's Rum Cakes are delicious! We had planned to bring home a few Tortuga Cakes as gifts, but the women in the shop were more interested in talking to each other than helping us. We later found Blackbeard's, where they gave free samples, are $5.00 cheaper per large cake, and offered a buy 2/get 1 free special. And the original is awesome!!

We ended up staying on the ship, as the pool area was almost empty. Dinner plans included the Crown Grill, which was delicious. The MUTS movie was the newest Mission: Impossible movie, and it was packed. We were about halfway though the movie when it started to rain, so we had to finish watching it in our room the next day.

Thursday we docked in Costa Maya, and had reservations at Maya Chan. We didn't dock until 12:00, so it was almost 1:00 when we arrived. We walked outside the dock area to a taxi stand, were directed to a kiosk and signed in for a ride to Maya Chan. After we arrived we were met by Mark, who gave us information and showed us to our spot. The day was rainy, but this place was so relaxing that the rain didn't matter. It has wifi, so we sat under a palapa, read, and checked email. They brought chips, guacamole, salsa and a drink as soon as we sat down. And kept bringing them. The meal was fantastic - tortillas with a choice of steak, chicken, fish or pork, with fresh salsa, guacamole, various sauces, beans - delightful. The clouds broke, and the sun came came out a little. There were perhaps 20 people there when we got there - about half left shortly thereafter to head back to one of the other two ships in port. It is a wonderful way to spend the day. Taxis are scheduled through them.

Friday we docked in Cozumel. Two other ships in port. The day began as cloudy, with rain in the forecast. The clouds finally parted for the sun. We spent the day at Nachicocom Beach Club, near Mr. Sanchos. The taxi ride was $17.00, and took about 15 minutes. We were greeted with, almost immediately, a welcome margarita. The drinks were offered almost as soon as one was finished, but we weren't offered a menu. After the couple next to us received chips and guacamole, we asked for that. Later we had to ask about a menu for lunch. We received it, but had to go to the table area to place our order. We received the order pretty quickly. No big deal - we were on a beach with sunshine; while at home, they were dealing with 13 inches of snow. We headed back to the ship after we'd been there about 4 hours, shopped a little, and then went to the thermal suite. Only two other people there.

The second Crab Shack was held that night, the second formal night. This time we were able to make reservations. We had the Mixed Steamer, and it was a basket shared by the two of us. It was good, but there really is a lot of food. We felt guilty for wasting anything, but after the appetizer and the soup, we had no room for the potatoes, corn, or the sausage. We would have been quite happy with just the crab. The MUTS movie was Woman In Gold. That night, the seas turned a little rough, and maneuvering around the ship was a bit hard. It continued into the next day.

Saturday. Our last sea day. The seas were still rough, so walking around gave us opportunities to meet all kinds of new people, up close and personal. So we spent most of the day relaxing on the balcony. We took in a round of Bingo, and won the first game. At least it paid for the Bingo! Packing is always the hardest part - especially if your baggage was close to the weight limit to start. Rum cakes are heavy! I really need to learn how to pack.

Also, I loved Princess@Sea. I love being able to access the Internet from my phone while on the ship. There were lines at the Internet Cafe on the last day - it was so handy just to sign on from anywhere in the ship and check flight information, check in at home, check our account, purchase future cruise credits, and see what events were scheduled for the day. I really appreciated having the access.

I also loved the in-room entertainment system. It was nice to be able to start a movie, pause it, and then resume it later.

We had a wonderful, relaxing time. Back to reality, and the snow.

Very nice review.

RE: the blankets at MUTS. A while back there was a a part of a thread where a number of people saw no problem with taking blankets back to their cabins for use on the balcony for the duration of the cruise. My reaction was 'who would ever think that was okay?' I guess Princess agrees with me.

Thanks for the review.

We sail on the Royal in 3 weeks and you've really made me even more ecited than I already was.

(We're in B739 , next door to your cabin)

I hope you have a wonderful time. It's a great ship!

Very nice review.

RE: the blankets at MUTS. A while back there was a a part of a thread where a number of people saw no problem with taking blankets back to their cabins for use on the balcony for the duration of the cruise. My reaction was 'who would ever think that was okay?' I guess Princess agrees with me.

I imagine you're right.

Very nice review.

:) Ditto!

Op, thanks for your review. Sounds like you enjoyed the cruise. I hope you can get home today without any problems.

Op, thanks for your review. Sounds like you enjoyed the cruise. I hope you can get home today without any problems.

Our flight is slightly delayed (by minutes, so far), but there are folks from New York who can't get out until Wednesday.

Hi Mom,

we've sail the Regal a few times, always in a deluxe balcony, never a "balcony" really didn't now there was a difference, but there is, about 70 s.f. I saw you stayed in E 433 how was the cabin for size, did you feel cramp. Was there enough closet space? we are planning 2b2 cruises in april transatlantic and r.t. Copenhagen with a stop in St. Petersburg... Not sure if we should keep that cabin or pay the extra 250. a person for the deluxe... looking forward to your help thanks Judy..... aka travelinggrammy

Edited by travelinggrammy

Very nice review.

So what's wrong with keeping a blanket to use at the cold lounge in the afternoon to watch a movie? They're not available at that time.

I've never seen anything that said they must be returned after the MUTS movie on deck. Let them keep track & I'll return them at the end of the cruise when we're finished using them or provide a location to obtain them all the time.

Maybe they should provide 2 in each cabin like the robes & bring you own to wherever you want. This way no one would need to sign out for them.

Thanks for the Regal review. Sounds like the weather could have been better, but that we cant control. We board Jan. 31st. for our first b2b and first time on this ship. We are so ready to leave this cold behind for a couple of weeks.

Hi Mom,

we've sail the Regal a few times, always in a deluxe balcony, never a "balcony" really didn't now there was a difference, but there is, about 70 s.f. I saw you stayed in E 433 how was the cabin for size, did you feel cramp. Was there enough closet space? we are planning 2b2 cruises in april transatlantic and r.t. Copenhagen with a stop in St. Petersburg... Not sure if we should keep that cabin or pay the extra 250. a person for the deluxe... looking forward to your help thanks Judy..... aka travelinggrammy

Hi Judy....we had no problems with space in E 433 on the Regal. It doesn't have the love seat but the storage and bath were equal to what we had in the Deluxe cabin on the Royal. We enjoyed the location of the cabin, the extra sized balcony, the view and the price [emoji1]. I would book it again. If you wouldn't miss the little sofa, it's a keeper.

Thanks for the great review. We are on the Regal Feb 7th. Can't wait and your review has made me even more excited. Good luck with the trip home. Snow looks bad. If you drive home from airport, be safe.

Thank you! Our flight has been delayed 2 hours now, but it looks like we'll get out then. Hope you have a great time!!

Edited by CATGUY7
Misspelling

Thanks for the Regal review. Sounds like the weather could have been better, but that we cant control. We board Jan. 31st. for our first b2b and first time on this ship. We are so ready to leave this cold behind for a couple of weeks.

The only bad thing about leaving cold temperature is having to come back to them. 😎 Enjoy!

Hi Judy....we had no problems with space in E 433 on the Regal. It doesn't have the love seat but the storage and bath were equal to what we had in the Deluxe cabin on the Royal. We enjoyed the location of the cabin, the extra sized balcony, the view and the price [emoji1]. I would book it again. If you wouldn't miss the little sofa, it's a keeper.

thanks for your reply, Now I have to convince my husband that it isn't any big deal... Either way it's going to be a "great" time.... Judy