Boat Hair - Is there a remedy?

true45

Had a wonderful sail on Eclipse Jan 10-24, 2 weeks with the worst dry, flyaway, stand-out, wild, untamable hair ever.

Is it the products? Water? Dry, air conditioned rooms, combo of all 3? I've been on a bunch of cruises on Celebrity and other lines and never had to fight my hair so much.

Help?

Linda

The water is VERY soft on ships, meaning shampoo and conditioner don't rinse easily.... If your hair is affected by humidity, that's what's happening! Tie it back in a ponytail or wear a hat during the day!

I NEVER, EVER used the provided hair products....I bring what works for me!

• Like 2

I always take my own hair products. Depending on the cruise I will also take argan oil, especially in the Caribbean. You might also try Its a 10, a spray moisturizer that does not get rinsed out.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU
  • Like 1

The water is VERY soft on ships, meaning shampoo and conditioner don't rinse easily....

Actually, the exact opposite is true....shampoo and conditioner rinse better in soft water and they don't leave a residue on your hair or skin....you just have to use much less than you would in hard water.

• Like 2

It's the high degree of humidity - you are at sea - plus the salt in the air plus the sun. All of these make styling hair and keeping it looking nice a real challenge, especially if you have naturally curly hair.

1. Bring your own products - select those for humidity.

2. Consider Aussie Instant Freeze hairspray - that works in even the worst weather, but it will make your hair stiff.

3. Wash and style your hair daily to get the salt out of it.

4. Accept that your hair is not going to look perfect. Good enough is good enough.

• Like 3

Actually, the exact opposite is true....shampoo and conditioner rinse better in soft water and they don't leave a residue on your hair or skin....you just have to use much less than you would in hard water.

I was about to answer the same thing! Those who don't use soft water regularly & experience it often falsely think they aren't getting a good rinse. Hard water is VERY drying.

I doubt ship water is soft; I have never noticed it being soft/salty at all (we have soft water at home). If you aren't getting a good rinse it would NOT be dry & flyaway but flat and greasy/grimy (not truly GREASY, but feel as though there is product in it)

Where did you go? If it was a cold or dry climate, that would be to blame. You wouldn't likely have dry hair in a humid climate...unless you stayed indoors most of the time, then A/C could be drying.

I have naturally wavy hair & humidity either makes it flat or curly...

Edited by KKB

Laughing about your topic, but so glad you asked it because I rarely have good cruise hair at sea because of the humidity! I've learned just to pull it back into a pony tail and once in awhile, do it normally (blow dried straight, then flat ironed) for dinner. It's just not worth fighting it IMO. And no, I never use the ship's products.

The best thing to do is go to the salon and have them do your hair once so they can see what's happening and offer suggestions.

Your post made me laugh.....being an ex hair stylist, "hair" has always been a big thing in my life. The one thing I ALWAYS do is pack my own shampoo/conditioner. The ones on the ships smell good but don't do the job. It could be something as simple as how they wash the pillow cases. Take a fabric sheet with you & constantly run it over your brush...this will help with static. Also, if you have a newer blow dryer you might want to pack it..older models do not have an Ionizer to prevent static. Also, it could just be the water....prior to going switch to a spray made specifically for humidity control.....if all else fails....wear a hat!!! Good luck.....I struggle with this each and evertime I cruise!!

I was about to answer the same thing! Those who don't use soft water regularly & experience it often falsely think they aren't getting a good rinse. Hard water is VERY drying.

I doubt ship water is soft; I have never noticed it being soft/salty at all (we have soft water at home). If you aren't getting a good rinse it would NOT be dry & flyaway but flat and greasy/grimy (not truly GREASY, but feel as though there is product in it)

Where did you go? If it was a cold or dry climate, that would be to blame. You wouldn't likely have dry hair in a humid climate...unless you stayed indoors most of the time, then A/C could be drying.

I have naturally wavy hair & humidity either makes it flat or curly...

The definition of "Soft" water is water with very low Calcium and Magnesium ion content. "Soft" doesn't = salty, EXCEPT if you have "Hard" water that you make "Soft" by substituting Sodium ions for the Calcium and Magnesium ions in "Hard" water that make the water inefficient at removing the surfactants and soaps in cleaning products. This is how home and industrial water softeners work.

The water on cruise ships is made by reverse osmosis filtration of sea water, that removes virtually ALL of the Alkali Metal and Alkaline Earth Metal ions (Sodium, Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, etc). The water on the ship is "soft" because it has virtually no mineral content. The ship's water should be more efficient at removing soaps, etc than any water at home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

it was a long sailing and I did try my own conditioner one time but it made no difference. Hair was still awful. So much worse than other sailings. I do have wavy hair.

Thanks for the suggestions

Linda

I find this thread funny and a bit interesting.

Are you insinuating that somehow Celebrity ships caused this issue with your hair? Considering you have been on many cruises and never had this problem before on other ships and cruise lines?

Celebrity has been blamed for many things but I am quite sure this is a new one :)

In an effort to increase revenue from the salon, Celebrity is trying a new air additive on the eclipse that applies an almost invisible coating to everyone's hair causing unmanageable "boat hair". In concert with the air conditioning modification, they have also eliminated the rinse agent from the water so that any shampoo or conditioner will leave a slight residue....and as an aside, they have also added salt to the water in an effort to increase the sale of water at all bars.

By the way...when you hear Marco, that means "bring your money" in Urdu...it has nothing at all to do with game. You will soon see a new advertising slogan....Any day on Celebrity is a bad hair day.

• Haha 2

The short answer: it's the water. There is a lot of sodium in the water (confirmed by a Hotel Director on board). We know some female officers on X ships who have told us that the ship's water has ruined their hair. One even gave up coloring her hair because the water not only stripped her color out, it made it extremely dry. I had the same thing happen to me, especially on longer cruises.

Now on all our cruises we use Six Thirteen (a Wen product) which is very hydrating. It has been a tremendous help. Also, for problems with humidity, try "Straight" spray by Living Proof. I have found it works wonders.

• Like 1

I find this thread funny and a bit interesting.

Are you insinuating that somehow Celebrity ships caused this issue with your hair? Considering you have been on many cruises and never had this problem before on other ships and cruise lines?

Celebrity has been blamed for many things but I am quite sure this is a new one :)

Seriously?

I guess you missed the other posts with passengers describing their own experiences with this hair issue.

I asked for help and suggestions which I got in the thread.

Frangipani Conditioning Hair and Scalp Ritual ....my sister loves them!!

Thanks

.I could not recall name. Odd b/c I bought some of the product and still have some left.....really helped and has a great fragrance,..