Motion on the Big Ships?

jules815

We'll be on the Harmony Transatlantic in October.

How's the motion on the larger ships?

We watched an old episode of Great Ships the other night that was the inaugural sailing of Oasis. The captain went on and on about how stable the ship is and that passengers wouldn't feel any motion at all.

We're not bothered by rough seas, and even enjoy an occasional storm at sea.

Have any of you been on an Oasis class ship during rough weather and felt movement?

All modern cruise ships are well stabilized. Certainly the larger ships will handle the rougher seas somewhat better than the smaller ones relative to the sea conditions.

But any ship is subject to motion and all ships will reflect those effects to some degree in heavier seas. How the motion will be in your case is impossible to predict, but if there are rough conditions, your ship will have motion.

My roughest night EVER was on the Oasis. The ship rocked and rolled all night long. Our closet doors kept banging back and forth. Did not know how to fix them so they wouldn't make so much noise.

I kept thinking that the big boats were not supposed to have much movement and wondered how rough it must be to be rocking and rolling like that. Did not get up to check. :rolleyes::D

We have not experienced really bad weather yet, but mostly a gentle rocking. It feels like your walking to one side or the other. We did hit gale force winds the day we left Wellington, NZ and the Radiance handled it beautifully and she is no where near the size of the Oasis Class. We supposedly had up to 30 foot waves. This was March of 2014.

We normally don't have issues, however on our last day of our Allure eastern cruise both DH & DD had issues. The winds were hitting the ship broadside causing a weird motion. The crew reminded us the ship is similar to a large building sailing through a "flat" ocean. So yes you can feel motion on any ship if the conditions are there.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Agree with Bob, was on a ship going through big storm off NY/Carolina (Quantum) and captain slowed and hugged the coast, but it didn't matter it was a day and a half of rocking, rolling, pitching, etc.

Hit the Caribbean and smooth as glass.

Have you joined our Roll Call for this sailing? Much good information to be had and friendships to be made! Go to the roll call forum and look for Harmony of the Seas TA.

We watched an old episode of Great Ships the other night that was the inaugural sailing of Oasis. The captain went on and on about how stable the ship is and that passengers wouldn't feel any motion at all.

Have any of you been on an Oasis class ship during rough weather and felt movement?

By far, the roughest cruise we have been on was the oasis. I am a non drinker but to see me walking down the hall way, leaning into the wall you would think I was smashed. Many people were sick, including quite a few crew members who had to book off work. The smoothest cruise we had was on Radiance in Alaska. No movement at all.

We normally don't have issues, however on our last day of our Allure eastern cruise both DH & DD had issues. The winds were hitting the ship broadside causing a weird motion. The crew reminded us the ship is similar to a large building sailing through a "flat" ocean. So yes you can feel motion on any ship if the conditions are there.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

i agree with you. There was lot of tall building i was in and i can feel the sway motion from the wind.

Top heavy no, but the largest cruise liners, which are larger than the newest air craft carriers, will ride rougher in heavy seas than the aircraft carriers.

Why you ask, even though the newest cruise liners are heavier and a little longer than the newest aircraft carriers? Because the aircraft carriers have about a 10 foot greater draugh than the cruise liners.

Cruise liners will tend to roll more in rough seas than carriers.

Certainly not top heavy. Wouldn't be floating if it was

• 11 months later...

I am on the Oasis now and this is the roughest cruise with the longest amount motion I have been on. The captain has warned us several times seas are rough and be careful and it can be hard to walk at times. He tried a different course than usual last night and it helped for a while but overall we have rocked and rolled all the time since Sunday!

Interestingly, it does not seem to be making people sick though. I am taking my usual precautions as I am very prone to motion sickness but I have not felt sick even once. We are all just sick of the motion and it woke me up this morning!

I am on the Oasis now and this is the roughest cruise with the longest amount motion I have been on. The captain has warned us several times seas are rough and be careful and it can be hard to walk at times. He tried a different course than usual last night and it helped for a while but overall we have rocked and rolled all the time since Sunday!

Interestingly, it does not seem to be making people sick though. I am taking my usual precautions as I am very prone to motion sickness but I have not felt sick even once. We are all just sick of the motion and it woke me up this morning!

In general (and we have sailed both Oasis and Allure), the large ships display the least and often no noticeable motion. That said, major waves and wind can impact even the largest vessels.

We did the Western bound TA on Allure in Oct 2015 (Barcelona to Fort Laud.). There was a big storm coming across the ocean at the time and the Captain headed a bit more South so we avoided the big portion of it. We ended up with 30 foot swells a couple of times and while I managed ok, the wife got a bit sick once. The ship was moving enough to cause a bit of a problem with walking.

At the same time, I think the Quantum was making a TA but they were taking a northern route (London to New York). Unfortunately for them, they had to go through the brunt of the storm and had 60 foot swells.

We did not envy them.

We were on the Harmony for two weeks in December and were surprised at the amount of movement...there were even barf bags available in the elevator lobbies.

Neither the Oasis nor the Allure had anywhere near that amount of movement and we've been on the about 15 times.

At the same time, I think the Quantum was making a TA but they were taking a northern route (London to New York). Unfortunately for them, they had to go through the brunt of the storm and had 60 foot swells.

We did not envy them.

I don't remember any 60ft swells and only a couple of days of real weather. It was nice enough to use the Flowrider at least 3-4 days of the 8 day crossing.

I don't remember any 60ft swells and only a couple of days of real weather. It was nice enough to use the Flowrider at least 3-4 days of the 8 day crossing.

Ah, that was the rumor we had heard. Maybe it was disinformation to make our movement seem tolerable.

We had one bad-ish day and one kinda-bad day out of our 12 day crossing.

Maybe it was disinformation to make our movement seem tolerable.

Probably. The weird thing about Quantum (and via other reports, the whole class) is the kind of movement she has, doesn't agree with many people's heads. While the Captain mentioned the usual stats (degree of list, wave size, etc...) much of the crowd just didn't believe it. Many very experienced cruisers were not feeling well despite the seemingly low numbers.