Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

Have you paid NO attention? There is another storm brewing between them and Port Canaveral - it is still forming and at this point poses no threat (whereas sailing into it would). They will be following the remnants of what they sailed through which is largely hitting land now. By turning around they should stay in between the systems.

The storm they sailed through is NOT largely hitting land. It's veered off and looks to be centered well off the coast of Delaware & New Jersey. Here's a picture, with the center of circulation pretty obvious. The circulation is less organized than yesterday, and has tracked pretty far north and east, AWAY from land.

332648085a4ad578b948bec3b86e8f3d.jpg

To all onboard.. thanks for the accurate updates, and glad you are all okay. Question.. How are all the kids handleing this situation. I know it's tough as an adult, but must have been worse on the kids.

will keep you all in my prayers for safe returns and start booking that next cruise!

I was wondering the same thing. I couldn't have imagined having my kids with me going through that but couldn't imagine how I would feel with my kids at home and wondering if I would make it through it to be with them again.

So thankful most are doing great and ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Royal shouldn't have a ship in NY/NJ in December- March because the weather. This is not the first time they hit really bad weather. That's why no one cruises from Alaska in February. Royal bring your ship back to Florida for winter months!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Speak for yourself- not for the people that WANT a ship here. You are welcome to fly to Florida. Frankly, if I had to get on a airplane, I would obviously not choose to fly to NY in the middle of the winter to get on a cruise ship (not totally understanding the logic of those that do). But for people within driving distance, it is nice to have options-- yes, options. I book it full well knowing what I'm getting into, and CHOOSE not to fly in February.

I have a question.... if the weather folks knew this was going to be terrible and if it was a hurricane... why no name? Seems to me if this was something everyone should have known about... it would be a named storm. (I am using my husband's cc account... so dont blame him if this is a dumb question)... just wonderin

It's an extratropical storm. Tropical storms get names. Extratropical ones don't - except from the Weather Channel marketing department. ;)

[quote name='4cats,1dog']Royal shouldn't have a ship in NY/NJ in December- March because the weather. This is not the first time they hit really bad weather. That's why no one cruises from Alaska in February. Royal bring your ship back to Florida for winter months!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

You can hit bad weather any time of the year. Was coming back from Bermuda one May and was impacted by a Northeaster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They have happened when there is an incident. Waivers were given a few years ago for the Carnival ships that lost power and ended up back at different US ports than they started from. I don't know if they could have gotten a waiver for this incident but I suspect they could have.

Not saying though that they should have went to Port Canaveral.

That's nice to know - that unusual circumstances might merit a waiver of the PVSA fines. In a case like this one, if they had disembarked all pax in PC, the fine would have been huge. No matter now, as there will be no violation since they are returning to the embarkation port with no stops.

(And I just had a DUH! moment...I realized I said in my previous post that our 2013 TA cruise from NOLA offloaded a medical evacuee and her husband in PC. It wasn't PC, it was Fort Lauderdale. Must have had PC on my mind from reading this thread!)

Judy

Wondering if we will have to get off on Wednesday, I would be happy to chill in bayonet for 3 days :)

We did it the other way for Hurricane Sandy. We sat at the dock for two days before taking off. Once we got over our disappointment in the weather, we had a great time.

Have you been told when you will be expected to get off?e

You Monday morning Quarterback's should stick to second guessing the Panther's playcalling.

You have no idea what information the ship had on this system.

Believe it or not- some storms are unavoidable. Also, sometimes conditions change. Sometimes it is for the better, and sometimes they deteriorate. If they were given information about the storm and it predicted 50 knot winds and they intensified, that is not the fault of the Captain.

Sure- you may be D+members or whatever but you're not a master mariner with YEARS at sea nor do you have the same information they had.

Before you call for the Captain to walk the plank perhaps you should know all the facts.

I have to agree..........but let the lawsuits begin! You know that's going to happen.

Royal shouldn't have a ship in NY/NJ in December- March because the weather. This is not the first time they hit really bad weather. That's why no one cruises from Alaska in February. Royal bring your ship back to Florida for winter months!

If one followed that logic ships would leave Fl June-Nov. for hurricane season. Storms of this magnitude have been fairly rare as are big hurricanes that affect FL. Weather has been weird this year and this may be the new normal for the future.

Using this logic, no cruise line should have ships in Florida during Hurricane season.

To those who are saying that Anthem shouldn't have sailed their planned seven night itinerary all one has to do is read all the uproar that passengers on the delayed Jan. 25th Anthem expressed on the threads about that sailing and its itinerary change. Going north to Canada or east to Bermuda wasn't any better or even a realistic option nor would have been cancelling the cruise completely.

IMO, RCI and not just Capt. Andersen alone made an educated team decision to do what they did and it's unfortunately it didn't turn out too well. As others have mentioned many times in this thread that's what happens with weather related decision as that can be very unpredictable.

Edited by robtulipe

75 mph winds? Been there done that. You deal with it, and so can the ship. I agree with the captain. Obviously 150 mph is another story, and I do not feel the captain saw the potential for that, and once they began to develop there was no escaping it. Anthem is just not that fast.

Exactly! Apples 'N Oranges no comparison.

I don't understand the rush. Now he's going to put them back in rough weather again. Why not dock at Port Canaveral until it all blows over.

1. The storm ahead may be worse than the one behind.

2. Perhaps they have a larger stock of replacement parts / more contractors equipped to make repairs in Bayonne versus PC for this ship.

I have to agree..........but let the lawsuits begin! You know that's going to happen.

There will be no lawsuits from this. No lawyer in his right mind would take this type of case. Suing cruise line is notoriously hard thanks to the barbarian terms and conditions cruisers agree to when sailing and the ships being out of foreign countries. People can complain all they want but what RCL gave offered is the most they will get.

Before you ask I am a lawyer. I was on the cruise last week that lost a day because of the storm and am already unhappy with RCL and how poorly they handled that situation. Pretty happy that they will lose a ton of money from this incident. Couldn't have happened to a nicer company (read sarcasm)

I can see why having extra life jackets in cabins makes passengers feel better just as I can see the logic of having them at the muster stations. Every ship I ace been on has had both. With that said let's deal in reality. It is February in the Atlantic with 20 ft plus swells. If you go in the water life jacket or not chances are you are not going to survive. In cold water you are in trouble fast

Remember they had life jackets on the Titantic.

Okay. At this point, actual news is pretty much not going to be a thing. I will, of course, post anything of substance that is reliably reported by a member of Senior Staff. But, I am at this point tired of reading all the blamers so will probably absent myself from this thread in a general sort of way. I leave you with:

The Captain was always honest as to the situation.

Knowing something about storms, I completely believe a minor storm took a turn for the worst.

The Captain and Crew have done a brilliant job ok keeping life and ship safe given an incredibly hideous situation NOT OF THEIR MAKING. They continue to do all they can to keep us safe and comfortable.

They have rescheduled all the cancelled shows from yesterday.

They opened all the bars for free booze from 1 til 2 this afternoon.

I am, for the most part, also very proud of the passengers on this cruise.

A positive outlook and attitude is refreshing. Enjoy what time you have left on the ship and I hope you will be able to rebook a cruise of a lifetime.