Tragic Event on Island Princess

easyboy

Hi All

Training time should not take place on non working time, I this just shows

how under staffed crew ships are, that the can not organise training in working time,

having seen galley on a private visit, it is hot, noisy and to me very confusing,

there where raised voices but I was with a senior officer so may still have been tempered.

yours Shogun

Hi All

how under staffed crew ships are, that the can not organise training in working time,

having seen galley on a private visit, it is hot, noisy and to me very confusing,

there where raised voices but I was with a senior officer so may still have been tempered.

yours Shogun

While training or meetings, required by the company may not be on "paid" hours, they are considered "work" hours under the IMO's STCW (Standards of Training, Competency, and Watchkeeping) and MLC 2006 (Maritime Labor Convention). Therefore, they are counted towards the maximum allowable work hours any crew can work in a week. There are also minimum rest hours per week, and the number of periods this rest can be broken up into.

Statutory drills (crew fire drills, etc.), if they disturb the crew members rest time, should be offset by compensatory time off.

These are laws that every flag state of every cruise ship have. If the company were "understaffing" the ship to the level that the IMO set levels of rest were not being met, the company could be liable for serious fines and ship detentions. Any port state agency (such as the USCG in a US port) can board any ship and ask to check the work/rest hour logs for any crew member. These records are maintained daily, and the crew member signs and gets a copy monthly, as per law.

Hi chengkp75,

Thank you for information, very interesting, had chatted to entertainment staff,

that had said they had loads of safety training, drills to attend, often at odd hours,

however as accidents do not happen between 9 and 5 good that they practice at all hours.

yours Shogun

Hi chengkp75,

Thank you for information, very interesting, had chatted to entertainment staff,

that had said they had loads of safety training, drills to attend, often at odd hours,

however as accidents do not happen between 9 and 5 good that they practice at all hours.

yours Shogun

Even entertainment staff are covered by STCW and MLC, since they are assigned safety duties. When drills are scheduled at odd hours (and those "odd" hours vary by department), compensatory time off must be given. There must be 77 hours of rest in any 7 days, and that rest must include a 6 hour, uninterrupted, period each day. Most flag state countries include meal hours (even after work) as working hours, so that 6 hour period must be "doing nothing".

Always remember the crew in your prayers. Their life is not easy. They are away from their homes and family's for months at a time. They work really hard and live in conditions most of us could not put up with. And for everyone of us who makes an effort to be polite dealing with them, there are idiots who think they can treat the crew anyway they want.

Always remember the crew in your prayers. Their life is not easy. They are away from their homes and family's for months at a time. They work really hard and live in conditions most of us could not put up with. And for everyone of us who makes an effort to be polite dealing with them, there are idiots who think they can treat the crew anyway they want.

How true! I always try to take 30 seconds to compliment the guy scrubbing brass lines on the stairway, or the lady cleaning the public restroom, or the crew member doing the constant scraping and painting on deck. Many of the crew have very monotonous, thankless duties. I was very saddened to learn of this death; I heard about it earlier when it was posted by a crew member who is a f b friend. Prayers for this person's family.

Hi All

yours Shogun

What are you talkng about?

I have learned that suicide is never an easy "he did it because of ..." There are many things that group together. Although often it is the "last straw" that gets blamed the problem and cause is much deeper and has been going on for a long time. The issue of no sleep or change in medicine or even his routine can all effect his mental health. This is a very hard time for those working with him. His co workers and supervisors will be haunted by this for a long time. Suicide is a problem that effects everyone and I hope the cruise line will bring on board some help. Maybe this tragedy will start a conversation on board the ship that will save others because I promise you he is not the only one dealing with suicidal thoughts working on the ship. There is real help and I am sorry he didn't get it in time but now maybe others will. I am praying for his family at home and on the ship.

It is indeed very sad but I don't think anyone can begin to determine why he did this as we don't know any fact except that he hung himself. It could have been his home life had changed, a homesick issue or he just couldn't take the pressure of the job. It is just heart breaking though and I too hope the ship brings in counselors.

We have talked to many crew members and all but one loved their jobs and most of them had been on the ships for a few years or more. A few we've been blessed to meet were on the ships for 30+ years! We have never met one who was on their first contract and not continuing once it was up.

When the cruise lines switched to the automatic tipping we questioned our cabin folks and our dining folks and they all said they were getting tips from more people but were not getting the extra cash people used to hand them on the last night. That was 5 plus years ago that we asked so I am not sure if it holds true today.

So at least in our experience the crew have liked what they do and taken advantage of the ability to advance in their jobs or into other jobs on the ship.

I have learned that suicide is never an easy "he did it because of ..." There are many things that group together. Although often it is the "last straw" that gets blamed the problem and cause is much deeper and has been going on for a long time.

Thank you for saying this. The most upsetting thing I've ever read on Cruise Critic was when a crew member committed suicide a few years ago and some on this board suggested it was because a passenger had treated him badly. What a slap in the face to anyone who has lost a loved one to suicide. It is a far more complex issue than that.