Any "not to be missed" food items on HAL?

Details

Although some people complain about the Canaletto, the short rib gnocchi we had there was fantastic.

YES,YES, YES!!!!! I still want more and we've been home for a week!

On a healthier note, the pineapple salsa at the taco bar was addictive, too.

The cheese fries at Dive-In were good, but they were also very nice plain.

:D

Let's start with breakfast. Fresh squeezed OJ is a treat. Try the muesli. It's so delicious. Also try the eggs benedict. I think there are six different kinds. Waffles on one side of the Lido. Eggs benedict on the other. Have them make your favorite omlet. Oh, the pastries. Everyone has a favorite. We like the sticky buns.

Have you cruised with the Lido Marketplace? I noticed in December that the six different kinds of eggs benedict had been reduced to two.

We find the best cinnamon rolls are those in the Explorations Cafe. Get there early as they disappear quickly.

I would agree with pretty much all the previous posts. I love lamb and was not disappointed in the lamb offerings in the MDR or the Lido (actually thought the Lido lamb was better). The Dive-In hot dogs (Nathan's I believe) were quite tasty to me. The Tamarind is outstanding. Let me put in a plug for the breakfast station that has the poached eggs made to order. This Lido station is Asian for lunch and used by the Canaletto at dinner time. You can create your own special Eggs Benedict here and, more importantly to me, you can create a "Full English" breakfast (including the fried bread) at this station. I am getting hungry just thinking about it!

As you peruse the breakfast set up in the Lido, or the sit down breakfast menu in the MDR or the Pinnacle Grill, you owe it to yourself to have the full Dutch Breakfast at least once.

If you are adventurous, check out the selection of breakfast sausages. They're usually on the cold board part of the buffet. If you are dining in the Lido, always take a lap at breakfast. There's usually a country specific breakfast at each station

Most of my favourites I can no longer eat as I have just been diagnosed with a extensive list of food intolerance due to my autoimmune disease but if I could I'd choose ...

the Lido bread pudding (no sauce just on its own with all its sticky delightfulness).

the little goats cheese cheesecakes in the MDR (tiny morsels of pure joy).

all the MDR fruit dishes are lush.

and the Gnocchi with balsamic onions (order a double portion, I always did and I'm not a big eater).

The Lido salad bar is also a favourite and you can wash all that down with a Wang Wang or two (no more than two if you want to be able to move the next day) :D .

I don't eat meat or fish so I can't comment on those, but my Hubby loves the fish dishes and any of the non-meat soups.

I can no longer eat wheat, dairy or sugar ...what fun I shall have watching everyone else eating :(

I'm really simple with my tastes. My days on the ship always start with bran muffins from the Lido and guava juice. The bran muffins are the best I have had anywhere.

I always make sure to get lunch in the Lido on schnitzel day -- it's one of my favorites and the schnitzels on the ship are particularly good. And I love that I can get schnitzel in one line and then get pasta with sauce to go with it. I really love the mix-and-match quality of lunch in the Lido.

The chocolate croissants are amazing!!!! We start every day with them (do a write-in on room service or pick them up at Exploration Cafe).

Also love the chocolate volcano cake with Orange whipped cream in the PG. Got the recipe many years ago and still making it as a dinner party treat from time to time.

Whenever the MDR has Burrata as an appie I double it as a main.

And, DH has to have the bread pudding at least once per cruise.

Only cruised HAL once but here are our highlights

The filet at the pinnacle is excellent. I ordered a ribeye and DW had the 10oz filet and I was quite jealous of her plate after she offered me a couple bites.

We had jerk chicken and (not your average) pot roast in the MDR which were both very well prepared in our experience.

DW raved about the watermelon pie in the MDR as well.

But hey, everyone has different preferences and you'll have lots to choose from.

Enjoy your cruise and the cuisine too of course.

We like the menu for Le Cirque. They just do it one night per cruise. I think it's been pretty much the same for a while, but the food is really fantastic IMHO. Actually, we'll be on this cruise with you, and have our reservations for Le Cirque already set.

We like the menu for Le Cirque. They just do it one night per cruise. I think it's been pretty much the same for a while, but the food is really fantastic IMHO. Actually, we'll be on this cruise with you, and have our reservations for Le Cirque already set.

... here's another vote for the entire Le Cirque menu, EXCEPT for the "BUTTERNUT SQUASH WITH HUCKLEBERRIES with sage Chantilly" soup which sadly was removed from the original LC menu a few years ago ... we also really like the Canaletto "Zuppa Di Pesce" and the Dive-In Mushroom Burger ...

... my favorite is the pate en croute at dinner or often at the lunch buffet. Also the frizzeled onions from the divein, not much for their burgers, always too well done for my taste.

... since you like the pate en croute, you would probably also enjoy the Le Cirque amuse-bouche ... and BTW if you don't like well-done burgers, you can have yours cooked to order (yes, including medium rare) at Dive-In ...

at dinner or often at the lunch buffet. Also the frizzeled onions from the divein, not much for their burgers, always too well done for my taste.

You can order your burger to a different temperature if you like. We always do.

Looking forward to trying those in April. Only served during transit of the P. canal, yes?

I believe so, yes, however... Here's the recipe if you want to try it:

Copying it verbatim, since for whatever reason I cannot post an image of my scanned Culinary Arts Centre recipe card.

Ingredients:

For the dough

1/4 cup warm water

1/4 cup milk

2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted

1 egg, beaten

1/4 cup sugar

3/4 tsp salt

Extra pinch of sugar

1 package active dry yeast

2 to 3 1/4 cups flour

For the filling

Instant Custard cream

Rum flavour (If desired)

Peach, cut into pieces (From can)

For the streusel

10 oz flour

10 oz sugar

5 oz butter

Pinch of salt

Drops of Vanilla extract

Pinch of Cinnamon powder

Preparation

In a bowl, combine water, yeast, and pinch of sugar. Stir until dissolved. Set aside.

In a large bowl, add milk, melted butter, egg, sugar and salt. Mix well. Then add the yeast mixture and blend together.

Gradually add the flour and knead until smooth. Place in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise for 45 mins to an hour in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size.

Then roll out on a floured board until it is 1/2 inch thick.

Take a pizza cutter and cut into desired square size. With a spoon or piping bag, place a dollop of custard/rum cream and on top of that place a piece of peach. Fold each corner into middle of the square and hold it together.

To make streussel, mix all ingredients in a bowl, and mix well with hand until crumble consistency appears.

Place on a cookie sheet/baking tray upside down. Let rise again until rolls have doubled in size and brush with egg wash. Top each bun with streussel and bake in a preheated oven 350F until golden brown (about 12-15 mins).

Edited by Aegis1984

Even though it isn't made on the ship, get a specialty coffee at the Explorations Cafe with a Stoopwafel. Take the stroopwafel out of the package and place it on the rim of the coffee cup so it gets warmed up by the steaming coffee. Yum. a045f5c7e71aaba73693e7a94716ac14.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app