Really disgusted with Azamara

midwestchick

I really don't understand how a cruise can be chartered when it has already been booked and deposits paid by other members of the public, who subsequently then are cancelled. Surely there is a contractual / legally binding agreement once money had changed hands? I would be very upset if this happened as booking a cruise takes time to plan and find a suitable itinerary with a cruise company that is the right 'fit' and also with a timescale schedule that fits into work or other home life plans. I know I wouldn't book again with that cruise company if they value their guest so little. Wouldn't it be better to plan the charters BEFORE putting out itineraries to the public?

I have seen many cruise companies do this, so you will soon run out of ships to cruise on. It's part of the cruise business: you represent one cabin and will probably accept the offer to switch to a different cruise; a charter means sale of 100% of the cabins. The worst situation is a partial charter of 1/3 or more of the cabins -- you pay full fare but don't get to use large parts of the ship when they are reserved for charter activities -- so I would rather Azamara cancel me out than subject me to that :)

I have seen many cruise companies do this, so you will soon run out of ships to cruise on. It's part of the cruise business: you represent one cabin and will probably accept the offer to switch to a different cruise; a charter means sale of 100% of the cabins. The worst situation is a partial charter of 1/3 or more of the cabins -- you pay full fare but don't get to use large parts of the ship when they are reserved for charter activities -- so I would rather Azamara cancel me out than subject me to that :)

This situation raised by Jazzbeau has me concerned about a cruise next year. We had booked the 2/19 Australia & New Zealand shortly after it was offered. Subsequently, it has been advertised as one of the PerryGolf cruises (golf at an additional fee). My concern now is that parts of the ship may be at times for use only by those participating with PerryGolf.

Bonnie . . . do you know what the situation may be?

This situation raised by Jazzbeau has me concerned about a cruise next year. We had booked the 2/19 Australia & New Zealand shortly after it was offered. Subsequently, it has been advertised as one of the PerryGolf cruises (golf at an additional fee). My concern now is that parts of the ship may be at times for use only by those participating with PerryGolf.

No idea. I'll see if I can find out something.

I can see this situation from the 'other side of the coin.'

Quest has been chartered by an Australian company for 28 days, Montreal to Miami at the end of September 2016.

She needed to be taken 'across the pond.'

I am booked on the cruise that was created to get her to Montreal from Southampton. It is I believe, a unique itinerary and has been fully booked since Autumn 2014, except if someone cancels.

The advantage for us is that:

1) she sails from Southampton

2) I will be able to visit Juno beach, where my father landed on D-Day

3) Visit St Peter Port, Guernsey; St John's, Newfoundland; Quebec & Montreal, all of which have been on my bucket list for a long time.

Edited by upwarduk

I was on a Perry Golf cruise.i never notice them unless they were leaving with golf clubs. I am sure they had a party pre dinner.. I was in the track ir in a bar.. Really no big deal.

I've had friends do multiple "Golf Cruises" They are very expensive and appeal to avid golfers. There have never been more than a dozen on any that they have participated. As Robin says " no big deal" or interruption to the ship's routine.

P.S, Just got back home to San Diego from Nice via Munich and San Francisco connections. A 25 day B2B that was superb in every way, Magnus did a great job as Captain and Tony ( and Christina ! ) were wonderful. Iwan did an outstanding job in many special dinners and rice tables. Sorry,but I can't agree that the food quality has slipped. My waist can attest to that! Made many new friends and got reunited with many other dear Azamara friends.Finally won in team trivia. Congrats to all the "Mixed Nuts". Now it's off to bed after 28 hours of traveling.

There was a question earlier as to why a passenger should expect compensation if the cruise line cancels a cruise over 330 days out, whilst I don't expect any compensation as Azamara's t&c's don't include any what happens if the situation is reversed?

If I cancel a booking because I have a better deal offered by another cruise line, here in the UK Azamara retain my £500 deposit as "compensation" for me blocking the booked cabin from sale and to cover the cost of reselling it. So it's not really unreasonable for a passenger to expect something to cover the cost of finding a replacement holiday.

I am hopeful that Azamara will be offering something that will be acceptable as they always have done in the past so not too worried at the moment, but just wanted to highlight the above point.

Just because they all do this doesn't mean it is either right or acceptable. Unless regular cruisers object strongly and vote with their feet then cruise companies will continue with the 'it's part of the cruise business line'.

A contract is a contract as defined below

A contract is a legally binding or valid agreement between two parties. The law will consider a contract to be valid if the agreement contains all of the following elements:

offer and acceptance;

an intention between the parties to create binding relations;

consideration to be paid for the promise made;

legal capacity of the parties to act;

genuine consent of the parties; and

legality of the agreement.

If they choose to break the contract then my business would go elsewhere.

If they try and charge you the $50 pp fee for canceling, I hope you stand up to them. Under the circumstances, they should not charge you a penalty.[/quote

If this is true, they should be giving $500-$1000 coupons for future cruises!

What's Fair is Fair! Godd Luck All!

=IsanTom;49778284]
If they try and charge you the $50 pp fee for canceling, I hope you stand up to them. Under the circumstances, they should not charge you a penalty.

If this is true, they should be giving $500-$1000 coupons for future cruises!

What's Fair is Fair! Godd Luck All!

We had the final Century cruise cancelled due to redeployment.

One of the options was to cancel, WITHOUT LOOSING DEPOSIT, which of course is unusual for UK passengers.

We actually choose to transfer to another Celebrity Cruise with £200 OBC. If we had chosen a prior cruise on the Century, we could have booked at the rate we had booked our cruise, with increased OBC.

We were on a Perry Golf cruise around the British Isles, in connection with the British Open. We simply treated it as any other cruise because we had never been to the ports. We only noticed the golfers twice, once on the Azamazing Evening, when they had procured a block of the only good seats at the event (reviews by them raved about the dancing, but no one else in the theatre could see anything and the dancers themselves were very upset); and one evening when they "took over" the piano bar, chased the entertainer out, and watched the final round of the Open on the TVs in there. The first was upsetting, but the Azamazing Evenings have played to mixed reviews, and this was just one of the less-than-stellar ones. We dealt with the second by just finding another bar.

Generally I'm certain, as you state, that the nature of partial charters may well have a negative impact for other cruisers.

But not always. On our October cruise there was a group of 200 and their negative impact was minimal. Indeed, there was a positive aspect in that, as they were busy on their various activities, parts of the ship were actually less crowded than normal. The only venue they utilized as a group was the theater during the day.

They were also friendly as individuals and, being of a very different background, rather interesting in social settings.

If we were to encounter a partial charter again, we would not assume it was going to be a problem.

I see that overnight various guests from previous golf cruises have assured you to not worry, and from what I've learned I'd second their opinion.

I've inquired both in the office and with Heike about this and am assured the Perry Golf participants do not take anything away from the overall guest experience.

For one they tend to be a small number of participants, and for another reason, they are off the ship so long each day golfing.

I understand there is the occasional pre-dinner cocktail party or pre-golf breakfast but given the size of the group these gatherings will be small and unnoticed. They will not need the large public spaces.

My own experience is that golfers tend to be outgoing and they like to socialize. They don't keep to themselves.

In sum the consensus is that your worry is for naught.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you Bonnie, obviously not such good news for those of us on the 26th September sailing, does bring into question Azamara's priorities. How much damage could this do to Azamara regarding future bookings from previously loyal customers? All for the sake of a 7 night charter.

It also does damage to Azamara regarding bookings from new customers. I started researching Azamara a few weeks ago. After receiving their fantastic brochure, DW and I decided to book a B2B Transatlantic/Med for 2018. Having read this thread we will not be booking a cruise with Azamara.

Edited by Rob the Cruiser
typo

We were on a Perry Golf cruise around the British Isles, in connection with the British Open. We simply treated it as any other cruise because we had never been to the ports. We only noticed the golfers twice, once on the Azamazing Evening, when they had procured a block of the only good seats at the event (reviews by them raved about the dancing, but no one else in the theatre could see anything and the dancers themselves were very upset); and one evening when they "took over" the piano bar, chased the entertainer out, and watched the final round of the Open on the TVs in there. The first was upsetting, but the Azamazing Evenings have played to mixed reviews, and this was just one of the less-than-stellar ones. We dealt with the second by just finding another bar.

Don't know which Perry Golf cruise you were on but we were on last July's British Open cruise with 80 or so Perry golfers. In our opinion, they added to the cruise. They were younger, fit, outgoing, friendly, and told interesting stories about their golf experiences at the various classic British and Irish courses.

As I recall, there may have been one group party that reserved a lounge but over the course of fifteen days it was no big deal. The Azamazing Evening at the Liverpool Cathedral was fantastic, and there were no reserved seating areas for the golf group at either that or the White Night.

I'm not sure which cruise or cruises we are discussing here but Quest has been chartered for at least a year and a half now by an Aussie cruise agency to do a 32-day Montreal to New Orleans cruise from September 24 to October 26, 2016.

The same agency has also chartered Quest for a 34-day Med cruise starting the day after tomorrow. Neither of these charters is new news.

We are on the Quest, sailing dates 16May - 25May 2016, my TA has checked directly with Azamara and can confirm that this cruise has not been chartered and is still accepting bookings.

It also does damage to Azamara regarding bookings from new customers. I started researching Azamara a few weeks ago. After receiving their fantastic brochure, DW and I decided to book a B2B Transatlantic/Med for 2018. Having read this thread we will not be booking a cruise with Azamara.

Let me know which cruise line you end up booking and I'll send you a list of cruises it cancelled for charters :) A land trip might be the only option for you.

Let me know which cruise line you end up booking and I'll send you a list of cruises it cancelled for charters :) A land trip might be the only option for you.

Okay, you got me on that one. :cool: Celebrity would never, never, ever, ever cancel my cruise. They love me...not.

Okay, you got me on that one. :cool: Celebrity would never, never, ever, ever cancel my cruise. They love me...not.

So far we have had 2 cruises cancelled:

RCCL - an 18 night winter Mediterranean cruise (2012 for my 70 th birthday), which worked out to a wonderful £45 per night. This was split into 2 cruises one over New Year, which cost £150 per night.

Celebrity cancelled Century's last cruise, due to redeployment.

We are on the Quest, sailing dates 16May - 25May 2016, my TA has checked directly with Azamara and can confirm that this cruise has not been chartered and is still accepting bookings.

Right. I mistakenly wrote Quest when I should have written Journey. I knew that as I was considering that April-May charter but chose not to take it.

Azamara charter cancels Sept 26 2017 and modifies Oct 4 2017 Quest itinerary. You have 2 week to rebook or your are automatically cancelled without so much as even a future onboard credit. We also had both cruises as b2b. Time to dump Larry and his new image.

Azamara charter cancels Sept 26 2017 and modifies Oct 4 2017 Quest itinerary. You have 2 week to rebook or your are automatically cancelled without so much as even a future onboard credit. We also had both cruises as b2b. Time to dump Larry and his new image.

:eek: :eek: Where did you hear that? I haven't heard anything from my TA yet.

This is for Azamara QUEST guests who have booked directly with us on either the 9/26/2017 or 10/4/2017 voyage...please call our re-accommodation desk at: 1-877-222-2526 ext.18835.

Our Customer Service personnel are actively trying to call those of you who have booked directly. I simply am posting this phone number in case you have not been called.

For those guests that have booked with a travel professional, please contact your travel agent for more information.