Just a vent - get sick every time we cruise

tbmrt

I eat right, work out a few times a week, take vitamins and supplements and am very healthy.

However, whenever we cruise, I get a sore throat which progresses into a cough a few days later. Takes a long time to get rid of when I get home.

Wash hands frequently onboard.

I've read this cruise cough is pretty common.

Any hints to help me avoid this would be greatly appreciated.

I have gotten colds on some cruises. I have always figured the combination of air travel and throwing a few thousand strangers together is at least part of the cause. The only real defense is lots of hand washing and don't touch your eyes, nose or mouth.

Something I occasionally get on ships, aeroplanes, coaches.

I've always associated it with the dry air from air-conditioning, & prevented by hanging damp towels around the cabin (with steward's permission).

OK, you're from Florida - and I believe one or two buildings there have air-con ;)

But much of Florida is very humid, which perhaps counters the dryness of aircon.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Until the last 3 years, I never got sick on a cruise.

Now I do.

About day 10 I wake up with a sore throat which then becomes a cough. And like you, it lasts for weeks.

Doctor sends me on our cruises with prescriptions for antibiotics and cough medicine. And when we get home I still end up in his office still getting medicine.

He can't figure out why after all these years I am constantly getting sick. One thing I have noticed -- more and more people are coughing on our cruises.

You could try a saline nasal flush while you're on vacation - it might help keep microbes from attaching. I often use oil of oregano as a natural anti-microbial when I'm traveling because of the large number of strangers and the confined spaces.

I live in what my father called the "sinus belt". I also teach in a K-12 school - so there is a lot of sinus pressure and germs all around me. Someone showed me this video and "knock on wood" I have gone through this whole wintry season with no sore throats. I hope it helps someone:

Pat

Hand washing cannot be overemphasized, which is the practice used in hospitals (where I have previously worked) and physician offices. But "cabin cough" is likely spread via the air primarily through sneezing and coughing simply spreading nasty viruses. So DW and I adopted a few changes, over forty years or extensive cruising, which usually work well (just off a 55 day cruise with no cough). One major change for us has been to avoid elevators...to the best of our ability. On our recent long Prinsendam cruise we never entered an elevator the entire 8 week cruise (this was made easier due to the small size of the ship). Even on mega ships we only use elevators when we are moving lots of decks up (we will walk down even if it is 10 decks). The problem with elevators is that they enclosed chambers where folks are packed with little air flow. It is the perfect environment to spread any respiratory virus (or bacteria).

Our other practice is to simply do our best to avoid being near folks who are constantly coughing or sneezing. This is not always possible or reasonable, but many times it is a simple matter to choose a seat that is away from somebody who obviously has "cabin cough."

And finally, we now aggressively deal with a runny nose. Many times a bad cough starts from the resulting post nasal drip which, day and night, finds its way into your upper respiratory tract and helps plant nasty bugs in that area. The result can often be a bad URI (Upper Respiratory Infection). So we take a good supply of Sudafed (no illegal in Mexico) which does a great job stopping a runny nose without making you sleepy. There are plenty of other OTC products that achieve the same results. Stopping the sniffles does often seem to help prevent that "cabin cough" that too often follows a simple cold.

We also know folks who swear by just taking vitamins (especially Vitamin C) but this practice is certainly open to some controversy.

Hank

I eat right, work out a few times a week, take vitamins and supplements and am very healthy.

However, whenever we cruise, I get a sore throat which progresses into a cough a few days later. Takes a long time to get rid of when I get home.

You might consider Pure Oil of Oregano. Just a couple drops in a glass of water or juice -- stir really well. Starting taking it a day or two ahead of the cruise and continue each day of the cruise. My DH just sips on it throughout the day and it keeps coughs, sneezes, etc. away. We are also full advocates of hand washing and I also keep a dispenser of anti-bacterial gel hung on my purse or bag so we can wipe our hands when on-shore.

Hope this helps.

KathyT

I am happy that I don't have a problem. No difference between home and cruising for me. A long time ago I was told to vigorously hand wash, which I think most of us do, but also to stay hydrated and drink much more water than I normally would do. I think hydration is very important.

Until the last 3 years, I never got sick on a cruise.

Now I do.

About day 10 I wake up with a sore throat which then becomes a cough. And like you, it lasts for weeks.

Doctor sends me on our cruises with prescriptions for antibiotics and cough medicine. And when we get home I still end up in his office still getting medicine.

He can't figure out why after all these yea nrs I am constantly getting sick. One thing I have noticed -- more and more people are coughing on our cruises.

Very surprised that your doctor would provide antibiotics without a soecific reason or diagnosis. We are constantly advised not to take antibiotics without specific diagnosis/labs etc. most of the bugs we all pick up are becoming resistant to antibiotics because of unnecessary use.

One very, very easy thing that I do is to simply hold my breath when someone around me is coughing or sneezing. Then just walk away out of range before breathing again. Haven't had a cold or sore throat in more than 10 years.

Expecting to get sick will cause you to get sick.

We take a diffuser and use essential oils when we travel.

Not sure why you are surprised when you travel with hundreds of people - on a plane or cruise ship or bus -- that there might be a germ issue.

Airborne works great - always when I fly

Best of luck in the future

My son always would get sick when he slept on the upper bunks in the cabin. We finally started getting cabins where he could sleep on the sofa bed and knock on wood has not gotten sick. The doc on the ship and at home said that when you are up in the bunk the air blows directly on you and it was affecting him.

We live in CO and no humidity and no AC so upper bunk not good for him.

Our family took Airborne starting a few days before vacation, we also always sleep with the balcony door open if possible instead of having AC run, I used saline twice a day to flush out of my sinuses as I have horrible allergies. ALSO WASHING YOUR HANDS!!! And we all stayed healthy!!

We follow these same things whenever we vacation. And I get that sometimes thinking that you will get sick can add stress and make you sick, but with being around 1000's (or 10000k+ at Disney), some little things can help a lot in preventing the dreaded vacation cold.

Very surprised that your doctor would provide antibiotics without a soecific reason or diagnosis. We are constantly advised not to take antibiotics without specific diagnosis/labs etc. most of the bugs we all pick up are becoming resistant to antibiotics because of unnecessary use.

Sadly, there are still some doctors willing (unwisely) to do that.

Personally speaking, I always get a "I'm getting a cold" feeling when I travel, cruise or otherwise. It goes away a couple of days after I get home. I always thought it was because I was on the go so much more and I don't get the rest I should. At home my schedule is pretty set, on a trip not so much so I'm a little out of whack. Funny, I don't notice I'm tired until I get home and have to go back to work, LOL. And the air-conditioning on planes and ships don't help.

I make sure I get orange juice every day and drink lots of water. It seems to help some. I spent last week in Washington DC, got home Saturday night. Here it is Tuesday and my throat still feels a little iffy, but thankfully no cold.

Edited by Blondilu

I call it the Mold cough. For years now if I stay in any hotel no matter how many stars it has, I end up with a cough. The rooms are small and all the showers with no where for the water vapor to go turns to mold and im allergic to most molds. Many molds can not be seen easily so it could be that you too are allergic and just do not know it

Something I occasionally get on ships, aeroplanes, coaches.

I've always associated it with the dry air from air-conditioning, & prevented by hanging damp towels around the cabin (with steward's permission).

OK, you're from Florida - and I believe one or two buildings there have air-con ;)

But much of Florida is very humid, which perhaps counters the dryness of aircon.

JB :)

While not clinically proven, it has been suggested that excessively dry air contributes to the development of many respiratory problems. When your air passages are too dry they lack the mucous coating which serves to protect against bacterial and virus infections. Wet towels - or other humidifying effects can help. I know that when I fly, occasionally holding a wet handkerchief or napkin to breathe through seems to prevent the sort of coughs I used to develop on flights.

Depends on the person. Some don't take meds unless they're a last resort. I travel with antibiotics. Haven't used them yet. As a matter of fact, it needs to be renewed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

In spite of what you do for your health a lot of times the way to prevent or avoid these issues depends entirely on how many people you are around daily. You will find that teachers and others who are exposed to lots of germs tend not to get these bothersome illnesses because they are exposed to so many different germs on a daily basis, other people like this would be those who work in retail and in the hospitality industry.

Sometimes it really stinks to work in an office.

Depends on the person. Some don't take meds unless they're a last resort. I travel with antibiotics. Haven't used them yet. As a matter of fact, it needs to be renewed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sorry to say this but I hope you physician has wised up and won't give you antibiotics unless you are actually sick. The unregulated and improper use of antibiotics is why we are developing super bugs.

One very, very easy thing that I do is to simply hold my breath when someone around me is coughing or sneezing. Then just walk away out of range before breathing again. Haven't had a cold or sore throat in more than 10 years.

I thought I was the only one who does this! We have never gotten sick during or after our cruises on different lines, sizes and world location!

We do pack in Airborne tabs 3 days before we depart and I take antimicrobial wipes more so than gel.

I better knock on wood:rolleyes: