Next HAL Ship to be Named ms Nieuw Statendam

If they bring back the promenade deck and library, they can make it the new flagship

As I commented in the other place you posted exactly this:

OBVIOUSLY the promenade cannot be modified on the existing ship and it would be unrealistic to assume a sister ship would have a dramatic redesign...

As for the library, many more books have already been added. This posted courtesy of our ABC affiliate weather man Seth Wayne who is covering the naming.

He captioned it as follows:

A mini @ElliottBayBooks at sea! #books #Koningsdam @HALcruises #KODMdedication

Ci1IiEGVAAEqMmM.jpg

You forgot "Rare" (in Dutch) Statendam, Captain ;) It's not that bad ("nieuw" is "new" in Dutch)however, I would have preferred just plain Statendam VI

I agree, but then, we are both long time HAL enthusiasts and would think that way!

I'll be happy with what HAL chose. Better than something like the Eurodam...

Hi,

I would have named the ship Statendam (without the "Nieuw").

Chuck

Absolutely agree with you. It is not even correct Dutch, NieuwE Statendam would be right spelling wise, but that would mean New Statendam.

Nieuw Amsterdam of course is different ( and correct) , it being the full and complete name of town in the province of Drenthe and of course the former name of NYC.

There is a very tiny hamlet in the Netherlands called Statendam, but I doubt Mr. Ashford had that place in mind.

I was at the pier in Rotterdam this morning and heard him announcing the name, at first I thought he made a mistake...

One words usually best for ships. Less to speak, less to write and les to understand.

If we use 'Nieuw' for every new ship they might...

Nieuw Maasdam

Nieuw Ryndam

Nieuw Veendam

Nieuw Volendam

Nieuw Zaandam

Nieuw Rotterdam

Nieuw Amsterdam

Nieuw Prinsendam

Nieuw Zuiderdam

Nieuw Osterdam

Nieuw Noordam

Nieuw Westrdam

Nieuw Eurodam

and then.....

NIEUW NIEUW AMSTERDAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem... when the ship is a bit older and is called 'new'... it really isn't any more and the first time your AC or toilet stops you will not be so happy to hear it!

Some names with the prefix are just a bit of a mouthful to speak.

At the moment... just thankful that we will have a new STATENDAM.

Stephen

Hi,

A few years ago, I purchased one of the blue glass panels from the mural that was above the indoor pool. I had the glass panel framed and proudly have it displayed in my condo. Thus, I am preserving a small piece of the Statendam IV.

Chuck

Oh wow. I would love to see a photo of it...

I sailed on Statendam IV after Paquet bought her and renamed her Rhapsody. It was still very much a Holland America ship. We had Indonesian batik curtains in our cabin and I visited the beautiful and intact indoor swimming pool with its blue, green and gold mosaic tile.

Many of those pool tiles now reside in my den filling the wall...

Edited by avalon1025

As I commented in the other place you posted exactly this:

OBVIOUSLY the promenade cannot be modified on the existing ship and it would be unrealistic to assume a sister ship would have a dramatic redesign...

As for the library, many more books have already been added. This posted courtesy of our ABC affiliate weather man Seth Wayne who is covering the naming.

He captioned it as follows:

A mini @ElliottBayBooks at sea! #books #Koningsdam @HALcruises #KODMdedication

Ci1IiEGVAAEqMmM.jpg

Sorry they made some very dramatic changes to the Rotterdam and Veendam compared to their sisters, so I don't see why they can't do it to the Nieuw Statendam, a library should be easy and the promenade would bring a major enhancement to this ship with a fabulous history in its name..

You forgot "Rare" (in Dutch) Statendam, Captain ;) It's not that bad ("nieuw" is "new" in Dutch)however, I would have preferred just plain Statendam VI

The ship is wider, they can write a longer name on the stern; less "white" space! :D

Edited by Boytjie

I am wondering what the theme for the interior decor will be?

It would be lovely to incorporate the mermaids and dolphins from the ms Statendam's atrium fountain.

Barbara

Yes! I agree, an "under the sea" type of decor, maybe.

Having sailed on Statendam IV and Statendam V, I was hoping for a Statendam VI.

But, the M. S. Nieuw Amsterdam is nothing like the S. S. Nieuw Amsterdam other than having two funnels, the HAL Flag, and the wonderful crew.

Thus, maybe it is fitting that the newbuild be called M. S. Nieuw Statendam for she will most certainly be unlike her two immediate namesakes in many ways.

I can live with her new name and hope to sail on my 3rd Statendam!

Wouldn't an "under the sea" design be bad form for a cruise ship? Just think about that for a moment

Underwater scenes: coral formations and reefs, sponges, sea fans, marine creatures of all types, volcanic vents spouting "imaginery" steam, fantasy mermaids with King Neptune and his Queen presiding over all.

No need for unpleasant artisitic representations. But, what do I know? Certainly not an interior decorator!

Wouldn't an "under the sea" design be bad form for a cruise ship? Just think about that for a moment

Why not?

The MDR in KONINGSDAM already looks the inside of a whale. Looks like the ribcage of a whale.

The MDR of the old NCL DREAMWARD had an underwater 'theme'... with a very large mural of the backdrop of an underwater scene. At the time it looked not so bad at all. During dinner it was like being at the bottom of the sea.

Of course the old ROTTERDAM had an 'under the sea' theme right throughout the ship in practically room and the stairwells as well.... even Oceaan Bar represented a large whale.

It could be done well depends how well the designer handles it.

662869711_wp5a358ce3_0f.jpgdreamward.jpg.cf051a88c977a6014eec043d8655cfca.jpg

1562948112_wpf732369a_0f.jpgdreamward.jpg.179385c77ae164254526c6a725793569.jpg

Of course the old ROTTERDAM had an 'under the sea' theme right throughout the ship in practically room and the stairwells as well.... even Oceaan Bar represented a large whale.

Let's not forget those gorgeous glass panels that separated the two sides of the forward staircase. They depicted the heavens at the top of the ship, and worked their way down through the atmosphere, all the way to the depths of the sea at the lower decks.

That was a design the likes of which we will never see again. :(