Passport expiration

geoherb

I checked this page on HAL's website and read "Holland America Line highly recommends that all guests carry a passport that is valid for at least six months beyond the completion date of your travel." The cruise I am thinking of taking leaves in two months. My passport expires in November. And since the cruise is roundtrip from Seattle to Alaska, according to HAL, I don't really even need the passport. Does the "high recommends" phrase mean that HAL enforces this stipulation, or is it as it says just recommended?

I checked this page on HAL's website and read "Holland America Line highly recommends that all guests carry a passport that is valid for at least six months beyond the completion date of your travel." The cruise I am thinking of taking leaves in two months. My passport expires in November. And since the cruise is roundtrip from Seattle to Alaska, according to HAL, I don't really even need the passport. Does the "high recommends" phrase mean that HAL enforces this stipulation, or is it as it says just recommended?

If you don't need a passport you have no worries and just don't take it.

What ship are you on? I just posted the Westerdam's Bon Voyage today R/T Seattle and it stops in Victoria, B.C. If you stop in Canada, you need a passport.

And,if you need a passport the 6 months rule is traditionally upheld.

Our passports expire 5 and 1/2 months after the end of our cruise next year and we will be renewing them to meet criteria. It's not just HAL, it's the countries you are visiting.

I think that it's recommended for travel to foreign countries. In the event that someone got sick or hurt and was hung up out of the US for an extended time they'd need a valid passport to return.

We sent our passports off for renewal a week ago. The Post Office guy said it's running at about a month return at this time. Not to say I don't trust government agencies to be prompt ... I'd plan on 2 months return and be happy if it's sooner :D

Leaving 2 months ahead with the fact you have to send in the old passport to renew I'd be nervous about sending it off now. If you were traveling out of the country I'd pay the extra to have the renewal expedited. You can tell them when you're traveling, pay the extra and they'd get it done for you.

If you have no stops outside the USA I wouldn't think it's any big deal to use what you have.

PS ... we sailed out of the country (Bahamas) May 21-26 on Carnival from Charleston SC with passports that were due to expire in June with no problem with immigration or customs.

A passport costs about $1 /month. Why take a chance for a couple of bucks difference - renew now.

If you have no stops outside the USA ...
ALL round-trips from a US port on a foreign-flagged ship must stop in some foreign country. For Seattle-AK-Seattle it will be Canada.

Edited by jtl513

The recommendation is because if you stop in Skagway . You'll need a passport for some tours that cross the Canadian border . One of your stops is Victoria BC . If you have to go home you'll need a passport to reenter the US.

Edited by Kamloops50

Thanks. I haven't booked the cruise yet, so it's not a sure thing that we're going. According to a USA Today article, Canada is not one of the countries in the Americas that require that passports be valid for six months after expected date of return. The Canadian government website I found did not mention it being required either.

What ship are you on? I just posted the Westerdam's Bon Voyage today R/T Seattle and it stops in Victoria, B.C. If you stop in Canada, you need a passport.

No you don't!! Round trip cruises from Seattle are considered "closed loop" cruises and you do NOT need a passport for the cruise, nor do you need it to get off in Victoria. The only time you might need a passport is if you take an excursion from Skagway that goes into Canada. Land crossings in/out of Canada require a passport. (Though some will tell you that Canada will let you in without it, and that you only need the passport to return to the US.)

I have first hand experience with this. Two years ago, we took my son's best friend on an Alaskan cruise with us, round trip from Seattle. He did not have a passport. He used his birth certificate and state-issued photo ID. We had no issues with boarding the cruise, going into port in Victoria, or passing through customs upon returning to Seattle.

Thanks. I haven't booked the cruise yet, so it's not a sure thing that we're going. According to a USA Today article, Canada is not one of the countries in the Americas that require that passports be valid for six months after expected date of return. The Canadian government website I found did not mention it being required either.

Geoherb. If you DO book the cruise your current passport will be fine. An Alaska cruise does not require a passport, much less six months left on it. The misinformation from some of the replies above is astounding. As long as your passport is valid on the day you return to the US it will be fine for this itinerary.

The six month suggestion is for people who either don't want to bother with finding out the actual regulations that apply to them, or who are unable to understand them. It's a worst case generalization, which suits some people just fine....but should never be proffered as 'advice'.

Edited by cherylandtk

If something should happen (there's a reason they're called "accidents") and you have to fly home from Canada then you will need a passport with you. Most countries require that the passport be good for at least 6 months after date of entry.

You need to renew it anyway - why wait??

I just had my passport renewed this month. When I sent it in for renewal, the State Department website was saying 6 weeks. My new passport was in my mailbox 3 weeks after I mailed the application and old passport to them. I did not request expedited service.

My advice is to just go ahead and send it for renewal. If you're concerned, pay the extra for expedited service. Why stress over it?

If something should happen (there's a reason they're called "accidents") and you have to fly home from Canada then you will need a passport with you. Most countries require that the passport be good for at least 6 months after date of entry.

Their current, unexpired passport will be fine in this situation.

However, keep in mind that for the vast majority of this cruise, they will be in the US. The only time they are in Canada is the very last night of the cruise. Unless it is a dire emergency that requires that they fly out immediately, they will be back in the US within 12 hours and could fly from Seattle.

I'm sure you are correct but my wife was pulled out of the immigration line in Toronto because her passport expired before the 6 months standard. She was admitted but had to waste a half hour or so filling out papers for a temporary entrance permit.

This website https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/canada.html

says that to enter Canada a passport must be valid at time of entry.

That being said, it's up to your comfort level if you want to renew early or go with it the way it is. Might be good to have your birth certificate too just in case. Every country has different requirement but your cruise only involves US and Canada. m--

No you don't!! Round trip cruises from Seattle are considered "closed loop" cruises and you do NOT need a passport for the cruise, nor do you need it to get off in Victoria. The only time you might need a passport is if you take an excursion from Skagway that goes into Canada. Land crossings in/out of Canada require a passport. (Though some will tell you that Canada will let you in without it, and that you only need the passport to return to the US.)

I have first hand experience with this. Two years ago, we took my son's best friend on an Alaskan cruise with us, round trip from Seattle. He did not have a passport. He used his birth certificate and state-issued photo ID. We had no issues with boarding the cruise, going into port in Victoria, or passing through customs upon returning to Seattle.

Well I guess I stand corrected. I wish it was that easy for us to go to a port in the U.S,

You might want to read jtls's post above and a few below.

It seems it might be a concern, but I am a planner and don't take chances ;)

You are partly right and partly wrong. :) All regulations respecting closed loop cruises apply to re-entry to the US and have nothing to do with the entry requirements of foreign countries visited during the course of a cruise.

Anyone entering the territorial waters of Canada is considered to have entered Canada. This is different from US legislation, and new legislation has recently been introduced in the Canadian House of Commons that addresses changes to reporting requirement. In the mean time, the following applies:

Travellers

Visitors to Canada

Have proper identification

You must carry proper identification for yourself and any children travelling with you to help confirm your legal right or authorization to enter Canada when you arrive.

All visitors arriving from or transiting through the United States should visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website for information concerning the requirements to enter, transit through, or return to the United States.

Identification requirements for U. S. citizens and permanent residents

If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you must carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification. If you are a U.S. permanent resident, ensure you carry proof of your status such as a U.S. Permanent Resident Card.

For members of a Trusted Traveller program

U.S. citizens

U.S. citizens who are members of the NEXUS program can use their membership card as proof of identification and citizenship when entering Canada by land, air or water. This applies when you are using either conventional or NEXUS-only lanes. U.S. citizens who are members of FAST may use their membership card when entering Canada by land or water only. When travelling by air, FAST cards will only be accepted as proof of identification when you are travelling to Canada from the U.S.

U.S. permanent residents

NEXUS and FAST members who are permanent residents of the U.S. must still travel with a passport and proof of permanent residence. You may be asked to present these documents to the Border Services Officer (BSO) when you arrive at the border.

No matter your mode of travel, we recommend you carry a valid passport for all travel abroad, including visits to Canada from the United States. A passport may be required by your airline or other transportation authority, since it is the only universally-accepted identification document.

There is a misconception among some passengers that those not meeting the stated entry requirements don't have to worry, they can simply stay onboard in Victoria. That is not the case under current Canadian legislation. I can't remember if it was on this board or on the Celebrity board six or eight months or so ago, but a foreign student with all of the appropriate paperwork for studying in the US decided to take an Alaska cruise that stopped in Victoria. The student didn't bother considering that his visa and other documentation was meaningless for entry into Canada, and became very upset when the cruise line wouldn't allow boarding. Too bad, but every travelled has to consider the requirements of each country visited.

The recommendation is because if you stop in Skagway . You'll need a passport for some tours that cross the Canadian border . One of your stops is Victoria BC . If you have to go home you'll need a passport to reenter the US.

I concur with this post. We did a tour in Skagway that entered Canada and we had to have a passport. We were notified when we got on the bus, and if we did not have one, had to get off. Upon entering Canada, the bus driver told us basically to behave as the Canadian Immigration person was very strict.

It is wise to get a new passport - six months is not that big a difference and pay the expedited fee. I always do as I do not want to be without my passport for any length of time. I use my passport as my ID no matter where I fly in the US or outside of the US.

Why not post it as a question to Copper10-8 who is security with HAL.

If you want a definitive answer I'd say he's the one to listen to.

I remember a couple years back a want to be passenger joined CC only to post how upset he/she was for being denied boarding for an Alaska cruise out of Seattle because their passport was due to expire within the 6 month time frame.

This is not to say it will happen to you. It is just as a useful thought of what you can/should do.

Joanie

US fees might be a little different, but a Canadian 10 year passport costs $1.33 a month! So if we get them renewed a few months before they expire, it will cost us the price of a couple of cups of coffee. By renewing a minimum of six months before expiry, we're ready to go on a moment's notice should a last minute travel opportunity arise.

Geoherb. If you DO book the cruise your current passport will be fine. An Alaska cruise does not require a passport, much less six months left on it. The misinformation from some of the replies above is astounding. As long as your passport is valid on the day you return to the US it will be fine for this itinerary.

The six month suggestion is for people who either don't want to bother with finding out the actual regulations that apply to them, or who are unable to understand them. It's a worst case generalization, which suits some people just fine....but should never be proffered as 'advice'.

No, the recommendation is for those cases where you may actually need a passport. See the HAL FAQ:

Do I Need A Passport?

Each country has its own entry requirements, and guests assume personal responsibility for having the necessary documents when boarding. Holland America Line highly recommends that all guests carry a passport that is valid for at least six months beyond the completion date of your travel. Having a passport will enable you to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port in the event you miss your scheduled embarkation or to fly back to the U.S. if you need to disembark the ship mid-cruise due to an emergency.
Edited by Boytjie

Why not post it as a question to Copper10-8 who is security with HAL.

If you want a definitive answer I'd say he's the one to listen to.

I am not so sure that it is a ship security issue, I have never had to show my passport to ship security. But I am sure John can get answers on the issue.

Because the carrier is often liable if they board a passenger with inadequate documents it may ultimately be what HAL decides at the embarkation port regardless of the fine print in Canadian regulations. I would not chance it.

HAL recommends the minimum of 6 months but please know that many countries REQUIRE this. HAL is not going to go thru each country and add specifics, that is the passengers responsibility. Liked the $1 a month fee for a passport and the story about having to fill out paperwork because of <6 months on the passport - so what is your time worth and how high is your tolerance for the 'hassle factor'?

Why tempt fate, I also recommend that you renew your passport early.