Dress down casual dining rooms now?

conwakr

I've seen a few pictures in the past month with the wooden table tops and "American table menus" in the dining room. I haven't been on Carnival in over 5 years. Does this mean I don't need to bring "cocktail" attire? Husband doesn't need a suit and sport coat? Is it now more the pub experience and food instead of upscale dining? Just trying to figure out the symbolism of down scaling the dining experience relative to what I need to pack for a week cruise. No complaints if it's a pub experience, just requires different packing and to let my husband know it's more casual shirts instead of ties.

I've seen a few pictures in the past month with the wooden table tops and "American table menus" in the dining room. I haven't been on Carnival in over 5 years. Does this mean I don't need to bring "cocktail" attire? Husband doesn't need a suit and sport coat? Is it now more the pub experience and food instead of upscale dining? Just trying to figure out the symbolism of down scaling the dining experience relative to what I need to pack for a week cruise. No complaints if it's a pub experience, just requires different packing and to let my husband know it's more casual shirts instead of ties.

You would not need cocktail attire nor would your husband need a suit, sport coat or even a tie unless you just absolutely want to bring them. There are two formal nights on a 7 night cruise but dress attire will run the gamut even on those two nights. I wore dress pants, a long sleeve dress shirt and a tie and felt overdressed.

It's not really "formal" nights on Carnival anymore. It's now "cruise elegant" with a little more casual experience. There will be tablecloths and the more "upscale" feel on those nights, but you will see dress anywhere from barely meeting the dress code to cocktail dresses and tuxes. Make yourself happy, it's your vacation!

It seems like there is no "standard" anymore. On Victory in January (Boy's Cruise) I wore dress shorts (dry cleaned and pressed) and a polo shirt to the MDR every night. No stares, no whistles, no comments, no problem. On Allure in April I did the same thing with the same result. I far prefer the "resort" direction. I have been on 40 cruises and go to relax, not pose for photos. JMHO :D:D

I've seen anything from tuxedoes to "messaged" t-shirts and jeans and baseball caps. It's become a free for all these days. Wear whatever you feel comfortable in and what your own interpretation of "elegant" is.

I like to wear a nice dress and hubby likes to wear a nice pair of dress pants, shirt and tie (no jacket..he says he's too hot).

I haven't experienced the dining room without the table cloths yet, but I'm going on the Magic in November, and I believe I will experience it then.

OK thanks. I think I'll still tell my husband to bring a sport coat but no ties (if there is a "formalish" night) and I'll just bring a plain black sundress that can be dressed up with some jewelry just in case. Will be a change for us oldsters, might be nice to have a change and see how it suits us or if we miss the more adventuresome cuisine and ambiance. There is never a "bad" cruise and we can move easily from casual to tuxedo depending on the social scene. Luggage space is tight, so nice to know what you need (or not).

For "elegant nights" on Carnival in January and May DH wore kaki pantswith a belt, a cotton collared shirt and loafers. I wore a sparkly top and good black slacks with strappy black sandals. We were neither the most or least dressed up.

All of the casualness seemed to really take off when airlines began charging for checked bags. Dress clothes and shoes take up a lot of room. :)

I suspect we'd probably feel over dressed in formal attire if they are allowing shorts and t-shirts in the dining room. I'd rather hit a happy medium and go with the flow. I live in a resort area and some of our restaurants have a separate dining area with tablecloths and waiters in uniform and customers dress up a notch and then the restaurant has an adjacent pub with wood tabletops (hate the condensation and stickiness personally but oh well) and waiters in street cloths for customers that come in jeans or shorts. If anything it helps to differentiate the Carnival brand for consumers...more power to 'em and more space in my luggage!

You can leave the jacket and tie home if you like. The spouse and I dress for each other, and either dress up or down based on our moods when packing.

Paperbkwriter, yes I was on Celebrity for 2 weeks last year (sans husband) and I kinda wished I would have brought a long dress instead of cocktail dresses. They do like to dress for dinner on that line. It's fun to see everyone at pre-dinner cocktails. I really think it perks the crew up, too. I like the differences in lines...I'm certainly no one's favorite loyalty cruiser that's for sure. I like them all for different reasons.

I own a tux and I bring it otherwise it would rot in my closet. I don't have to wear a suit and tie to work so I enjoy the rare opportunity to wear a coat and tie. I don't feel out of place but I would say on Carnival tuxes were few and far between. Princess had a few more but still not everyone. Celebrity had many but that was 13 years ago.

That is correct.

agreed....I wish those in shorts and t shirts would just go to the Buffet

Not going to happen. I don't wear t-shirts or flip flops to dinner, but I'll be in a tommy bahama button up short sleeve and nice shorts and I'll be eating in the MDR. That's just the way it is.

I don't get it; you are not happy with what Carnival allows and promotes, but you don't try alternatives that would match your preferences? As I've said in the past, it sounds like you want the ambiance provided by Princess.

This is what Carnival allows because the majority of guests want it.

Not going to happen. I don't wear t-shirts or flip flops to dinner, but I'll be in a tommy bahama button up short sleeve and nice shorts and I'll be eating in the MDR. That's just the way it is.

I don't get it; you are not happy with what Carnival allows and promotes, but you don't try alternatives that would match your preferences? As I've said in the past, it sounds like you want the ambiance provided by Princess.

CASUAL is what I want. I will be in casual shorts and untucked polo shirt in the MDR every evening except elegance night....I will throw on a pair of dockers (getting too old...dockers are more comfortable than jeans anymore)...and if I want to get real fancy... I might tuck in the polo!

For breakfast on port days and brunch on sea days, it will be athletic shorts and tee shirt.

CASUAL is what I want. I will be in casual shorts and untucked polo shirt in the MDR every evening except elegance night....I will throw on a pair of dockers (getting too old...dockers are more comfortable than jeans anymore)...and if I want to get real fancy... I might tuck in the polo!

For breakfast on port days and brunch on sea days, it will be athletic shorts and tee shirt.

Sounds fine to me. That's how I roll, more or less.

So from the sound of it, on elegant night my husband could get away with nice dress shorts and a button down collared shirt and me a long skirt and top and still get into the MDR? We used to dress up all the time but with 2 small kids and only bringing 2 suitcase (we are flying) space is very limited for "extras"

Again, you assume things I never posted. I never said I wasn't happy with Carnival. It is my favorite line. Concerning this one subject, I wish they had a more stringent dress code in the MDR

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

Again, you assume things I never posted. I never said I wasn't happy with Carnival. It is my favorite line. Concerning this one subject, I wish they had a more stringent dress code in the MDR

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Agreed. On our Dream cruise this last February, the Crimson dining room matre 'd, Devore, announced the evening before the first 'cruise elegant ' night that he would be enforcing the dress code, and those not wishing to follow it would be invited to dine in the buffet. I appreciated that