NCL Lost my luggage - now what?

My wife and I just finished our 7 day cruise onboard Pride of America in Hawaii. Our last night I placed my luggage outside our stateroom with the provided Salmon color tag. Next morning we disembarked as instructed and proceeded to baggage claim. Our luggage was not in the Salmon marked area. We searched every color in the entire terminal with no luck. We eventually filled out a lost baggage claim form and was told we'd be contacted.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Can anyone offer advice on how to proceed or what to expect.

I figure I will need to be persistent. I've already started a list of items in the luggage. So frustrating and not the best way to end a cruise ☹️.

They kept saying someone must have mistaken out luggage for theirs. I believe if this was the case another piece of luggage would have been left. We waited in the terminal a long time and all luggage looked to be claimed.

Will update as things progress.

Edited by Seasonal_Shawn

Baggage claim on ships -- and at airports for that matter -- seem to rely heavily on the honor system. I can't remember the last time I was challenged leaving any baggage claim area.

https://www.ncl.com/about/contact-us

Scroll down to Lost & Found and bug them.

This is also a good advertisement for trip insurance.

Check your travel insurance's missing luggage coverage and also the credit card company you bought your cruise with - they may cover missing luggage.

In future, you might want to get this handy device for each bag:

http://www.trakdot.com/en

Sorry this happened to you. Hopefully you didn't put anything that really mattered to you in your luggage. Once the luggage is put ashore, I believe it comes under control of the Port Authority.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Someone on the Cunard board had a problem with lost luggage, someone took theirs and never returned it nor did they ever bother to collect their rightful suitcase. She kept after Cunard for several weeks, along with the terminal/port authority and they couldn't give her the name of people who had assumedly taken her bags (she was moving and it contained a personal quilit made from her wedding dress) and she was SOL. So, I hope there wasn't anything valuable packed in the bags, as they most likely won't show up.

Having experienced someone taking my bag from an airport carousel, I now have unmistakable symbols on my luggage in wide white tape. While it helps me identify my bags, more importantly it prevents others from mistakenly taking mine, and additionally serves to make a potential thirf think twice about walking off with something so easily recognizable by its rightful owner.

When in the luggage claim area it is very easy for a theif to take his black roller bag plus someone else's similar black roller bag with little risk of being caught. And, given the number of ethically challenged slime-bags who feel entitled to cheat by smuggling liquor on board, it is naive to think that one's fellow passengers are above such more open theft.

Someone on the Cunard board had a problem with lost luggage, someone took theirs and never returned it nor did they ever bother to collect their rightful suitcase. She kept after Cunard for several weeks, along with the terminal/port authority and they couldn't give her the name of people who had assumedly taken her bags (she was moving and it contained a personal quilit made from her wedding dress) and she was SOL. So, I hope there wasn't anything valuable packed in the bags, as they most likely won't show up.
Did Cunard ever call the person who picked up their bags or who owned the bag that was left?

The late, yet still darling, Jinglette's suitcase came up missing at the end of a cruise from Seattle. We looked every where but it was plain gone. We filled out the forms for the lost luggage but never heard a peep from NCL or the port officials. Apparently, a family from Idaho gabbed the bag with about 20 others (big family) and away it went. Thankfully, they were a friendly, honest bunch and we received a phone call the next morning. They put the bag in the mail and we had it a few days later. We began express walk-off the next cruise and never looked back. I'd almost bet that is what happened to you. Hopefully it was taken by a big Idaho family and they send it home. Good luck.

Having experienced someone taking my bag from an airport carousel, I now have unmistakable symbols on my luggage in wide white tape. While it helps me identify my bags, more importantly it prevents others from mistakenly taking mine, and additionally serves to make a potential thirf think twice about walking off with something so easily recognizable by its rightful owner.

When in the luggage claim area it is very easy for a theif to take his black roller bag plus someone else's similar black roller bag with little risk of being caught. .

Yes! I have the loudest ugliest blue Hawaiian flowered luggage I could find. I can easily spot it being loaded while I'm sitting in the plane or see it coming down the carousel. I don't understand why everyone wants black luggage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes! I have the loudest ugliest blue Hawaiian flowered luggage I could find. I can easily spot it being loaded while I'm sitting in the plane or see it coming down the carousel. I don't understand why everyone wants black luggage.

Everyone has to want black luggage for your plan to work. Imagine if the luggage carousel was a sea of dreamy technicolor bags swirling around in a magnificent wave of confusion. That ugly blue Hawaiian toter would be lost forever.

NCL lost my daughters bag when we disembarked in Miami in January. We waited around until all the luggage was claimed and it wasn't there. Filled out the forms. We arrived home on Sunday and on Wednesday she called NCL and they said it had still not been located. It arrived priority mail on Thursday with no explanation but at least she go tit back.

Agree Trip,

When we first started traveling all luggage was black. It did cause some issues so we went to red and that lasted a number of years before various shades of red showed up so those went onto a garage sale. Now we are plaid and on our last cruise they were easy to find in the sea of black/colours. Hopefully we get a few more trips before these become a garage sale bargain.

My wife and I just finished our 7 day cruise onboard Pride of America in Hawaii. Our last night I placed my luggage outside our stateroom with the provided Salmon color tag. Next morning we disembarked as instructed and proceeded to baggage claim. Our luggage was not in the Salmon marked area. We searched every color in the entire terminal with no luck. We eventually filled out a lost baggage claim form and was told we'd be contacted.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Can anyone offer advice on how to proceed or what to expect.

I figure I will need to be persistent. I've already started a list of items in the luggage. So frustrating and not the best way to end a cruise ☹️.

They kept saying someone must have mistaken out luggage for theirs. I believe if this was the case another piece of luggage would have been left. We waited in the terminal a long time and all luggage looked to be claimed.

Will update as things progress.

we were on the breakaway May 29th to June 5 2016, we were in the haven suite 13902, Got off the ship around 9.00 am , we were missing 1 luggage. they kept saying someboby took the luggage by mistake , we waited until all luggage were claimed there was 5 luggages unclaimed , we filed a missinf luggage report and hoped for the best . Approx 1 week later we received a call from a pax . The Pax explained He hire a porter to get the luggage and loaded the luggage in the car . When the arrived home they realized they have our luggage they contacted Ncl and informed them of the mistake , they were told to return to port with the luggage , that's a 2 hours drive . Pax opened the luggage and found our information inside the luggage. Pax called us explained what happened and offered to ship the luggage to our home via courrier, Our Name ,telephone # and adress in Canada was inside the luggage. 1 week later we received our missing luggage.

we were on the breakaway May 29th to June 5 2016, we were in the haven suite 13902, Got off the ship around 9.00 am , we were missing 1 luggage. they kept saying someboby took the luggage by mistake , we waited until all luggage were claimed there was 5 luggages unclaimed , we filed a missinf luggage report and hoped for the best . Approx 1 week later we received a call from a pax . The Pax explained He hire a porter to get the luggage and loaded the luggage in the car . When the arrived home they realized they have our luggage they contacted Ncl and informed them of the mistake , they were told to return to port with the luggage , that's a 2 hours drive . Pax opened the luggage and found our information inside the luggage. Pax called us explained what happened and offered to ship the luggage to our home via courrier, Our Name ,telephone # and adress in Canada was inside the luggage. 1 week later we received our missing luggage.

Great to read the happy ending.

Each time we travel I create a word doc of our travel itinerary, emailed one to our son, and printed out several - to put in side pocket of our luggage, and to give to a friend.

It contains all the flight info, hotels, cruise and our contact # and email address, but NOT our home address. Don't want anyone to know our house is empty. Our luggage tags have our surname, country and contact #, NO home address. Our bags are of unique colour - easy to spot, and we have yet to see other bags of the same colour :)

To the OP - I hope your lost bag gets turned up, somehow.

Edited by bluesea777

Agree Trip,

When we first started traveling all luggage was black. It did cause some issues so we went to red and that lasted a number of years before various shades of red showed up so those went onto a garage sale. Now we are plaid and on our last cruise they were easy to find in the sea of black/colours. Hopefully we get a few more trips before these become a garage sale bargain.

Slightly off topic, but if you want really loud and really hard to miss or mistake luggage, look into Heys America. You can find it much cheaper beyond their website.

My mother in law has a few pieces and needless to say, there is absolutely no possible way someone could mistake one of those bags as their own.

As another poster stated, we mark our bags with a design in brightly colored duct tape, and purchase travel insurance. The insurance does protect against lost bags.

My friends had bags missing from one cruise and their insurance reembursed them.

Back in the day of everyone-had-black-luggage, we docked in Miami and one of our bags was missing when we picked them up. We filed the form and waited. I called every couple days--Miami is a long way from Oregon so I didn't have high hopes of getting it back. Each call was the same with the rep saying, "We'll contact you when we locate your bag." Which, of course, they didn't. It showed up three weeks later and I had to pay $30 because they'd shipped it C.O.D. :mad: Another call and I had a refund and $50 off our next booking. C.O.D.? Give me a break! :eek:

Hopefully, OP will reunite happily with his/their missing luggage(s) and wasn't flying home yesterday, staying post-cruise might help if the bags showed up later in the evening.

We almost lost one checked piece at POA's easy disembarkation a few years ago, luckily it was found about an hour later (without returning to the terminal in the afternoon and/or to call them for status update) and we're staying for 2 more days for more Aloha ;)

It's possible the bags were mistaken loaded by someone from the shuttle vans (or even the chartered post-cruise buses) - some of them were allowed to park near the buses and went sightseeing & then show up at the end of the day after airport dropoff.

Ours were taken off the ship but it turned out to be mixed up in a different color section and took them efforts to spot it & brought it out to us. It wasn't a black Travelpro with no distinctive markings or tags, etc. - fairly difficult to be confused with someone else's with color tags & handle wraps, etc.

We always take quick pictures of the bags, both inside & outside for contents, on our smartphone before sending it off to the porter, check-in counter, ect. usually when we are done with packing ... sort of insider's tips.

Below here, however, is something even worst - boarding the cruise & 6 or 7 hours later, after sailaway and dinner - discovered that all the bags (2 or 3 of them) to be missing on the ship and your next port isn't till 3 days later ... and, it's not in the naughty room or sitting in another hallway somewhere else. It happened to one stateroom on our Breakaway cruise this May, a 29" bag, another 22" roller plus a medium duffle bag on wheels - apparently, we learned toward the end of the cruise from our RS, it was never found & remained missing - despite all points bulletin issued to all stateroom's guests to help locate it (and, I wouldn't be surprised if crew discretely went around to look under the beds, etc. to see if someone purposely took them & kept it, etc.) with a notice appealing to everyone for assistance. Imagine how the guests felt - all week on the cruise with nothing but whatever they worn for embarkation ... hopefully, they kept their personal items, medications & other valuables with some sort of carry-on. That was truly an, OMG.

Next time, check to see if the ship's gift shops carry/sell underwear & socks, as one can get some sort of sleepwear like sweat pants & t-shirts. I know we didn't see such items displayed on the BA's shop - maybe, they have some standard items in the crew's provisioning store below deck.

85b783b04dcb0dad792e964683855b93.jpg

Edited by mking8288

It depends on how much work you want to do claiming the lost baggage through NCL. If they find in your favor, you only get $100 per bag unless you have advised them in advance that your stuff is worth more, and have paid a fee of 5% of the value of your bags before sailing. From the Guest Ticket Contract (pdf) paragraph 7:

(b) The Guest and Carrier agree and stipulate that the aggregate value of all the Guest's baggage and any other property lawfully brought on board by the Guest, which shall include but not be limited to photographic equipment, jewelry, watches, cell phones, clothing and cash, does not exceed U.S. $100.00 and any liability of the Carrier or the vessel for any cause whatsoever with respect to said baggage and other property regardless of whether carried in baggage or by a Guest shall not exceed such sum unless

the Guest shall specify its true value, in writing, and pay to the Carrier before embarkation 5% of the excess of such value, in which case the Carrier's liability, if any, shall be limited to the actual damage sustained up to, but not exceeding such specified value.

It might be easier to avoid the NCL "Customer No Service" department and just file a claim with your travel insurance.