40- Somethings

allready

We have always cruised RCL or NCL, but considering HAL because the ports and date is right. How out of place will 40- something be on board. I have heard the ship has quite older guests.

We are traveling for an anniversary and leaving the kiddos at home, so kind of looking for a low volumen of kids atmosphere.

Thoughts?

We have always cruised RCL or NCL, but considering HAL because the ports and date is right. How out of place will 40- something be on board. I have heard the ship has quite older guests.

We are traveling for an anniversary and leaving the kiddos at home, so kind of looking for a low volumen of kids atmosphere.

Thoughts?

That will depend somewhat on the length of the cruise, the itinerary, and the time of year you sail. I'm 48, and I have never felt out of place on HAL. I frequently sail NCL, too, and I feel at home on both lines. And I've been on longer NCL cruises where I was one of the youngest passengers. I would suggest you give HAL a try, and then you will know for sure.

A lot depends on the time of year and the length of the cruise. Older passengers <i>tend</i> to go on the non-summer, longer cruises and younger cruisers and families go during the summer and on shorter-cruises.

Not hard and fast rule but something we have observed. We are old (mid-70's), but there are those who are even older, and mobility challenged too. But they are out there still seeing the world and sending us the message there is a lot more ahead for us in our lives too. Go team.

In other words, don't see the "older" demographics as a negative. These are first and foremost fellow travelers, which means you will always be in good company.

DH and I are 41, we've sailed RCL and NCL and in 3 weeks we're sailing HAL for the first time. I've also heard that this line skews older, but we're hoping that it also attracts a different clientele than the other two.

In looking at our options, I thought it was much more important to find an onboard experience that matches our wants vs. one that matches our age group. Most of the people on NCL were older than us anyway, but we sail longer itineraries in Europe, so that could be why.

If HAL doesn't deliver what we want, we'll be looking at the next level up to the luxury lines, which will surely skew older than us.

We felt out of place on NCL, but it wasn't because of our age. Age is the least of my worries.

My 1st cruise was done for my 30th birthday and strangely it was on a HAL ship due to the ports and the price. Since then I have not stopped cruising even when one of the younger passengers on a long cruise (had a fantastic time). You should be fine and even the 'older' passengers are hard to keep up with on occasion and have great stories. You will not find belly flop or hairy leg contests or rock walls on a HAL ship,, just elegance and fantastic service - thankfully!

I was 43, when I sailed first with HAL and they are my favourite cruiseline. Sometimes the majority of other guests are much older - but very very nice. I met lots of wonderful people on HAL-ships.

Edited by Wendy-Europe

We did our first as 40 somethings. Aside from older parents bringing their young adult children we were among the younger guest. But it was completely great and fine. We are not ones who would go out late for a party atmosphere; I'm likely to be in bed among first on the ship. I didn't get a sense there was much partying late, but I could certainly have just missed it.

Everyone was friendly. During ports we could do active excursions and enjoyed them very much. We enjoyed a quiet relaxing atmosphere on board to unwind.

We have booked and returned several trips since.

I was 43, when I sailed first with HAL and they are my favourite cruiseline. Sometimes the majority of other guests are much older - but very very nice. I met lots of wonderful people on HAL-ships.

Me, too!

It's the older, retired people who have the time and resources to cruise on longer itineraries. Most of us who are still working have limitations to our vacation time and how long we can be away from work. I'm fortunate in that I can go for three + weeks of vacation at a time but, I think, most can't because of work and family commitments. It's just a fact. A week long cruise can have a much younger demographic.

If you are looking for a cruise that has fewer children, slower paced, quieter and excellent service, you will fit in fine on HAL. My wife and I are in our early 40's and have our 9th HAL cruised booked for this November. We have cruised Carnival and Royal Caribbean, but keep coming back to HAL because it is the best fit for us.

I completely agree with the poster who said she/he enjoys HAL for the clientele it attracts as opposed to the age demographic.

The chances of being run over in the hallways by kids or encountering ball-cap wearing, bucket of beer carrying passengers are definitely lower on HAL. Not saying those are BAD things, just saying they are harder to find on HAL.

Edited by ithaca gal
Grammar

We started cruising on Holland America in our late 20s. We cruised them in our 30s, 40s and are now in our 50s. They're a good fit for us. We've always liked HAL, but have sailed on several other lines.

What ship are you on? The ship and the sailing will make a big difference in the average age. Regardless, it's probably well worth a try.

And - to be honest - at some cruises we went earlier to bed than some of the older guests :D

And we always met interesting people and had a lot to talk about. Starting with a lady working all over the world at american embassies, the guy who was involved at the national park management, the singer, who was also a banker and a university prof and the oncologist, the pilot, and many many more... sure - many of them retired. But everyone nice, friendly and open for new experiences.

No - I had never a boring minute on a HAL-ship...

You should be fine and even the 'older' passengers are hard to keep up with on occasion and have great stories. You will not find belly flop or hairy leg contests or rock walls on a HAL ship,, just elegance and fantastic service - thankfully!

I keep thinking "aged" like fine wine. Probably no tequila shooters.

Where do you fit in ?

You will appreciate that the ship is not full of kids, easier to leave yours behind.

We took our first HAL cruise when we were 28 and loved it. We enjoy the traditional feel of the ships as well as the excellent staff. The point of no return so far for us however are the excellent itineraries and shipmates!

We enjoy listening and talking with seasoned travelers. We have found that the discussions are better balanced when talking about ports/cultures as many have been to these ports numerous times and frequently over decades.

I would suggest that you try Hal perhaps on a R or S class ship and at least a 14 day voyage! Please let us know your thoughts after your cruise if you cruise on HAL.

We have been traveling on HAL for the past 15 years and have noticed that most passengers are a bit older than on some of the other lines (NCL, Carnival and RCL). But this does vary by cruise length and time of year.

We are more comfortable on HAL since the majority of passengers we meet seem to be more similar to us, not necessarily due to age, but rather attitude and how they handle themselves.

I recently got my friend (mid-50s but a younger attitude) to try HAL and he and his wife loved it. So, give it a try and see for yourself. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

my first cruise on HAL I was in my 30s and brought three kids on the ship. It was one of the kids favorite cruises and they have been on lots. We enjoyed the service and food quite a bit. The pools are not crazy crowdwd. There are quite a few elderly cruisers with walkers who almost live on the ship. It is a very nice cruise line.

My wife and I began our cruising with lines now out of business. We were in our 20s, had parents to watch the kids, and managed weeks abroad. We chose HAL because it was rather new and we have used it over and over again; always with satisfaction. Yes, we used Cunard for a round trip to England, and 5 times on the little yacht-like ships of Regent. We learned to hate NCL during one trip to Alaska. We tried a Carnival and found it truly a carnival of child wildness.

In the beginning, (I must read like I'm about to discuss the history of dirt) we avoided the 'old' people with their motor contraptions, canes, and walkers. We often asked ourselves the question back then, "Why don't these old fuddies stay home where they can take their time?" We, frankly, were on the move. As we aged and became wiser about such things as 'growing up', we developed more tolerance for the elderly. We discovered they were some of the best dinner guests as compared with the younger set all around us. They actually had experiences worth talking about and not always just about ports, either. Like one person wrote in this thread, their backgrounds were diverse and none of them similar to the life we have led. These gentle people were not afraid to talk for they were not being measured by people who know them back home and in their families. Friendship bonds developed and a few of the 'Old fuddies' I met back then, and who are still alive, email me to this day.

We always return to HAL and on this 17-day voyage in December to Hawaii and back, we will be celebrating our 63 years together. We are in our 80s, walking still, and will go out of our way not to block you in the food lines or at the departure hatches. We promise.

Edited by 2old4this

Thanks to indulgent parents, we started cruising -- on HAL -- in 1986. It was not only our first cruise, but also the first for our children. So far, our daughter has been on 12 cruises 'sponsored' by my folks or us. Nine of the 12 have been on HAL, three on RCL; she has also paid her own way several times on RCL. Approaching 40 next month, she still prefers HAL [and not only because we pay]. She says there is less pressure on her to "do things" so she can relax and enjoy herself. And while her 3-year-old daughter did not like Club HAL, she loves cruising and has been on three cruises already! You gotta start them young.