Current Captains

lakemurraykid

56 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

Hello John  ( Copper10-8 ) , I have a different kind of question that I have been toying with for a little bit . 

I believe the current Captain on the Volendam Capt Chris Turner is on his last stint as a Holland America Captain and is going into his retirement , the date I have heard from himself was January 2019 but that was about a year ago . 

Could you tell me if it is possible to send him our Best Wishes in his retirement . We have cruised with him on 4 different ships in very different regions and had some nice chats with him and a couple of very special Captains Dinners ! 

What do you think would be the best way to reach him , we will be on the Premier Cruise of the Nieuw Statendam next week and were wondering if we could drop a card at the front office or send it to Seattle . Any suggestions ? 

Thank you very much in advance . Always appreciate the wealth of information that you are able and willing to provide us with . 

Tony , "Sailing Dutchy " 

Hi Tony; Capt. Turner is indeed Volendam's current Master until 18 Jan 2019 at which time, it is my understanding, he will retire after 21 years with HAL. Volie is currently doing Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego round trips into the new year. Your best bet is to send your "Best Wishes" card to

Capt. Chistopher Turner

Master ms Volendam

Holland America Line

450 Third Avenue West

Seattle, WA 98119

They will forward your card to the Volendam, either in FLL or San Diego

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Hi Tony; Capt. Turner is indeed Volendam's current Master until 18 Jan 2019 at which time, it is my understanding, he will retire after 21 years with HAL. Volie is currently doing Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego round trips into the new year. Your best bet is to send your "Best Wishes" card to

Capt. Chistopher Turner

Master ms Volendam

Holland America Line

450 Third Avenue West

Seattle, WA 98119

They will forward your card to the Volendam, either in FLL or San Diego

Sad to see him go, he was captain on two of our cruises and by far the most visible and approachable captain we experienced. The only one that allowed formal pictures taken with guests, much to the enjoyment of my other half :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by Alphen
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Alphen said:

Sad to see him go, he was captain on two of our cruises and by far the most visible and approachable captain we experienced. The only one that allowed formal pictures taken with guests, much to the enjoyment of my other half :classic_rolleyes:

Captain Christopher is also the only one that I have seen who gives ALL the ladies 3 kisses  ,  the Dutch way , at the medal ceremonies something almost all the ladies including my DW really appreciate ! :classic_biggrin: and yes Jeroen I agree very approachable  and seen all over the ship . We are sorry to see him leave but wish him a very happy retirement after all those years with HAL ! 

• Like 2

On 7/1/2018 at 4:19 PM, Wehwalt said:

Thanks for the info. I'm doing the Nieuw Statendam maiden voyage. I was on the last voyage of the old ... is there any word on the cruise director?

At the moment, Captain Albert has blogged that Ross MacTaggart is on board as Cruise Director.  We are on for the premier voyage - I don't know if he is staying on after that.

4 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

Captain Christopher is also the only one that I have seen who gives ALL the ladies 3 kisses  ,  the Dutch way , at the medal ceremonies something almost all the ladies including my DW really appreciate ! :classic_biggrin: and yes Jeroen I agree very approachable  and seen all over the ship . We are sorry to see him leave but wish him a very happy retirement after all those years with HAL ! 

Image result for Captain Chris Turner

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Howdy Syd; possibly Christina Purcell but not confirmed yet

We have been to so many wonderful places around the world with Christina, starting out when she was port lecturer.  The evolution of a cruise director must be a very interesting story.

3 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

We have been to so many wonderful places around the world with Christina, starting out when she was port lecturer.  The evolution of a cruise director must be a very interesting story.

Yes I hope that Christina will be on the Koningsdam in Jan 2019. She was our CD this past January on the Koningsdam.  Very nice person, always willing to talk to guests and out and about.

6 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

She has two Maitre 'd's (back to the old name) at the moment, Father; Alan Setiawan and Tjitradjaja "Cidra" Pudja

I will be a passenger on the NS on the last days of February and the first days of next March.  I hope that Cidra will be the Matre 'd. We go back over 22 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Syd2000 said:

Christina Purcell is a wonderful CD. However, her Facebook makes it seem like she is no longer a CD. Could this be true?

Her Linkedin profile says 'Cruise Director Holland America Line July 2013 to September 2018'.  So she may have moved to a new challenge.

On 7/31/2016 at 6:41 AM, Krazy Kruizers said:

This is the HAL board.

I see in your signature you do not have any HAL cruises booked.

To find out the captains on your cruises you need to ask that question on the RCI, NCL, Princess and Azmara boards.

Exactly   🙂

On 12/2/2018 at 5:48 PM, VMax1700 said:

Her Linkedin profile says 'Cruise Director Holland America Line July 2013 to September 2018'.  So she may have moved to a new challenge.

I contacted Christina via her Facebook page and she said that she was going to be on the Koningsdam in January 2019 but not working.

3 hours ago, KenNMB said:

Copper10-8,

hey, John - any idea who the Captain, and CD and Hotel Director (and entertainment) might be on the Eurodam Feb 3-20 (Circle Hawaii)?

Hi Ken;

Capt. Eric Barhorst

HD Ruben Kooiman

CD Jorge Alvarez

Sorry, can't help you with entertainment except to say that the current cast departs on 27 Jan 19

15 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Hi Ken;

Capt. Eric Barhorst

HD Ruben Kooiman

CD Jorge Alvarez

Sorry, can't help you with entertainment except to say that the current cast departs on 27 Jan 19

Hi Copper, can I assume this is the lineup we'll see next week (Dec 9-16) on Eurodam?

Hello Copper,

Any idea yet who the Captain, Hotel Director and Cruise Director might be for the Volendam 30-day Incan Empires cruise from San Diego on February 2nd?  Would it be pushing my luck to also ask for Cellar Master (Csaba told us he would board in Lima but I believe he is now on the Nieuw Statendam) and Mix entertainer? Thanks for all your help.

6 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

Hello Copper,

Any idea yet who the Captain, Hotel Director and Cruise Director might be for the Volendam 30-day Incan Empires cruise from San Diego on February 2nd?  Would it be pushing my luck to also ask for Cellar Master (Csaba told us he would board in Lima but I believe he is now on the Nieuw Statendam) and Mix entertainer? Thanks for all your help.

Hello Taxman;

Capt. Frank van der Hoeven

HD Craig Oakes

CD unk at this time

CM Manik Selveraj

Can't help you with the Mix piano dude, sorry and Hungarian CM extraordinaire Czaba Toth is in fact on the brand new Nieuw S until mid-Feb. Enjoy that 30-day treasure! :classic_biggrin:

11 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Hello Taxman;

Capt. Frank van der Hoeven

HD Craig Oakes

CD unk at this time

CM Manik Selveraj

Can't help you with the Mix piano dude, sorry and Hungarian CM extraordinaire Czaba Toth is in fact on the brand new Nieuw S until mid-Feb. Enjoy that 30-day treasure! :classic_biggrin:

Thank you Sir, much appreciated !