Guarantee downgrade?

RobandJames

thanks everyone for your input. Our TA hasn't mentioned anything about a water leak.

We will have to wait til Monday when more senior people at Celebrity and our TA can have a conversation. meantime I am going to go back to our TA and say our only option is to swap rooms with our friends but they need to make a better offer first!

I would either offer my balcony to friends, or ask Celebrity to downgrade you as well and get the same "deal" as your friends. That way, neither of you have balcony envy, you both have a great cruise, and you both get to cruise at a great rate! :)

In that the O.P.booked under US terms, U.K. consumer protection won't apply

I am not even sure if US consumer protection applies. My understanding (and I admit, no more than that) is that, although EU protection (and the UK is still in the EU at present) would apply if someone from outside that EU booked in the EU, this is not the same for someone booking in the USA from outside the USA.

Edited by Project_gal

One thing that puzzles me, if flooding is really the reason for this. My cruise doesn't go for 2.5 weeks so surely they could sort things out before then?

Yes, this is the thing that also bothers me about this story. We had bad flooding in a Celebrity Suite on Millennium years back. Despite the maintenance people handling it badly, concentrating on the hallway rather than our bedroom, our butler stepped in, moving the drying equipment to our bedroom himself and we were only inconvenienced for a day. by the end of the day, he had dried the bedroom and put the room back together again where we had been paddling in the morning.

The ships often replace carpet when required and I cannot see how rooms would be out of use for more than one cruise.

In the interim whilst you are waiting for your TA to resolve the issue send notice of your plight to Miami Head Office via concerns@celebrity.com This email address goes into the CEO's office. Where I have had a significant issue in the past Head Office have either overruled a local decision or improved the offer made. You have nothing to lose. After sending your email expect an automatic reply that someone will be in contact within 5 working days. Haven't ever noticed that they miss this deadline.

Roband James

If you use this option, remember to stress that your friends are first time cruisers and you were, prior to this episode, hoping/expecting them to become long-time cruisers.

Btw tired to send an email to "concerns@celebrity.com" and"concerns@celebritycruises.com" and both bounced back as bad email addresses. So I had to send a very abbreviated email via their website (only allows 1000 characters!). Any one else know of an email address that works?

Edited by RobandJames

It does appear that this is happening with greater frequency on Celebrity. We recently decided to book Princess over Celebrity, in that we had problems booking (and we chose to cancel) on two previous Celebrity Cruises we had book.ed

Latest update: Jjust logged onto Celebrity and both us and our friends now have cabins (2a) so that's great news! Not heard directly yet from TA or Celebriry- so hope nothing changes!!

Thanks for all your support and encouragement we can finally start to look forward to the cruise now!

Latest update: Jjust logged onto Celebrity and both us and our friends now have cabins (2a) so that's great news! Not heard directly yet from TA or Celebriry- so hope nothing changes!!

Thanks for all your support and encouragement we can finally start to look forward to the cruise now!

Outstanding!

Glad to hear it!! Enjoy your cruise!

Congratulations. In hind site it appears that the "offer" to move to OV was in fact an offer and not a requirement. As you may have noticed several people on your cruise with assigned cabins jumped at the offer.

Now, go and enjoy your cruise in a balcony cabin.

Quick... complete your online boarding now! Be sure to print off your sea pass showing your 2A cabins.

Glad to hear of the satisfactory outcome.

Edited by RickT

Great news. Enjoy your veranda cabin and your cruise

The downgrade offer is new to me, but have heard in the past of offers to guarantee bookings to switch cabins or dates due to overbooking. You can say no to the offer and they just keep offering to others until they get enough to take the offer and open up the cabins they need. Sounds like this is what happened for you. Glad it all worked out. I know it's frustrating and scary when your plans look they are about to fall apart shortly before. Congratulations on getting your balcony cabins.

• 1 year later...

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I just booked a 2A Guarantee for next year with likely the same large online agency. It's now showing as sold out on the TA's website and I'm wondering if Celebrity will assign me to something better like Concierge now, or wait until much closer to the cruise to see if some 2A's open up. I'd be amenable to a downgrade to a 2B if they threw a few dollars my way, I only booked the 2A because there was obviously a group rate and it was over a thousand dollars less than the current price of a 2C. We're Elite but I'm not sure if that matters.

A fellow CC member on a Summit cruise we were also on a couple of years ago had booked a suite guarantee and they never were able to get her one. They offered to put her in Aqua and she wasn't happy with that. Eventually she got a complete refund and got to stay in Aqua. That would certainly have worked for me, although I think she was still unhappy (I guess if you're used to a suite and the money isn't important, it's not acceptable).

Thank you. It won't ruin our holiday but we will be pursuing it with the TA.

Question- has this happened to anyone else. Is it a common occurance?

I do know of someone who had Nan experience with an overbooked cruise However they had a very satisfactory outcome. They had booked a 1 x balcony for 2 pax and 1 inside for 1 pax. They were called 10 days prior to sailing and offered FV balcony for all 3 full refund of single pax fair drinks package and u limited internet. The booking was with X and they were more than happy with the outcome.

I personally would make the TA know you have spoken with X and that you are laying responsibility at there door and will be posting on social media.