Smoking on balconies

LeCricket

They instituted the no smoking policy on balconies because of several ship fires. Anyone caught smoking on their balcony should be kicked off the ship at the next port. If they cause a fire they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. They are legally entitled to destroy their own health, but when they endanger others they need to be treated accordingly.

For those of you that frequently book balconies, how often have you run across smoking neighbors? Is it pretty uncommon? It would be such a bummer to pay for a balcony and have to put up with smoke.

Thanks.

Cricket

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Never, since the balcony policy change.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jeez folks...this is really a non-issue. The wind blows it away, so YOU aren't breathing it. Live and let live. I can't imagine spending my vacation time trying to "catch" someone doing something they aren't supposed to. Waste of MY time!~

Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It's not a one time fine.

1st offense - Warning

2nd offense - $250.00 fine

3rd offense - Put off the ship

We were told by our stateroom attendant on one cruise that it is a $250 fine each time they are reported/caught. That could get pricey pretty fast.

For those of you that frequently book balconies, how often have you run across smoking neighbors? Is it pretty uncommon? It would be such a bummer to pay for a balcony and have to put up with smoke.

Thanks.

Cricket

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just hang out No Smoking signs on both sides.

It's not a one time fine.

1st offense - Warning

2nd offense - $250.00 fine

3rd offense - Put off the ship

Is this in writing anywhere or just message board rumor? I would think that the level of one's loyalty program along w/ the particular cabin the smoker has would come into play. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. :D

Is this in writing anywhere or just message board rumor? I would think that the level of one's loyalty program along w/ the particular cabin the smoker has would come into play. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. :D

From RCI website...

Smoking is not permitted inside any stateroom and any stateroom balcony. This applies to all stateroom categories onboard. If a guest is in violation of this stateroom policy, a cleaning fee of $250 USD will be applied to their SeaPass® account and may be subject to further action pursuant to the "Consequences Section" of the Guest Conduct Policy.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=3101

and Consequences

Consequences

Failure to act in accordance with this policy may result in:

• Intervention by Security, other management personnel or law enforcement

• Removal of certain onboard privileges, which may include being detained, quarantined

or confined in a stateroom or holding cell

• Confiscation of illegal/contraband/prohibited items (may be turned over to the law

enforcement authorities)

• Denial of boarding on the current or any future Royal Caribbean cruise

• Reporting of the incidents to government and law enforcement authorities for follow-on legal action

• Removal from a ship at the next port of call. Guests removed from a Royal Caribbean

International ship pursuant to this policy, are responsible for their own accommodations and

transportation home, at their expense. Documentation requirements for re-entry into the guest's

home country are also the responsibility of the guest.

I doubt that the person's Loyalty Status or Cabin Category would make a difference in implementation of RCI's policy.

First hand experience. I'll admit to it, I was busted a week after the policy changed. The steward turned me in. I got a warning followed up later that evening with a letter delivered to the cabin explaining the procedure.

good to know about the fines and policies, but, how could the cruise officers "catch" your neighbors smoking? By the time they arrive, I'd imagine the offenders would have thrown everything out to the sea and declare their innocence :confused:

Well if need be, one could take a picture of the offense. I should expect that is more than enough proof, as several cruises ago we escalated a smoking complaint with just our word alone. :)

good to know about the fines and policies, but, how could the cruise officers "catch" your neighbors smoking? By the time they arrive, I'd imagine the offenders would have thrown everything out to the sea and declare their innocence :confused:

Stand next to a smoker, it's obvious by the "ashtray cologne" they seem to all wear.

Jeez folks...this is really a non-issue. The wind blows it away, so YOU aren't breathing it. Live and let live. I can't imagine spending my vacation time trying to "catch" someone doing something they aren't supposed to. Waste of MY time!~

Well you must be a smoker then? No I guess it's a non issue if you have asthma or another breathing ailment. What an asinine post.

Just off Jewel and we had a smoker next door. It meant that we couldn't use the balcony or have the door open without smelling it. He even had an ashtray on the balcony table. ( yes we peeped round to look). We reported it to guest services and it stopped the same day.

I have little tolerance for people who break the rules and put an entire ship in jeopardy by throwing cigarettes overboard since there are no ashtrays on the balconies.

I've heard the fine for being caught smoking on the balcony is $250. If I were a die hard smoker, I'd just pay the $250 upfront and ask nicely for an ashtray. The $250 would simply become part of the cruise cost.

Royal needs a much stiffer penalty.

You can be absolutely certain that if I smell smoke wafting around my balcony I'm going to "catch" this rule breaker and turn them in.

They fine is $250 per occurrence, not for the entire cruise, and if you're caught multiple times you are at risk of being put off the ship. Pretty stiff penalty if you ask me. And in my many cruises since the balcony smoking ban was put into effect I've never had an issue with balcony smokers.