Is it the 1950s or the year 2016?

aussielozzie18

I know we're all different but if I was with Mrs Gut 24/7 it still wouldn't be enough.

I support the ops right to travel alone, but please don't critique those that would be together every second of every day if they could.

Many husbands, including my own, would say the same! (about their own wives, of course, not about Mrs. Gut!! :eek:)

Mrs. Gut is truly blessed by such devotion! (and I mean that VERY sincerely!!)

But I'm sure we all know that there are cases in which just this sort of enthusiasm for togetherness causes a woman to need some "alone" time! :rolleyes:

I am sure that this is NOT the case for Mrs. Gut, though... :)

Hi OP,

Yes, it appears that this is still the 1950's. I say good for you; in my world married couples often take trips independently and also together. The men take hunting or fishing or even golf trips with their buddies and the women take beach or shopping trips or LV trips with their girlfriends. It lets them enjoy their own interests when the spouse has no interest it; it fosters a healthy relationship.

There is no 'letting' a spouse go if they choose to take a trip. Sometimes they even go by themselves so I am not sure I understand the talk abut cruising solo.

I travel solo and when someone says something that seems quite rude and just tell them "I just love it" and with the bravery comment I always say "You should try it!".

Mostly I think people are just naïve and really do not have a bad intent even though they are coming across as such.

Safe cruising all!!! :)

My first thought is: if it's okay with your husband, why is it anyone else's business?

I have to laugh at your having no one to talk to, as my impression is you'll be busy juggling all the new friends you make.

And I had to laugh over "Is it ok with your husband?"

I travel a lot...4 trips to Europe and Asia this year. My husband stays home.. I'm often asked if he "minds." Frankly, he does a little. But, he doesn't want to travel and I do. Eventually we will be too old to travel, I want to hit my bucket list spots while I can. Traveling solo works for me!

AND remember, some people don't do anything by themselves:rolleyes:

Eating out, going to the movies, etc......in my opinion, those are sad souls.

Going on a cruise? It would NEVER occur to some folks that traveling solo

is even an option....that is (in my opinion) their loss.

I agree wholeheartedly with Lois!

Yes, there's always the "brave" comment, but the more I travel solo, the more I find I need to be brave when taking on a roommate. As a solo, you do what you want when you want to, no compromises!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

AND remember, some people don't do anything by themselves:rolleyes:

Actually I couldn't disagree more, if I didn't want to be with Mrs Gut I wouldn't have married her.

If you find us to be "sad souls" well I guess I feel sorry for you.

Edited by GUT2407

Many husbands, including my own, would say the same! (about their own wives, of course, not about Mrs. Gut!! :eek:)

Mrs. Gut is truly blessed by such devotion! (and I mean that VERY sincerely!!)

But I'm sure we all know that there are cases in which just this sort of enthusiasm for togetherness causes a woman to need some "alone" time! :rolleyes:

I am sure that this is NOT the case for Mrs. Gut, though... :)

I accept all that, but find it strange that on a thread about what I can only call "rude comments" made to someone travelling alone, I am reading similar comments about those of us who want to be together every possible moment.

As I said we are all different, I just don't get why some think one is ok but the other not.

I know we're all different but if I was with Mrs Gut 24/7 it still wouldn't be enough.

I support the ops right to travel alone, but please don't critique those that would be together every second of every day if they could.

I think you're reading something into Lois' post and the OP's post that isn't there. They are just saying it's sad that some people would not expand their minds beyond traveling as part of a couple to the idea of traveling solo. She's not saying there is anything wrong with traveling as part of a couple! I'm sure many of us singles would be very happy to have a relationship with someone they wanted to spend all day every day with--but we don't, and we're not going to stay home just because we don't.

Nobody is saying there is anything wrong with wanting to travel with your one true love! They are saying there is also nothing wrong with wanting to travel on your own--and that is something that many people just can't seem to wrap their heads around! :)

Girl enjoy your cruise. Make sweet memories with the hubby before you leave. Enjoy your cruise. And make sweet memories with the hubby when you return. You'll be reenergized, refreshed and renewed.

I have a new BF. We're scheduled to go cruise Thanksgiving. He might not be able to cruise. Im secretly excited I might get to cruise solo. LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I think you're reading something into Lois' post and the OP's post that isn't there. They are just saying it's sad that some people would not expand their minds beyond traveling as part of a couple to the idea of traveling solo. She's not saying there is anything wrong with traveling as part of a couple! I'm sure many of us singles would be very happy to have a relationship with someone they wanted to spend all day every day with--but we don't, and we're not going to stay home just because we don't.

Nobody is saying there is anything wrong with wanting to travel with your one true love! They are saying there is also nothing wrong with wanting to travel on your own--and that is something that many people just can't seem to wrap their heads around! :)

Not sure what can be read wrong in the post that said

AND remember, some people don't do anything by themselves

People who want to do things with their partner are "sad souls".

No idea how that's less rude or offensive than asking someone is there husband ok with them travelling alone.

I will stand for anyone's right to do what's best for them, including travelling solo, but I take offence at being called a "sad soul" simply because I want to be with me wife. I find the term offensive, my soul rejoices every time I see hear or feel Mrs Gut.

No idea how that's less rude or offensive than asking someone is there husband ok with them travelling alone.

Actually, that's not what the post said......it said people who never go out and do things on their own are sad souls. That's not the same things as saying those who want to do things with others are sad souls. The first (the original statement) didn't say anything about what those people would prefer to do or want to do - only that those who are unwilling to go out and do things alone are sad. And I kind of agree with that.

If you are someone who wants to do things with your partner but when (for whatever reason) you are unable to, you would never venture out to do it on your own instead -- yeah, I think that's kind of a sad person who's unwilling to experience even a bit of life on his/her own or is uncomfortable with his/her own company. Because there will be times when one is unable to be with his/her partner -- illness, business obligations, or even death -- regardless of what one wants. Those who are unwilling to do things alone will probably be those same sad souls who emotionally close up shop and become shadows of themselves when their spouse dies (my brother's MIL is like that, and it is sad).

Thanks again everyone for your supportive comments.

Mr Gut, enjoy your cruises with the lovely Mrs Gut, but please don't turn this thread into an us vs them debate.

I've got lots of tips from previous posts on this solo cruisers forum.

Looking forward to my first solo cruise which is not too far away and best wishes to anyone else who is cruising solo for the first time this year.

Thanks again everyone for your supportive comments.

Mr Gut, enjoy your cruises with the lovely Mrs Gut, but please don't turn this thread into an us vs them debate.

I've got lots of tips from previous posts on this solo cruisers forum.

Looking forward to my first solo cruise which is not too far away and best wishes to anyone else who is cruising solo for the first time this year.

I hung out quite a bit on my first cruise with a married woman who was cruising solo. Her husband didn't like cruising but she didn't like hunting, so they each took a one-week separate vacation during the year to indulge their particular interests, then kept their other vacation week for holiday travel together.

There is no "right" or "wrong" way to live or vacation, I think. People should be able to do what makes them happy whether it's traveling together or traveling solo and not get judged.

Have a blast, OP!

Not sure what can be read wrong in the post that said

I will stand for anyone's right to do what's best for them, including travelling solo, but I take offence at being called a "sad soul" simply because I want to be with me wife. I find the term offensive, my soul rejoices every time I see hear or feel Mrs Gut.

I've personally known Lois for many years, and in no way, shape, or form is she being rude/offensive. And I agree with her- it's sad when someone misses out on the joys of living simply because they are afraid/intimidated to do so in their own company. And that shoe fits both married as well as single people.

Please don't interpret that statement as some sort of personal attack when it's not.

Tony

I've personally known Lois for many years, and in no way, shape, or form is she being rude/offensive. And I agree with her- it's sad when someone misses out on the joys of living simply because they are afraid/intimidated to do so in their own company. And that shoe fits both married as well as single people.

Please don't interpret that statement as some sort of personal attack when it's not.

Tony

I agree, please don't slam people because their opinion might differ from yours. It's wonderful to travel with your mate and I did that for a number of years. But once I was alone, I knew that he would want me to live my life as well as possible - and that's what I'm trying to do. I'm not going to miss out on travel or any other aspect of living my life to the fullest and am happy living life to the fullest, which means traveling and living solo.

Actually I couldn't disagree more, if I didn't want to be with Mrs Gut I wouldn't have married her.

If you find us to be "sad souls" well I guess I feel sorry for you.

I never said you were sad.......you are misunderstanding my post.

I have been on a cruise for the past week........as for being rude? I feel

sorry for you if you feel sorry for me.

I don't care how people cruise..........couples, families, solo's...etc....

My point is that going solo is awesome and "having to do something with

a partner" does not apply to everyone......and if that is the only way

someone can have a good time? Well, in my opinion, that is sad........

I never said you are sad......but it is my opinion.......you can disagree

and have your own opinion too........I was not picking on you.

Hi Tony and Sue:)

I too am married and went on my first solo cruise last fall. It was FANTASTIC and now I have some great cruise buddies. When I told people I was sailing solo I always got 'good for you'. Okay, good for me it is.

Husband enjoys fishing and hunting more than cruising...me, not so much. We still go on vacations together but I do some solo or with friends cruising now. He goes on his fishing trips too. I think it is healthy for us. Absence does make the heart grow fonder. :D

I had a health scare recently and one of the things I was thankful for is that I did make that leap and go. Now, thanks to the Lord, I am healthy and I am cruising with my new cruise buddies. Life is good.

Go for it and no worries what everyone else thinks. HAVE FUN!!!!!!

• 4 months later...

Hello I am recently widowed 3 months..............my husband and I crusied many times for many years..........when he became ill that stopped.........just the other day I thought I want to cruise again, make a solo trip to sit on the balcony and raise a glass to the love of my life and watch the sunset and remember the fun....and also to do what I want when I want to do it..............so I booked a easy cruise close to me and to get my feet wet again so to speak .............and plan on having a wonderful time............I missed cruising and while he was ill we talked of all our cruises and passed our time with all the photos.........he was always saying you loved cruising so please get back into it when I'm gone.........so in September I will.............thank you for this thread .............you are good people !!!!!

Hello I am recently widowed 3 months..............my husband and I crusied many times for many years..........when he became ill that stopped.........just the other day I thought I want to cruise again, make a solo trip to sit on the balcony and raise a glass to the love of my life and watch the sunset and remember the fun....and also to do what I want when I want to do it..............so I booked a easy cruise close to me and to get my feet wet again so to speak .............and plan on having a wonderful time............I missed cruising and while he was ill we talked of all our cruises and passed our time with all the photos.........he was always saying you loved cruising so please get back into it when I'm gone.........so in September I will.............thank you for this thread .............you are good people !!!!!

Wonderful! So happy for you. Even if you have a few sad moments it's all part of the beautiful journey of life. It's so heathy that you are taking time to be kind to yourself. Big hugs from Michigan :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I love this thread! I divorced a year ago. My ex and I always loved cruising together. However, my boyfriend does not love the idea of cruising. I couldn't stand the thought of life without cruises, so I booked a solo cruise. Although I'm mid-40's, my parents seriously disapprove. I've gotten every imaginable rude comment. I am a little afraid to cruise by myself, but I refuse to die waiting to go on a cruise with someone else. Besides, I love the idea of doing what I want to do....for the first time ever. As I'm a teacher, I've gotten "How can you afford to do that?" I do scrimp and save every single month. I am on a budget. I do have to choose the cheapest cruise possible. But it is SO worth it because cruising is my favorite vacation. Thanks for all of your inspiring stories! I am looking forward to my first solo cruise!

I love this thread! I divorced a year ago. My ex and I always loved cruising together. However, my boyfriend does not love the idea of cruising. I couldn't stand the thought of life without cruises, so I booked a solo cruise. Although I'm mid-40's, my parents seriously disapprove. I've gotten every imaginable rude comment. I am a little afraid to cruise by myself, but I refuse to die waiting to go on a cruise with someone else. Besides, I love the idea of doing what I want to do....for the first time ever. As I'm a teacher, I've gotten "How can you afford to do that?" I do scrimp and save every single month. I am on a budget. I do have to choose the cheapest cruise possible. But it is SO worth it because cruising is my favorite vacation. Thanks for all of your inspiring stories! I am looking forward to my first solo cruise!

You're going to be just fine! I've been on a few solo cruises and many land vacations by myself. My next cruise is to Alaska and since I booked a balcony and already paid for a second passengers, I decided to gift a dear friend who's going through a rough divorce and take her with me. I'd be dishonest if I said I haven't had second thoughts a few times since I invited her! LOL. That's how much I love cruising solo. As long as you're open to it (people can tell) fellow passengers will strike up conversations with you and there are also the solo meet-ups where you'll find people to have dinner with it if you don't want to dine alone. Also, be sure to check out your roll call and if there's a meet and greet, you'll meet other Cruise Critic members on board.

Few of my friends have called me brave (it's usually strangers) because my friends know how much I love to cruise and how independent I am. :D