Insurance

LA_CA_GAL

I would be interested in others' opinions, as I, a horrible meanspirited person is of the opinion that if you do not purchase insurance and have to cancel, no matter what the circumstances, you are not entitled to a refund.

I wholeheartedly predict that the consensus will be that skipping insurance is a gamble which one is 100% responsible for the consequences of should they have to cancel or disembark early due to illness or emergency.

Someone starting a thread asking if the cruise line will bend the rules just for them is usually responded to with derision. I saw the thread you are referring to on the Celebrity board and I absolutely agree that the OP was way out of line calling you "mean spirited" just for pointing this out. (Plus all the Celebrity cheerleaders actually encouraging the OP to call with their sob story and hope for such an exception. Mind-boggling)

[ETA: just noticed the rude post directed at LA_CA_GAL in that other thread was deleted by our hosts. Hope they gave that person a guideline reminder as well..]

Edited by fishywood

I would absolutely agree with you. If you choose not to purchase insurance, then if you must cancel, you must be able to absorb the loss in full.

That being said, too often we see reports of people contacting the cruise line and getting an exception, whether it's a partial/total refund or the ability to move their money to another date. So, when people suggest calling and asking, it's because the cruise lines have been inconsistent in their policies. People run to the media and complain, then it gets into the news and the lines feel pressured to do something to ward off bad publicity.

So, is it wrong to ask for a waiver of policy? No. But when you don't get it, don't complain about the mean, awful company not helping you out in your time of need. We are all grown ups and need to take responsibility for our own choices (buying or not buying insurance) and the outcome of those choices.

ETA: I work as a TA part time. I cannot tell you how often my clients choose to decline insurance. I have a family travelling with a young son. They were doing a repositioning cruise, a couple of days at the new location, then flying home. Kid often gets sick, and the wife has had some ongoing sinus issues. I priced out insurance and husband wanted to forgo it, saying "they were spending enough money" and things were tight. I sent a strongly worded email outlining the problem I had with that decision, and stated that if he chose not to buy the insurance, I would, as a gift to them, purchase enough to cover medical for all of them (a minimum amount of trip coverage also covers full medical). I stressed that if they had to cancel, they would not get any of their costs back, but if someone got sick on the cruise and required some sort of medical care (and, heaven forbid, medical evac), they would be covered.

He purchased the full policy.

I can tell you that if he hadn't and they had to cancel, I would be on the receiving end of "why won't the cruise line help us?" type questions.

Edited by njmomof2

I wholeheartedly predict that the consensus will be that skipping insurance is a gamble which one is 100% responsible for the consequences of should they have to cancel or disembark early due to illness or emergency.

Someone starting a thread asking if the cruise line will bend the rules just for them is usually responded to with derision. I saw the thread you are referring to on the Celebrity board and I absolutely agree that the OP was way out of line calling you "mean spirited" just for pointing this out. (Plus all the Celebrity cheerleaders actually encouraging the OP to call with their sob story and hope for such an exception. Mind-boggling)

[ETA: just noticed the rude post directed at LA_CA_GAL in that other thread was deleted by our hosts. Hope they gave that person a guideline reminder as well..]

My point is that I purchased the insurance for every cruise I have ever taken. Never had to use it.

I find it somewhat offensive that some posters believe that if you don't have insurance, and you have to cancel, the cruise line should be "compassionate".

That being the case, would the cruise line be compassionate if I called and asked them to refund all of the money I have spent on insurance and never needed it? Especially if they are giving refunds to those that never purchase it.

No, you aren't entitled to a refund but I'm not going to lose any sleep over cruise lines exercising their discretion and giving refunds in certain situations. I'll still buy insurance because I'd rather know that I'm covered rather than having to rely on a cruise line's compassion.

I agree with you also. Why people think that they should be the exception to the rule is ridiculous. If I don't insure my car I'm not going to be paid by the manufacturer so why should I expect the cruiseline to reimburse my loss when I have the opportunity to purchase insurance and don't.

Don't buy cancellation insurance, and have to cancel on the cruise?

You lose your money. End of story.

Don't buy medical and evacuation insurance and you trip on a cobblestone and break your arm? You get to pay for all of your own medical costs, lodging costs, plus the airline change fees to get back home. End of story.

We all decide what level of financial risk we are willing to take. I, personally, am willing to eat the cost of the cruise if I have to cancel it. I am not willing to eat the enormous expense if I slip off of a rock in northern Greenland and have to be airlifted out to the nearest place with a hospital.

The cost for medical and medical evac insurance for the Canadian Arctic / Greenland cruise was $150. Compared to the cost of the cruise itself, that price was so insignificant I didn't even think twice about buying it.

I would be interested in others' opinions, as I, a horrible meanspirited person is of the opinion that if you do not purchase insurance and have to cancel, no matter what the circumstances, you are not entitled to a refund.

True! Also, if you have a medical emergency and must be hospitalized that can cost you thousands of dollars since most medical insurance do not pay out of USA, including shipboard medical.

True! Also, if you have a medical emergency and must be hospitalized that can cost you thousands of dollars since most medical insurance do not pay out of USA, including shipboard medical.

Of course, even with medical coverage, you still have to pay for any medical expenses up front, and file for reimbursement once back home.

I learned my lesson before the very first cruise. Everything went well, got a nice cabin, was doing ports research... then got so sick, the doctor didn't want me to go on the cruise.

I knew I was feeling better only the day before the cruise, and decided to be brave. Medications started working, but I was still weak, did not enjoy the cruise as much, couldn't drink, needed a mid-day nap...

So when I broke a foot a few years later, I was prepared. All I'd lost was a small deductible.

Of course, even with medical coverage, you still have to pay for any medical expenses up front, and file for reimbursement once back home.

Not necessarily. My travel insurance is primary and makes an advance payment to the medical institution so that I can be admitted. Steve at tripinsurancestore.com can explain the difference between various insurance suppliers and their coverages.

Otherwise you better have a credit card with a very high limit. :eek:

No , I do not think they need to offer anything to people who refuse to get insurance and then have a problem. I have gotten insurance for all but a few of my cruises and I have had to use it six times . Twice in this year alone . So if you want to self insure then self insure and do not whine when things go wrong .

It is pathetic how people feel they are entitled to "compassion" after making a business decision which did not pan out. As a practical matter,, I have never purchased appliance repair insurance,- nor trip cancellation insurance. Early on, I figured that, unless I were singularly unlucky, it was better to self-insure. After all, insurance companies are profitable because they charge more in premiums than their total payments to cover losses. Accordingly, the average person should have comparable long term experience.

This approach, of course, only applies to losses which you cannot afford, so medical evacuation insurance is an essential. I could not afford to pay for evacuation and transport home, so it is a risk I cannot accept. I can, however, afford to lose a cruise for which I have already paid.

Fortunately, I have never lost such a cruise - nor have I have ever regretted not having purchased appliance repair insurance: at this point I naturally hope that I do not incur such an (affordable) uninsured loss - but I surely hope that, even though I might be tempted to plead for "compassion", I would never complain at its being denied.

I got the best deal ever last year. We were scheduled to sail on NCL Jade last November and 3 three weeks before the cruise my dear wife fell and fractured a vertebrae. Had back surgery where they had to remove a rib and spent 4 months in a brace. We got most of the money back except for a booking fee and the online TA kept $100 that we got back by booking again within the year.

We are now booked for the Liberty of the Seas 10/30. Ginger D is on the mend and has been packed for a week now. You can bet your sweet bippy that we have trip insurance.

It is pathetic how people feel they are entitled to "compassion" after making a business decision which did not pan out. As a practical matter,, I have never purchased appliance repair insurance,- nor trip cancellation insurance. Early on, I figured that, unless I were singularly unlucky, it was better to self-insure. After all, insurance companies are profitable because they charge more in premiums than their total payments to cover losses. Accordingly, the average person should have comparable long term experience.

This approach, of course, only applies to losses which you cannot afford, so medical evacuation insurance is an essential. I could not afford to pay for evacuation and transport home, so it is a risk I cannot accept. I can, however, afford to lose a cruise for which I have already paid.

Fortunately, I have never lost such a cruise - nor have I have ever regretted not having purchased appliance repair insurance: at this point I naturally hope that I do not incur such an (affordable) uninsured loss - but I surely hope that, even though I might be tempted to plead for "compassion", I would never complain at its being denied.

I am a self insurer also and agree with nbt. But if I ever did sustain a loss I definitely would speak to the cruise line or airline and see if they would do something outside of what their written policy was.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained! What's the worst they could do? Say no?