Do you prefer the Western of Eastern Caribbean Cruise?

sweets2323

I always thought the eastern cruise was better. The islands seem to be so much more exotic, however, I maybe wrong.

When I see the western Caribbean ports. Like Belize, Jamaica, Cancun, Honduras I think it may not be as much.

I have family in Jamaica and Cayman, I also think because I can visit those places, why cruise there.

I Flew to Cancun but I have never visited Cozumel.

I feel like I may be missing out and I should just give the western a try.

I always thought the eastern cruise was better. The islands seem to be so much more exotic, however, I maybe wrong.

When I see the western Caribbean ports. Like Belize, Jamaica, Cancun, Honduras I think it may not be as much.

I have family in Jamaica and Cayman, I also think because I can visit those places, why cruise there.

We've done both Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries (as well as Southern). Both Eastern and Western have places that we look forward to seeing again, as well as a few that we're in no big hurry to go back to. I suspect there are many that feel the same way. If you're thinking about a Western Caribbean cruise, take a look at the itineraries offered, and choose the one that interests you the most. Even if the itinerary includes some place that you've been to multiple times, such as Jamaica or Grand Cayman, there's no rule that says you have to get off of the ship. Some people don't, opting to take advantage of on board amenities while most others are in port.

It's a great question and one that I won't be able to personally answer until next year. I am looking forward to everyone's responses. (And I'm looking forward to the W. Caribbean if only because I have never sailed in that part of the world before.)

If you have never been on the western itinerary, why not give it a try? If you are familiar with certain areas and can visit those isles anytime, why not expand your horizons.

The worst that can happen is that you won't like the ports, but at least you'll know. If you don't go, there's always that woulda, coulda, shoulda question nagging you.

I view travel as going beyond my personal space and borders, and challenge myself to learn something new each cruise. Whether it's a new activity or excursion, language, custom or food, I can only enrich myself through new and different places and peoples to see.

I'll be off to visit Australia, New Zealand and the Cook Islands this northern hemisphere NY winter, just because I haven't been there yet and always wanted to go. I got to cross off Tahiti and Hawaii some time back, as well as checking off Med and Alaskan cruises. Maybe an African safari on the horizon? Or a Norwegian Fiord cruise to see the Northern Lights?

Edited by evandbob

We prefer to try new ports...we have cruised both eastern and western enough that we have "been there done that." Our next cruise gives us Amber Cove, the one after is a quick get away from our home port on our favorite ship so the ports are irrelevant, and the one farthest out is from a new port for us - NOLA to a new port, Progrrsso.

But if I was talking to a shopper or beach person, I recommend eastern with St Thomas, St Marteen, Grand Turk and HMC.

I find western to be far more exotic with the Mayan and Spanish cultures. Roatan is beautiful and mountainous but developed than St Thomas. It's our favorite port with excellent shore snorkeling and great animal excursions. Belize is great for snorkeling, cave tubing or ruins. Cozumel is a great beach day or again more cultural options. And if you have a shopper along, Grand Cayman fits that bill but also has 7 mile beach, hell, turtle farm and sting rays. It just seems to me that western offers a greater variety of ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Skip both and head to Polynesia.

Hi all!

Either one is a lovely escape from a northern winter!;)Not being a beach person or shopper I tend to favour the western option for the culture & more exotic feel to it. No matter how many times I've been to Cozumel I always find something new to do there.

Give the western a try, if you don't like it as much go back to eastern or southern the next time.

~ Jo ~ :)

We have done Eastern, Western, and Southern itineraries. Eastern and Southern are more about beaches and water activities. The Western routes offer beaches as well, but also the opportunity to visit the fascinating ancient Mayan ruins such as Chichen Itza, Tulum, Kohunlich, Lamanai, Uxmal, and more.

Edited by JimAOk1945

Done both several times. Hate Costa Maya which is a made up port.

We prefer Eastern as they most often include the private islands for a beach day without the hassle. Eastern can be more rocky as you are facing the wide Atlantic, but it is a ship after all and we like some motion.

Edited by cruzincurt

I prefer eastern over western. I especially will try to avoid a cruise to Jamaica. (Our last time there was on a Panama Canal cruise--unavoidable on that itinerary--and we stayed on the ship.)

That said, I'm really looking forward to our upcoming cruise to the southern Caribbean--two beautiful days at sea on the way to Curacao and two more on the way back from Bonaire.