Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

2 hours ago, kearney said:

Actually, from what I read the windows can be closed from the bridge if weather conditions are such. Also if you touch the window or area near the railing the window stops moving... to prevent injury. Now I don't know what happens if captain raises window while a passenger is leaning out... but I suspect it won't go up for the same reason.

This is not the problem that I was trying to bring up...

If there is a malfunction of the motor-driven mechanism of closing the sash, then no matter how strict the captain is, the window will not close, since it is broken.

Apart of that, I personally doubt that such option (captain closes all sashes simultaneously) will be available, because - as you said - there could be arms and heads on the way, and even if this emergency closing is accompanied by siren etc., I bet there will be folks who will stick inadvertently their limbs in there 😂

We will know the procedure shortly, once the cadets who are scheduled to board first will tell the rest as to how it works. Oh, and I also doubt that there are sensors of sort that stop the sash of going up if there is the head on the way :classic_blush: - not that it is technically impossible, it is just not economical to have this system installed in all IV rooms...

But time will tell )))

10 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Also the wee penguin, and Lloyd's puppy 😊  Following all that exertion, they should probably check out both the Eden and Sunset bars to be certain everything is still running smoothly wink,wink, nudge, nudge, say no more....

I think they have renamed her "Noah's Ark."

image.thumb.png.cdf665be8f812e1531f1edaddc147edf.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, marylander2 said:

This is not the problem that I was trying to bring up...

If there is a malfunction of the motor-driven mechanism of closing the sash, then no matter how strict the captain is, the window will not close, since it is broken.

Apart of that, I personally doubt that such option (captain closes all sashes simultaneously) will be available, because - as you said - there could be arms and heads on the way, and even if this emergency closing is accompanied by siren etc., I bet there will be folks who will stick inadvertently their limbs in there 😂

We will know the procedure shortly, once the cadets who are scheduled to board first will tell the rest as to how it works. Oh, and I also doubt that there are sensors of sort that stop the sash of going up if there is the head on the way :classic_blush: - not that it is technically impossible, it is just not economical to have this system installed in all IV rooms...

But time will tell )))

Since they keep extra shower doors aboard S-class ships (and I know three people who've had broken shower doors replaced very swiftly), I can't imagine they wouldn't stock plenty of redundant parts for the IV's, including motors. I will be in an IV on Edge's first TA with passengers, so I guess I'll have ample time (15 nights) to find out if my faith in Celebrity's logistics & maintenance teams is misguided😉

1 hour ago, beachbunny6 said:

Esprit, the next time you communicate with Valentina and your SIL, please let them know that we are all concerned about how things are going for them out there on the high seas (literally!) and ask her how Mr. Edge is doing out there on the Atlantic?  I bet there are lots of us who are concerned for their well-being.  And maybe she can find out where our unofficial mascot will reside permanently.  

Hi Beachbunny6

Hopefully I will hear from them when they reach Ponta Delgada tomorrow. I will certainly convey the concerns and see if I can find out more about the infamous horse and the stowaway bear!

Peter

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Naughty&Nautical said:

This is some typical cruise critic. S-class! 🤣  Are you serious? Apparently you’re not seeing the photos others have viewed.

🚢👍🏻🌴 you should probably try &keep your comments on the positive side unless you have something nice to say. If that is possible. 

🤷‍♂️Good luck & happy sailing

There is a reason that this site is called Cruise Critic; people share opinions about cruising both positive and negative. I’ll kindly ask you not to dictate to me how I should be posting on this board.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Since they keep extra shower doors aboard S-class ships (and I know three people who've had broken shower doors replaced very swiftly), I can't imagine they wouldn't stock plenty of redundant parts for the IV's, including motors. I will be in an IV on Edge's first TA with passengers, so I guess I'll have ample time (15 nights) to find out if my faith in Celebrity's logistics & maintenance teams is misguided😉

LOL or react to your maintenance requests!

bon voyage

I have often thought the name encourages negative comments although of course criticism can also be positive. 

I just wanted people to try to hold off negative criticism until we are able to see the finished product. Not dictating just politely requesting. If you cant hold back just go ahead!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tony UK said:

I have often thought the name encourages negative comments although of course criticism can also be positive. 

I just wanted people to try to hold off negative criticism until we are able to see the finished product. Not dictating just politely requesting. If you cant hold back just go ahead!

Hear hear. It’s all guess work so far. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

I am absolutely certain that they do keep spare parts to fix those! But the sash panels are not your shower doors, and do not forget that any replacement of malfunctioned motor or slider or rope etc. in the mechanism of the panel will be essentially dealt with not immediately ("swiftly" in your answer may mean anything between 5 to 15 mins, right? :)), and will get fixed not in a matter of 5 mins.

Have you ever tried to step out on your balcony when the ship is on the rough seas? 🙂 I do that every now and then, just to enjoy the feeling of safety and comfort when return back to the cabin... But one thing is the balcony, and another - IV sliding panel. It will be wind and water sprays and (possibly) rain etc. literally inside your room for those 5-15 mins of "swift" repair LOLOL

I hate to sound paranoid, but - again - I asked this question several times, and aside of "oh, do not worry, they have plenty of spares and will replace it fast" answers no one so far had responded technically sound )))

(Please do not get upset, no pun intended, I am just curious how the crew will handle situations like this, that's all - and I figured that they should have a manual lever of sort to close it, to repair AFTER, in the next port... this is all I wanted to find out)

Lastly, in terms of the captain closing the sashes from the bridge, I believe this is just not a sound solution. Pretty much all of the cruise ships have the sliding balcony doors, and no one had actually installed the emergency system that closes them automatically due to an inclement weather conditions. Heck, on this very Edge there  still will be plenty of sliding balcony doors - what about those? Would the captain also close and lock those from the bridge?

(I will bring with me a ratcheting wrench set, just in case ahahahaha) 

33 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Hi Beachbunny6

Hopefully I will hear from them when they reach Ponta Delgada tomorrow. I will certainly convey the concerns and see if I can find out more about the infamous horse and the stowaway bear!

Peter

Peter, please don’t forget the wee penguin & Lloyd’s puppy. Several of us believe the menagerie is together, and have embarked on a sequential bar crawl. And who says animals are less smart than humans? Not I🤣 

Cheers,

Michelle 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, marylander2 said:

I am absolutely certain that they do keep spare parts to fix those! But the sash panels are not your shower doors, and do not forget that any replacement of malfunctioned motor or slider or rope etc. in the mechanism of the panel will be essentially dealt with not immediately ("swiftly" in your answer may mean anything between 5 to 15 mins, right? :)), and will get fixed not in a matter of 5 mins.

Have you ever tried to step out on your balcony when the ship is on the rough seas? 🙂 I do that every now and then, just to enjoy the feeling of safety and comfort when return back to the cabin... But one thing is the balcony, and another - IV sliding panel. It will be wind and water sprays and (possibly) rain etc. literally inside your room for those 5-15 mins of "swift" repair LOLOL

I hate to sound paranoid, but - again - I asked this question several times, and aside of "oh, do not worry, they have plenty of spares and will replace it fast" answers no one so far had responded technically sound )))

(Please do not get upset, no pun intended, I am just curious how the crew will handle situations like this, that's all - and I figured that they should have a manual lever of sort to close it, to repair AFTER, in the next port... this is all I wanted to find out)

Lastly, in terms of the captain closing the sashes from the bridge, I believe this is just not a sound solution. Pretty much all of the cruise ships have the sliding balcony doors, and no one had actually installed the emergency system that closes them automatically due to an inclement weather conditions. Heck, on this very Edge there  still will be plenty of sliding balcony doors - what about those? Would the captain also close and lock those from the bridge?

(I will bring with me a ratcheting wrench set, just in case ahahahaha) 

I do see your points, and I discussed some of these issues with my DH before booking our IV. Unless a qualified person (who has experience installing & repairing these windows) posts on this thread, we’re simply going to continue speculating. The technology isn’t new (having been used on river boats for several years) but it’s true that river and sea vessels are subject to different environmental stressors.

Yes, I have stepped onto my Veranda during rough seas, though I wouldn’t have risked it if I’d been on a low deck😉 While I certainly wouldn’t want to live with a perpetually open IV, I also wouldn’t want to be stuck with an IV that had to remain closed until the next port. On a TA, that could be up to eight days. I’m paying for a Veranda cabin, with a functioning window, not what is effectively an Ocean View cabin. I’m sure we’ll know a lot more after reviews of the first few sailings, right VT?😁

IMO, Celebrity does want us to be happy, and they’ve invested a great deal of money planning, building, and marketing this new ship class. I know that Celebrity employees monitor these forums. They surely realize that they cannot afford major issues during Edge’s initial season, and they must know some of us will post reviews for each sailing (and one of them will be written by me). 

OMG don’t give my DH (an engineer) any ideas😱 I may catch him casting my shoes out of our bags, to make room for his tools😂

Edited by Silkroad

What's made me more excited about the ship is the banter over the last 48 hours  -- thank you everyone for the laughs!

The last time I remember this excitement re a new ship and such banter among CC members was when Silhouette was 'born'. Look what a stunner she has turned out to be.

I do have my concerns re some parts of the ship - mainly my IV cabin and balcony area - but have now decided that so many parts of the ship look amazing and we will go and enjoy our cruise. Will it be perfect? No. Will there be faults? Yes. Will we have a great time? You bet !

If bored will go off looking for the horse, the polar bear, the penguin and the puppy !!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I don't know what that is, but it isn't the panelling from the Normandie restaurant on Summit:

P1010602.jpg

Another mystery to be solved????

Normandie and the newer panels are beautiful as presented. Can,t wait.

Some of the memorabilia from the grand  specialty restaurants  are still on M and S  Class in hallways and vestibules (as they are phasing out) but the panels???

24 minutes ago, cruise47 said:

I do not understand why people are so negative. When no cruise passenger have actual sail The Edge.

Same^

I have been very surprised reading through these threads.  To me, the ship looks amazing and I feel very fortunate to be able to board it in the future.  ChicagoPaul has some good advice in his thread on the main board for those that are getting upset 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MVPinBoynton said:

I agree with you.  Here is a different view of the Summit paneling without people in front of it.  It has definitely been cut up to make it look different.

CanNE_Ship_IMG_7102.jpg.f19e6fcbd45c6dce07dd323af5d7b68e.jpg

That would be terriblly selfish and disrespectful  to destroy  someone else's art ... if the same.  Like turning an antique urn into a modern  hula lamp.

• Like 1