Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

.... She will definitely stand out.

Yes, she certainly will stand out. With all her asymmetrical aspects, that Dick Tracy chin looking bow, those odd paint lines, the huge over sized funnel, and that garishly colored box hanging off her side, she will stand out much like Norwegian Epic stands out.

She is not an elegant looking ship at all. Very disappointing. A major departure from Celebrity's direction over the last two decades.

Oh my, Celebrity has long lost it´s touch- this ship will not change that. I like the look of it though. If I ever set sail on her- I dout it- no prommenade deck - all is cramped together on the upper decks- as with Solstice class of ships. Beautyfull ships they are- but I will alway prefer the Milli - class!

I am in the minority though- people seem no longer just love to sit there an watch the sea go bye and read a good book- on THE PROMMENADE DECK! Since that kind of people seem to have turned to Cunard- I followed suit! LOL.

I am in the minority though- people seem no longer just love to sit there an watch the sea go bye and read a good book- on THE PROMMENADE DECK! Since that kind of people seem to have turned to Cunard- I followed suit! LOL.

I’m with you. I want more open outdoor views to the sea, not less. I’m primarily a warm weather cruiser and love out door venues up top and on the Promenade area. I like the older designs that had an open Promenade deck for walking sitting and whatever. Newer RCCL designed ships have lifeboats blocking what is prime real estate for cruising. Some new cruise ships are hearing our pleas. The NCL Breakaway Class and the MSC Seaside class come to mind. It’s for that reason we are taking our first NCL Cruise in Feb 2019 on the Bliss.

I wish RCCL (RCI and X) would follow suit. As for the Edge I guess I’ll take the tact that it’s what’s on the inside that counts. I’m intrigued with the new out door venues but not really caring for the new ship design...yet. We will sail on her at some point so maybe I’ll change my mind then.

Cheers

Tom

Not a fan of the off balance angles of the general design...or the big orange MC. They could have launched bigger tenders without it protruding off the side of the ship. ( bet cabins on its pathway will eventually be discounted!)

Too many offbeat design features for our traditional taste, but we will judge by the Solarium, spa and the decks that have a sea view! And of course, our so called InfInite balcony, which we hope will be a balcony with good views

While we are looking forward to a new experience on board..we have nothing booked beyond EDGE,

Thanks, Lloyd! I wish I had been there to explore the model. :D

It was nice to see some of the port side and a bit of the aft. I got a better sense of the views of the aft balconies from above. I am glad that I didn't book the 12th deck - it may be the way the model is positioned, but it looks like a good portion of those balconies might be viewed from the deck above. Time will tell.

Hey Lloyd:

Thanks for posting more photos. While no doubt more ammo for the "nay sayers", my wife and I continue to be impressed! Very much looking forward to our two weeks in just over a year.

Cheers, Murray

Thank you Lloyd for posting updated pics....I would love to see more aft pics...we will be in a sunset veranda for our cruise and I’m anxious to see what she looks like from behind!

I’m looking forward to the Edge and I do like the quirkiness of the design, I like that the Edge is different. When it comes to cruising I’m Sybil, in Europe I like the more traditional ships, choosing Azamara as my number one choice while in the Caribbean I love the more Vegas feel and choose the Celebrity ships....so with that the Edge will fit right in!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hey Lloyd:

Thanks for posting more photos. While no doubt more ammo for the "nay sayers", my wife and I continue to be impressed! Very much looking forward to our two weeks in just over a year.

Cheers, Murray

Murray, you’re not alone! My husband and I feel the same way. I think we are booked on the same cruise. I hope we’ll meet you and your wife at the sail away:cool::cool:.

Cheers, Michelle

Thank you Lloyd for posting updated pics....I would love to see more aft pics...we will be in a sunset veranda for our cruise and I’m anxious to see what she looks like from behind!

I’m looking forward to the Edge and I do like the quirkiness of the design, I like that the Edge is different. When it comes to cruising I’m Sybil, in Europe I like the more traditional ships, choosing Azamara as my number one choice while in the Caribbean I love the more Vegas feel and choose the Celebrity ships....so with that the Edge will fit right in!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

found this one posted earlier today

attachment.php?attachmentid=416034&stc=1&d=1520637849

aft.thumb.jpg.aea7240ac4ba4c631c948b6740cd5eaf.jpg

Murray, you’re not alone! My husband and I feel the same way. I think we are booked on the same cruise. I hope we’ll meet you and your wife at the sail away:cool::cool:.

Cheers, Michelle

Hi Michelle:

Sounds like a plan.... if not another time as we have lots of days to explore!

Cheers, Murray

When did they start cutting steel for the Edge? The Beyond joins the fleet fall of 2020. When do they start cutting steel for her? Or did they already?

The actual steel cutting, I don't know, but the steel cutting ceremony was on November 21 2016.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/with-a-single-cut-of-steel-celebrity-cruises-has-the-edge-300366498.html

The actual steel cutting, I don't know, but the steel cutting ceremony was on November 21 2016.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/with-a-single-cut-of-steel-celebrity-cruises-has-the-edge-300366498.html

OK, I see where my bad phrasing caused some confusion for you & Aroundtheworld1. My question was for "when will they start cutting steel for "Beyond", the 2nd ship of the class? It will be delivered in Spring 2020 (not Fall). I was trying to compare the time it took for Edge's steel cutting to float off & delivery. Assuming the time frame of construction for the 2 ships are the same, it should be soon that the BEYOND ship has it's steel cutting ceremony.

Yes, she certainly will stand out. With all her asymmetrical aspects, that Dick Tracy chin looking bow, those odd paint lines, the huge over sized funnel, and that garishly colored box hanging off her side, she will stand out much like Norwegian Epic stands out.

She is not an elegant looking ship at all. Very disappointing. A major departure from Celebrity's direction over the last two decades.

Sloop- I personally like the design and think she is quite impressive. More so than Epic or any of the Oasis Class behemoths. I am glad we booked her early next year. Can't wait. Have you booked Edge or are you just commenting from the peanut gallery?

Sloop- I personally like the design and think she is quite impressive. More so than Epic or any of the Oasis Class behemoths. I am glad we booked her early next year. Can't wait. Have you booked Edge or are you just commenting from the peanut gallery?

Good thing I don't have peanut allergies since I am indeed "commenting from the peanut gallery". :p

As I said in a previous thread, I have some engineering background and enjoy watching such large machines take form. I have followed the construction of each Solstice class ships, as well as several other recent ship builds. I am always fascinated by the way they construct such behemoths. That is why I am following this particular thread, the only Edge thread I read every day. Although disappointed in certain aspects of Edge, including the enlarged emphasis on exclusive areas for suite passenger, I am still enjoying the photos and details of her construction.

There are areas I do like, such as the decoration of the various restaurants and other common areas we have been shown so far, but there are other areas that I find diverge too far from the Celebrity I have known for many years. At the moment I have no interest in cruising on her. But, who knows, perhaps I will change my mind after she has been active for a while and reviews and reports start coming in that give a broader idea of what she is really made of.