Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

Good thing I don't have peanut allergies since I am indeed "commenting from the peanut gallery". :p

As I said in a previous thread, I have some engineering background and enjoy watching such large machines take form. I have followed the construction of each Solstice class ships, as well as several other recent ship builds. I am always fascinated by the way they construct such behemoths. That is why I am following this particular thread, the only Edge thread I read every day. Although disappointed in certain aspects of Edge, including the enlarged emphasis on exclusive areas for suite passenger, I am still enjoying the photos and details of her construction.

There are areas I do like, such as the decoration of the various restaurants and other common areas we have been shown so far, but there are other areas that I find diverge too far from the Celebrity I have known for many years. At the moment I have no interest in cruising on her. But, who knows, perhaps I will change my mind after she has been active for a while and reviews and reports start coming in that give a broader idea of what she is really made of.

I am sorry, but you sound like you have a major secret and can not reveal. This scares me.

Good thing I don't have peanut allergies since I am indeed "commenting from the peanut gallery". :p

As I said in a previous thread, I have some engineering background and enjoy watching such large machines take form. I have followed the construction of each Solstice class ships, as well as several other recent ship builds. I am always fascinated by the way they construct such behemoths. That is why I am following this particular thread, the only Edge thread I read every day. Although disappointed in certain aspects of Edge, including the enlarged emphasis on exclusive areas for suite passenger, I am still enjoying the photos and details of her construction.

There are areas I do like, such as the decoration of the various restaurants and other common areas we have been shown so far, but there are other areas that I find diverge too far from the Celebrity I have known for many years. At the moment I have no interest in cruising on her. But, who knows, perhaps I will change my mind after she has been active for a while and reviews and reports start coming in that give a broader idea of what she is really made of.

Yes I think many will wait for the final details and initial reviews before deciding. Totally understandable.

Yes I think many will wait for the final details and initial reviews before deciding.

Totally understandable.

We were totally sold on the Eden concept.

Months ago ..booked a Back-2 Back for January 27th - February 3rd, 2019

Infinity Balcony... one of the last available.

(Hoping to let you know of final details.)

Looking forward !

Michael

I am sorry, but you sound like you have a major secret and can not reveal. This scares me.

OK, I give in. You forced me to come clean. I confess that I am really Sir Richard Branson and I am trying to quietly, surreptitiously create doubt in reader's minds about Edge, a direct competitor to my Virgin Voyage's upcoming and yet to be named first ship. My goal is that readers will instead book cruises on my new ships.

BTW: I am thinking of naming my first ship "Eden", and the second "Magic Carpet". :evilsmile:

OK, I give in. You forced me to come clean. I confess that I am really Sir Richard Branson and I am trying to quietly, surreptitiously create doubt in reader's minds about Edge, a direct competitor to my Virgin Voyage's upcoming and yet to be named first ship. My goal is that readers will instead book cruises on my new ships.

BTW: I am thinking of naming my first ship "Eden", and the second "Magic Carpet". :evilsmile:

Good one:')

Why are you sorry? I think you're entitled to your opinion.

Even if it's diametrically opposed to mine.

Ah, you have finally (if inadvertently) revealed your true identity! You are not Richard Branson, you are John Oliver! Or no, wait , maybe Stephen Colbert?!

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Can’t stop laughing- great come back ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey:

I think these type comments are a distraction from what Lloyd555 is doing for us in creating this roll call. Say what you will personally I think we are doing him a disservice as we watch this build. I continue to look forward to additional pics and info with appreciation ... comments notwithstanding. :halo:

Best, Murray

Thanks Lloyd..

They look much more advaced than current models.

I assume these are not going to be used for getting excursion pax to shore but are dedicated emergency craft....,?

There is a mention of tenders in this article

https://www.tu.no/artikler/cruiseskip-med-mobilt-dekk-til-13-etasjer-teknisk-helt-pa-kanten/430675

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Great pix of the lifeboats, Lloyd! In an emergency I would be grateful to be aboard, but if used as tenders they appear to be claustrophobic and quite uncomfortable even for a short duration. For longer tender journeys in choppy seas, such as the 30 minute ride we had in Edinburgh, I forsee queasiness without forward facing seats and no windows.

Could not translate the article you linked, Lloyd- can you summarize. please?

This is how the Edge tenders (or launches) are described on the website:

"Featuring bucket seats, air conditioning, large windows for stunning sea-level views, and more space, Edge Launches are designed to get you to your destination in modern luxury style. Just like Celebrity Edge."

Sounds like they will be a step up from the usual. :D

The lifeboats look pretty nice too. Thanks for the pictures.

A version of the Edge-class Palfinger Marine Safety MPC 49 lifeboat.

4b70aaff04e39c02c25b023fcb3160e0.jpg

This picture reminds me of public toilets in Ancient Rome and Greece [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No back support? Let's hope Celebrity succeeds in their attempts to lower the average passenger age!

I have never seen a lifeboat used solely for emergency evacuations with back support. That would hinder evacuation times, and potentially use up valuable space needed to pack as many people as possible in order to get theme off a ship as quickly as possible.

However, the tender lifeboats, those that are used to ferry passengers to shore, do have back support. They are an entirely different boat design, with dual purposes, mainly for use as a tender, but also as an emergency evacuation vessel in emergencies. Some of these tenders even have a deck on top for people to enjoy open vistas, You could even call them "excursion decks". Emergency lifeboats do not have excursion decks. ;)

Final rendering

9d1cc4e6e4f6eb4ee43d057051a978ce.jpg1fec378c542a4f93462dc56ec5adbbb9.jpg8d7101e7a7de39103f18bb532642e94f.jpgSent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

First view of the life boats. [emoji12]

5190d13aebe43ceef82f7a8b9fd2a865.jpgc1ab6f99dcb8915a8c36dfddb7689e76.jpg

I think these photos posted by Lloyd a few pages back show the difference between what seem to be Tenders and Lifeboats.

Thanks - I can see the difference between them now. I didn't notice that before.

You are welcome. I think they will look very nice.

Norwegian Cruise Line typically use their own tenders while in a tender port. I recall seeing them being used on Norwegian Escape while in Grand Cayman during our MSC Seaside cruise. I posted some pictures of them in my review and I will try to find and post here just for comparison.