Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

Sorry what is the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8d7101e7a7de39103f18bb532642e94f.jpg

I think the furthest boat to the left looks like a lifeboat and the one to the right of it is different and looks like one of the launches (tender). The info said that the launches will have big windows so I think that is a launch?

8d7101e7a7de39103f18bb532642e94f.jpg

I think the furthest boat to the left looks like a lifeboat and the one to the right of it is different and looks like one of the launches (tender). The info said that the launches will have big windows so I think that is a launch?

Yes that is correct. From this picture above and the other that shows all six on the starboard side, I would say the first and last boats look like Lifeboats and the rest, 2, 3, 4 and 5 look like tender launches.

X

Charles, it’s been discussed above - these are life boats

Thank you. Unfortunately the discussion occurred after my post. I did not realize there would be a difference.

Charles

Thank you. Unfortunately the discussion occurred after my post. I did not realize there would be a difference.

Charles

Charles, it is all over the place - I am just glad it is not only me (being blond and all!) is confused :)

The lifeboats look like they have inadequate space for the crew to work docking and undocking vs the ferry looking boats that have more docking friendly outside platforms. The lifeboats are shaped so that in severe weather the will right themselves.

Agree that seatbacks don't belong in pure lifeboats.

I found this on the Edge FAQs sheet about the tenders (launches) - interestingly in the seating part they mention a difference if being used as a lifeboat, so maybe they can use these as lifeboats as well (my bold).

"Edge Launches ensure guests experience modern luxury every step of the way – right up to their first step ashore. The newly designed Launches on Celebrity Edge are designed with overall safety and guest comfort at the top of mind through improved reliability and survivability, notably increased comfort, and efficient boarding. The ship-to- shore experience is improved by the spacious, stylish and comfortable yacht-like atmosphere of the new boats, which will bring guests ashore in comfort, style, and speed.

When anchored, the Magic Carpet hovers just above the waterline for the best ship-to-shore experience at sea; guests will find themselves smoothly whisked onto Celebrity’s new, reimagined Edge Launches with ease.

DESIGNED BY

The spacious Celebrity Launches were designed by French yacht designer Marc Lombard and lifeboat manufacturer Palfinger Marine Safety AS.

FAST FACTS/FEATURES

• Total Number of Celebrity Launches on Celebrity Edge: 8

• Celebrity Launch Cabin Area: 829 sq. ft.

• Celebrity Launch Total Length: 57 ft.

• Celebrity Launch Beam: 19 ft.

• Celebrity Launch Total Weight: 26/36 tons (equipped/loaded)

• Seating Capacity: 223/132 guests (lifeboat/launch)

• Maximum Cruising Speed: 15 knots

• Window Area: 398 sq. ft. – more than double compared to standard tenders on Celebrity Equinox

• Seat Pitch: 32 in – 20% more space compared to standard tenders on Celebrity Equinox

enhance

Edited by vtcruising

No back support? Let's hope Celebrity succeeds in their attempts to lower the average passenger age!

Seems that's the way they are heading. Making it all Royal type ships. Oh well, moving onward and hopefully upward.

Seems that's the way they are heading. Making it all Royal type ships. Oh well, moving onward and hopefully upward.

I can't quite agree with that one. I don't think Celebrity ships are like Royal at all. In some cases they may share a similar footprint but I think that is where the similarities end. I really like Royal Caribbean, but their ships a truly floating amusement parks with features that kids love. Water parks, ice skating rinks, flow riders, rock climbing walls, simulated sky diving, miniature golf, slides, etc. Celebrity ships offer none of that. The atmosphere onboard is much more low key and far less frenetic.

With EDGE, I think Celebrity is bucking the current trend of going bigger and bigger and they actually went slightly smaller (in dimensions and capacity). Also in many respects I feel Celebrity is going back to their roots with EDGE, with a primary focus of elevating the culinary experience. Cuisine is essentially what put Celebrity on the map to begin with, and it's refreshing to see a renewed emphasis on it.

I have high hopes for EDGE, and I wish to see it take Celebrity to the next level. If that means a slightly younger demographic, one that is more interested in an elevated culinary experience than the steepest slide at sea, I'm good with that.

It will be interesting to see, down the road, when Edge Class ships venture into some more challenging tender ports, how this magic carpet platform performs. We were at Easter Island and when the tender platform was deployed, the wave action was such that the standard type of platform was bobbing in and out of the water as the ship rocked side to side. About two feet of water started flooding into the hull from the access hatch.. Needless to say , tendering was abandoned. Maybe the ship has a more standard tendering access mechanism too?

I found this on the Edge FAQs sheet about the tenders (launches) - interestingly in the seating part they mention a difference if being used as a lifeboat, so maybe they can use these as lifeboats as well (my bold).

Yes, of course, all tender boats are life boats too. And yes, they squeeze in more people when used as a life boat. Have you ever looked inside a life boats? In some you will find "dots" for sitting and your feet. In some life boats you sit in two levels (like on the Oasis class ships).

steamboats

Yes, of course, all tender boats are life boats too. And yes, they squeeze in more people when used as a life boat. Have you ever looked inside a life boats? In some you will find "dots" for sitting and your feet. In some life boats you sit in two levels (like on the Oasis class ships).

steamboats

That's what I though originally, but these tenders reportedly have bucket seats and others on this thread have said that seats with backs might not be optimal for lifeboats, hence I left it as a question. :)

Maybe the suites get the bucket seats? ;)

That's what I though originally, but these tenders reportedly have bucket seats and others on this thread have said that seats with backs might not be optimal for lifeboats, hence I left it as a question. :)

Maybe the suites get the bucket seats? ;)

The buckets seats will be on the top shelf in the stateroom closet.

bbd4d2e8655c8cb3fe29a29b881d4df6.jpg

Yes, that´s what you got in every tender boat... which doubles up as life boat.

The insides might get the "seats" on the floor ;)!

steamboats

steamboats

I thought that those black dots are actually holes and they have a bucket under, just in case :p(sorry, couldn't resist)

I think its the other way around. Quantum class reminds me an awful lot of a larger scale version of Celebrity’s Solstice class.

Fact for you - Quantum class was originally meant to be for Celebrity which is why the ship build is similar to Solstice.

It will be interesting to see, down the road, when Edge Class ships venture into some more challenging tender ports, how this magic carpet platform performs. We were at Easter Island and when the tender platform was deployed, the wave action was such that the standard type of platform was bobbing in and out of the water as the ship rocked side to side. About two feet of water started flooding into the hull from the access hatch.. Needless to say , tendering was abandoned. Maybe the ship has a more standard tendering access mechanism too?

I wonder if the magic carpet will be used to board the ship when it's tied up to the pier?

I wonder if the magic carpet will be used to board the ship when it's tied up to the pier?

No. It is intended for tendering only. To dock at a pier, the ship must be securely tied up to it with several lines so it will not move when people transition from the ship to shore. The Magic Carpet is not strong enough, and much too small, to support the forces of the contact between the ship and pier. To counter the effects of wind, currents and tides, many ropes are used to tie a ship to a pier so it won't move around and slam the hull against the pier and potentially causing damage to the ship, pier or both. These lines are adjusted throughout the day to keep the ship tight against the pier. If the Magic Carpet were in lowered position, it would get crushed by those forces.

Also, the Magic Carpet is close to water level in order to easily enter the tender boats. Most piers are taller and many feet above water level, so the Magic Carpet would be too low to be useful. With the tides changing several times per day (some places can be as much as 30 feet or more), the position of the ship changes. At low tide, the ship will sit low on the pier. At high tide, the ship will sit higher next to the pier. That is why you may have noticed that the gangway is in a different position when you leave to explore in the morning from when you return at the end of the day. The Magic Carpet for tendering is deplorable in only one position - water level - so could not be used with changing tide levels.

Edited by sloopsailor