Travel insurance for visits to medical center

Luvmyrotti

FYI: Get an MD Dx and notes before you leave ship. Not easy to get AFTER you leave. This is usually what is required for insurance to pay. Especially with serious stuff. My cabinmate had a TIA with dehydration. She got better after 4 hrs with an IV for the dehydration.

Note: We were told that IF the MD had written she had a stroke, they would have had to take her off ship at next port!

FYI: Get an MD Dx and notes before you leave ship. Not easy to get AFTER you leave. This is usually what is required for insurance to pay. Especially with serious stuff. My cabinmate had a TIA with dehydration. She got better after 4 hrs with an IV for the dehydration.

Note: We were told that IF the MD had written she had a stroke, they would have had to take her off ship at next port!

Absolutely! We had friends who were unable to get anything related to the visit after leaving the ship.

The times we have visited the medical center - the doctor had all of his notes, blood results, EKG results, etc... delivered to our cabin. The doctor back home had thought that he was quite thorough. We never had an issue getting this from the medical center.

The MD Dx is what is needed. Insurance companies have codes which they slot each visit into. Even though notes may be there, the insurance clerk cannot always put that into their Dx/Code. Details matter when you have a serious claim. Just sayin'

The MD Dx is what is needed. Insurance companies have codes which they slot each visit into. Even though notes may be there, the insurance clerk cannot always put that into their Dx/Code. Details matter when you have a serious claim. Just sayin'

What I meant to say is that the doctors we have dealt with have been extremely thorough to provide everything we needed. I have had to file plenty of claims for a family member so I know how it works. Never had an issue with Princess's medical doctors.

Thanks. Good to know that the Princess insurance works so well as that is what we always use as well. I am, however, considering additional insurance for our trip to Tahiti, etc. later this year. Do you ever purchase additional insurance?

Not sure if this was directed to all or not, but I'll jump in anyway. It is important to know first if your regular medical insurance covers you out-of-country, and to what extent. Then look at what Princess insurance might cover, besides cancellation, that your regular insurance doesn't (perhaps evacuation off ship), and go from there to see if you need anything more. Just remember that evacuation coverage is generally to the nearest hospital that can handle your illness or injury, not repatriation to a hospital back home. That would require a policy such as MedJet Assist as well. I have traveled with as many as three policies in addition to my regular medical when traveling to parts of the world I wouldn't want to be "stuck" if I became ill.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

One just needs a diagnosis not a code for the claims I have submitted. Never had an issue submitting paperwork. If it is a serious claim the information will be obvious.

Not sure if this was directed to all or not, but I'll jump in anyway. It is important to know first if your regular medical insurance covers you out-of-country, and to what extent. Then look at what Princess insurance might cover, besides cancellation, that your regular insurance doesn't (perhaps evacuation off ship), and go from there to see if you need anything more. Just remember that evacuation coverage is generally to the nearest hospital that can handle your illness or injury, not repatriation to a hospital back home. That would require a policy such as MedJet Assist as well. I have traveled with as many as three policies in addition to my regular medical when traveling to parts of the world I wouldn't want to be "stuck" if I became ill.

I agree completely. I want a powerful policy and Princess's policy is not that. MedJet Assist is great but you have to be stable to travel. I would hate to have a cardiac incident or stroke and not be stable for MedJet to kick in and only have Princess's policy limits which are minimal. Do yourself a favor and buy a 3rd party plan for extensive trips such as Allianz, TravelGuard, Travelex.

Just curious, but was does a simple doctor visit cost on the ship?

For us it was $95 for the initial visit with the doc and $80 for each of the follow ups. We were also charged for wound care with the nurse. There were also charges for the two blood tests they ran, for wound care supplies and for antibiotics. About $400 overall. Well worth it for piece of mind.

• 4 weeks later...
Just curious, but was does a simple doctor visit cost on the ship?

I had to visit the medical center on the Grand yesterday. It is $95 to see the doctor. $45 if a nurse consult works for your problem. Any medications are extra. A letter with all the info for insurance was delivered to our stateroom the same day of the visit.

Cheers, Denise

We had to go to the medical center and the charges were put on our account.

Just so you know the experience I had when I had to be taken to the hospital in Nassau. I called the insurance company before we left the ship to let them know. When we got to the hospital they informed us that they did not accept payment from insurance companies and we have to pay up front and submit the bills ourselves when we got home. Thank goodness for a credit card with a high limit. We also had to pay for the ambulance upfront as they would not accept insurance. Not all Islands will accept insurance so be prepared.

I had to visit the medical center on the Grand yesterday. It is $95 to see the doctor. $45 if a nurse consult works for your problem. Any medications are extra. A letter with all the info for insurance was delivered to our stateroom the same day of the visit.

Cheers, Denise

I went for an xray, shot of pain meds - $350 as I recall. Insurance took care of it when I got home.

DH and I were on the Royal Princess January of 2015 and incurred a $7000.00 plus bill from the ships medical (we were there a lot getting IV's). We did not have Princess Insurance due to a pre existing illness but had Allianz Insurance. They covered everything including hotel for me while Dh was hospitalized in Florida for a few days. They also covered tests that were taken while we were in Bonaire. We had to cancel the 2nd half of our B2B on the Royal and that was covered as well. That was money well spent on insurance.

The Doctor did give me a letter to submit along with the daily receipts of medicine and IV's. It was pretty cut and dry and was paid out in a timely fashion.

The staff on the Regal could not have been better to us.

• 7 months later...

I'm hoping someone will tell me if I am understanding this correctly ..... I was taken to the medical center on board the Ruby Princess and this was charged to our account which we paid with card on file. Then I was taken by ambulance to hospital ER, where they did a CT-scan. The ER visit was paid for with a credit card. So now I'm home and I am submitting to Medicare (who will deny claim) then submit to secondary insurance. What they DON'T pay, my ship insurance (which is LeisureCare/Transamerica) will pay?

I'm hoping someone who has had to use the onboard medical center and who had travel insurance can report their experience. Does the travel insurance require that you first submit the claim to your health insurance to determine if they will pay any portion of the bill? We have travelex insurance.

I used medical services and it was charged to my account. Returned home and sent copy of bill to primary. They used it for my deductible. Then submitted it to secondary and they paid next to nothing and I also realized none of the medicines were covered. Sent medicines stuff to drug company and got turned down because medicines given onboard are considered out of the country and not covered.

Finally sent all bills medical and medicinal to princes coverage and got it 100% covered. Hope this helps

I have had extensive experience in this area. First, the most important thing is to know what the policy is that you are holding, and what it covers.

Some people like the convenience of the travel insurance company being primary for the ease of filing.

Second, what you really need a lot of is medical insurance. The cost of your trip may or not be something that you choose to insure. The best way to handle this is by using one of the Chase credit cards that offer this benefit, again, you should see what the limitations are an if they address your potential concerns. They paid very easily in our case.

Then, if the cost of your trip is less than 10k, you just need medical insurance, which is very affordable. I would pick a product with at least $100k of emergency evacuation. This and medical costs abroad are your biggest financial exposures. I had two situations of this nature and insurance covered everything.

Medjet is simply a company that subcontracts out services which are the same as those used by other insurance companies, only they do not cover helicopter costs. They require that you are hospitalized in your port of call. They will not evacuate you directly from the ship. They told me that it takes a minimum of three days to arrange transportation. I had been under the impression that this was an air ambulance and they would come as if it was a 911 call. You will need a doctor in a local hospital to clear you for travel. With language differences, the need for interpreters and so on, this can be a bit combersome, even though necessary. They are not able to transport you unless you are deemed to be medically stable. So you may end up being treated for that heart attack in Timbuktu, anyway. I got to have hip surgery in Bhutan. Evacuation does not mean that you may not need extensive care in less than desirable locals. Even medjet would have had taken days, as they would have had to try and find a Bhutanese navigator for their contracted medjet, which is probably the same one that got me, the difference is they wouldn't have paid for my $9,000 helicopter ride that I needed to get to the hospital.

So be sure that you are comfortable with your destinations in a worse case situation.

My insurance covered travel to my hospital of choice abroad to be stabilized until I was well enough for travel home. Then, they paid for first class travel home on Emerites Airlines for me, my nurse and partner.

Similarly my partner was hospitalized on another trip until he was stable to travel home, in business class, with his nurse. They only covered coach for me ;)

On a simple claim, like an asthma inhaler, I just submitted the receipt given to me by the ships infirmary. The I travel insurance company in this case was primary.

I used medical services and it was charged to my account. Returned home and sent copy of bill to primary. They used it for my deductible. Then submitted it to secondary and they paid next to nothing and I also realized none of the medicines were covered. Sent medicines stuff to drug company and got turned down because medicines given onboard are considered out of the country and not covered.

Finally sent all bills medical and medicinal to princes coverage and got it 100% covered. Hope this helps

which secondary insurance was it and why did they pay next to nothing?

Please help me make the right choice. Choosing a travel insurance is totally new to me, since it's the first time my parents are coming on a cruise. I posted it in a "over 55" board, but didn't receive any definitive answers.

first, what would work best for my parents? any agency recommendations are welcome.

67 and 69 at the time of the cruise. Cruise is 7 nights. Both have Medicare (mom has some kind of additional supplement, and Dad has Medicare Part B and Medicaid); and the usual age related health problems. I have read that neither Medicare, nor Medicaid work outside the US, so that's settled.

I was thinking GeoBlue Voyager Choice Single Trip for $100K or $1M medical. Both of these also have $500K medical evacuation, which I am assuming is different from the $100K or $1M medical expenses. Judging by posts above, this medical evacuation may not include helicopter evacuation? Princess insurance has the same premiums (about $100 for 2), but much lower medical limits.

I don't know whether MedJetAssist is needed on top of GeoBlue. I can't tell what's different about what it offers. But it starts at $99pp, whereas GeoBlue was $100-130 for two people.

I have trip cancellation insurance through my Chase Visa upto $5K. So do my parents, so we are not talking about trip cancellation, but purely medical emergencies.

My nuclear family (my hubby and kid) has a regular UHC group plan through my work. Do I need travel insurance (we never bought one, but now I am getting paranoid)? Should I just contact my UHC provider and see what it offers in terms of international medical treatment coverage/evac services if it offers any?

[quote name=Coral;51929032Next - it matters if your policy is a primary policy or a secondary policy. If it is a primary policy' date=' you can file the claim right away with your travel insurance company. Our policies have always been secondary, so we have to file with all insurance companies (Medicare, private insurance) and after they have rejected or paid a portion or all of the the claims, then you submit to your travel insurance.

I don't remember if Travelex is primary or secondary. Some companies have both types of policies. .[/quote]

Travelex is primary. You send them the receipts, they pay you and you don't have to chase your own insurance coverages or go after the airlines for baggage problems.. Usually, though, their coverage is more expensive but I always check them first because sometimes it isn't that much difference or even the same amount of money. On our upcoming Hawaiian cruise, it was $20 more for me but only $3 for my younger sister. I bought the policies

Travelex is primary. You send them the receipts, they pay you and you don't have to chase your own insurance coverages or go after the airlines for baggage problems.. Usually, though, their coverage is more expensive but I always check them first because sometimes it isn't that much difference or even the same amount of money. On our upcoming Hawaiian cruise, it was $20 more for me but only $3 for my younger sister. I bought the policies

I read an article once that indicated that "sometimes" secondary is better. It really depends on the situation and your personal insurance.

For example - if you have a $50,000 limit on medical on travel insurance and had a really bad accident (let's say costs $100K), you are better off having your regular insurance pay and then have travel insurance be secondary as opposed to going through travel insurance pay the first $50K. Especially if your existing medical insurance doesn't cover well outside of the US.

I wish I could find this article. Though - for most things, a fee of a few thousand for a small accident, I understand your rationale.

See if this link works: https://tripinsurancestore.com/how-primary-and-secondary-travel-insurance-medical-coverage-works/

Edited by Coral

I'm hoping someone who has had to use the onboard medical center and who had travel insurance can report their experience. Does the travel insurance require that you first submit the claim to your health insurance to determine if they will pay any portion of the bill? We have travelex insurance.

The answer depends on your travel policy...and you might want to read the policy and fine print. Most (ot all) travel medical policies are secondary...which generally means you must first submit a claim to your primary policy, get an EOB (Explanation of Benefits) and act accordingly. If your primary policy rejects your claim, then you submit to your secondary company. Some policies might do this "coordination of third party liability" work...but most will require you to jump through the hoops. Getting your claim paid will likely take months. Nearly a lifetime working in the Medical Insurance industry has taught me an important lesson. You can never have too much documentation of your treatment and detailed costs. Claims can (and will be) denied for lack of proper documentation.

Hank