Just boarded Ruby. Main Dining room closed for lunch

vmom

Update. I went to the dining room again. Different person at the foor, about 45 minutes later and she said that the dining room IS open for all passengers fir lunch.

I think that the first waiter- staff person was not informed and giving out misinformation.

I've come across that issue. The MDR hours are printed in the embarkation Patter and I've found it very useful to carry that with me to lunch. :D

Some pretty harsh comments on this thread but it is CC so it is to be expected.

I work at a ski resort where we have thousands of guests every day -- many more than are on a cruise ship. I am asked questions all day long. I do my best but am not perfect. A couple days ago I was really busy and when one guest interrupted me while I was answering another guest's question I gave the wrong answer as to whether something was open. Got my days mixed up.

Should I be fired? Should I accept the harsh comments made on this thread? JimmVWine -- I just made a mistake. I don't believe I intentionally lied or that I am incompetent or that I was trying to ruin a person's whole week of vacation -- but if someone else wants to believe those things -- go for it.

For those of you that have never made a mistake, give the rest of us a break.

Your comments would be fair if it was a once-off, but it is a common occurrance on many of the Princess fleet. Passengers seem to be actively discouraged from having lunch in the MDR on embarkation day.

I have been following this thread for awhile. We were on the Ruby just after Thanksgiving and lunch was served in one of the mid ship dining rooms. I have since read that following that cruise the dining room was not being used for us common folks for lunch. Then there was a post that said that was a one trip problem and that it was now open. Now it looks like it is not? Guess I will have to find out for myself and booked another Ruby cruise for March. I mean, inquiring minds need to know these things:D

That works for me, a very good reason to book a cruise.

I thought the same thing... it's the deflect.

Also, wonder if BVEs get to eat in the MDR.

I'd be a little more aggressive in finding out if the MDR was really closed.

I'd be very disappointed in Princess if they no longer offered embarkation lunch.

As for my BVE. In Ft Lauderdale, we went to the MDR for our lunch, seated, and waiter brought menus, we gave him the letter regarding our "free" glass of wine, he takes it, comes back, meanwhile, we struck up a conversation with our table mates, and tells us we have to leave, this dining room is for REAL GUESTS, takes our menu and walks away.

Some pretty harsh comments on this thread but it is CC so it is to be expected.

I work at a ski resort where we have thousands of guests every day -- many more than are on a cruise ship. I am asked questions all day long. I do my best but am not perfect. A couple days ago I was really busy and when one guest interrupted me while I was answering another guest's question I gave the wrong answer as to whether something was open. Got my days mixed up.

Should I be fired? Should I accept the harsh comments made on this thread? JimmVWine -- I just made a mistake. I don't believe I intentionally lied or that I am incompetent or that I was trying to ruin a person's whole week of vacation -- but if someone else wants to believe those things -- go for it.

Did anyone say someone should be fired? Seems like a bit of an over reaction to me. What Jimmy and I and several others are complaining about is the institutional practice of saying "Go to the buffet" even though the dining room is open. EVERYONE will tell you that. You have to go to the dining room without asking to find it open and serving people. Maybe some of the staff is new or uninformed or whatever, but when EVERYONE says to go to the buffet and not the dining room, it's obvious there's some direction behind it. The problem is with Princess management, not the staff, and I would never suggest someone be fired for doing what they are told to do which is tell a lie. :rolleyes:

As for my BVE. In Ft Lauderdale, we went to the MDR for our lunch, seated, and waiter brought menus, we gave him the letter regarding our "free" glass of wine, he takes it, comes back, meanwhile, we struck up a conversation with our table mates, and tells us we have to leave, this dining room is for REAL GUESTS, takes our menu and walks away.

Didn't you just tell us this story on another thread? Didn't you also tell us you spoke to a head waiter who then seated you at a different table and that you had lunch as planned?

Did anyone say someone should be fired? Seems like a bit of an over reaction to me. What Jimmy and I and several others are complaining about is the institutional practice of saying "Go to the buffet" even though the dining room is open. EVERYONE will tell you that. You have to go to the dining room without asking to find it open and serving people. Maybe some of the staff is new or uninformed or whatever, but when EVERYONE says to go to the buffet and not the dining room, it's obvious there's some direction behind it. The problem is with Princess management, not the staff, and I would never suggest someone be fired for doing what they are told to do which is tell a lie. :rolleyes:

I can say that I see a logistical reason to point everyone to the buffet. I haven't seen that there is staff available to adequately serve anymore passengers than the ones who do show up at the MDR for embarkation lunch. I'm pretty sure if they had 300 or more people come in there would be a real issue. :eek:

Edited by ar1950

Yesterday i had a call from Customer Relations about another matter and before i hung up i asked about the lunch in the MDR on embarkation day. She said that they know all about the complaints but as far as she knew it only happened on the Dec 17 sailing since they had a special event scheduled for that day. Did not say what it was. She said they are not getting rid of this on any cruise! Too many people enjoy this relaxing meal time....

Yesterday i had a call from Customer Relations about another matter and before i hung up i asked about the lunch in the MDR on embarkation day. She said that they know all about the complaints but as far as she knew it only happened on the Dec 17 sailing since they had a special event scheduled for that day. Did not say what it was. She said they are not getting rid of this on any cruise! Too many people enjoy this relaxing meal time....

Thank you for your update...

ACK!!!

Did you go to the head waiter and complain?

I have been following this thread for awhile. We were on the Ruby just after Thanksgiving and lunch was served in one of the mid ship dining rooms. I have since read that following that cruise the dining room was not being used for us common folks for lunch. Then there was a post that said that was a one trip problem and that it was now open. Now it looks like it is not? Guess I will have to find out for myself and booked another Ruby cruise for March. I mean, inquiring minds need to know these things:D

Is it only open just for Elite privileged PAX?

Or is it just another conspiracy theory?

Happy cruising in 2017, and God willing, beyond.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Update. I went to the dining room again. Different person at the foor, about 45 minutes later and she said that the dining room IS open for all passengers fir lunch.

I think that the first waiter- staff person was not informed and giving out misinformation.

Good to know.

Is it only open just for Elite privileged PAX?

Or is it just another conspiracy theory?

Happy cruising in 2017, and God willing, beyond.

You only need to know the super-secret handshake and you are good to go........:D

Thanks for the good wish for 2017 and beyond. :)

Wow, lunch in the MDR with wine is one of the "selling points" of BVE. I have done 3 or 4 in Fort Lauderdale and never have had staff act like that, nor would I tolerate it, I don't care what logo is on the exhaust stack.

You are completely ignoring the frequency and repetition of this "mistake". It cannot be that 90% of the crew members who stand outside the doors of the MDR do not know that it is open for business. But yes, if they are so repeatedly mistaken, then they should be fired. It only takes one correction to learn the protocol. A crew member who gives out bad information on 1/7, gets corrected by his superior, and then gives out the same bad information on 1/14 should indeed be sacked. But let's not be naive. This is intentional misdirection. It has been going on for years. If you are asked if a particular lift goes all the way to the summit and you say "no", but are later corrected that it indeed does, and then the following Saturday someone asks you that very same question, wouldn't you give out an accurate answer the second time?

Lunch in the dining room is one of our favorite things to do right after embarking. It's the start of our cruise experience. On the Regal last month, they had the slices of beef tenderloin. They cooked mine perfectly rare as ordered. On the CB the week before, I had the salmon.

Although lunch is not just for Elites, I would be tempted to flash my cruise card if any staff member tried to steer us away from eating in the dining room when it is open. I remember on one cruise a waiter remarking about it being for back-to-back passengers. He did not refuse to serve us, just a passing remark.

Although lunch is not just for Elites, I would be tempted to flash my cruise card .

But in the future we will all be flashing medallions, which will all look the same [emoji2][emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's not how BVE works at all! At least, not in California. [emoji15]

Given you had the letter I would have asked for a supervisor. [emoji44] I would have been so offended.

We've never done BVE without accompanying guests on the cruise.

Sorry you experienced that [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is BVE please?

Bon Voyage Experience. Only available in select US embarkation ports.

The Bon Voyage Experience is an innovative new program harkening back to the nostalgic tradition from the early days of cruising, allowing guests the opportunity to invite family and friends aboard your ship on embarkation day. The program's new twist also allows cruisers new to Princess to see the inside of a Princess ship and experience the excitement of cruising first-hand -- even if they're not affiliated with booked guests.

Guests will spend up to four hours onboard before the ship sets sail, where they'll enjoy a four-course dining room lunch (including wine), a guided ship tour, and a souvenir photo! Plus, the $39 per person cost of the program can be applied toward a future cruise with Princess. Only 50 guests are able to participate in the Bon Voyage Experience on any given embarkation day, so make sure you make your reservations soon!

To learn more about Bon Voyage Experience reservations and availability near you, please contact your Travel Consultant or call 1-800-PRINCESS (1-800-774-6237) as long as it is not within 7 days of sailing.

Edited by Colo Cruiser