first HAL Cruise review

SoBe2010

Hello everybody,

just returned from our 21 cruise, first with HAL. We are thrilled. 7 night eastern Caribbean on Koningsdam.

Following review is written and should be published soon.

We chose this cruise on a short notice three weeks before sailaway. Having had a focus on Celebrity Cruises before, we were in the mood to try something new, since Celebrity turned towards a path in the past, which was more and more not our cup of tea anymore. We are a couple in the mid 30´s, no kids yet.

What can I say, we most likely found our new cruise line of choice. We were very impressed by the modern, yet classy design of the ship. It really never felt crowded nor rushed in any area of the ship. Even the pain points on mostly every Megaliner Ship, Lido Cafe during breakfast or lunch, was quite comfortable.

Still a lot of seating during rush hours, attentive service, set tables and frequently passed by the most friendly service staff who offered drinks or cleaned up the table. Even if it´s not their section or job. Never seen a drink server taking plates away on any other cruiseline.

Also, there was no fishing for tips at all. They swiped your card, the basic 15% service charge was added and that´s it. On Royal or Celebrity they even ignored me sometimes knowing that my drinks are free (included/prepaid) because of status or package.

Also, no begging on the last day for 5star ratings on the feedback questionare. Even though they derserved and worked hard for it.

Food in Lido and Dining Room was very good. Selection and quality excellent.

Tamarind, one of the specialty restaurants was a nice change, and for 25$ something I would probably consider again.

Our most favorite outlets were the Dive In Burger station and New York Pizza and Deli. You order your meal like ashore and you get a pager with a waiting time in our cases between 5 to 10 minutes. The benefit is, that you are getting such a wonderful and freshly prepared meal instead of standing in a line and have to deal with stuff precooked and displayed. And again, relaxed atmosphere, no lines, longer than a minute.

The Lido Cafe is the buffet restaurant, but you are mainly served by the staff behind the counters. Nice thing, since it´s very hygienic. Certainly, you can get as much food as you like. And again, no longer lines compared when you help yourself and wait in line with fellow guests in front of you.

The ship is spotless, new and very clean. Towels in public restrooms, still a very nice touch. Also, fresh flowers everywhere. Canapes around the ship, how classy.

We had a spa verandah cabin. Nice, standard size, beautiful interior, very nice walk in shower with a modern look. Storrage space average and ok. Live TV only news and sport channels. But tons of shows and movies on demand.

Entertainment was very good. Liked the guest enterainers. Production Show was excellent. Great live music around the ship. Live band, string quartet, piano music, steel drum player.

No music at pool, except steel drum during sailaway or backround music piped in very lightly. How nice, finally no techno or house music or belly contest or annoying zumba dance classes at pool. Just relaxing.

Fitness Center was excellent and inviting to work out.

That´s it. We are hooked by Holland America and will from now on consider them as our prime choice.

Edited by SoBe2010

Hello everybody,

just returned from our 21 cruise, first with HAL. We are thrilled.

Following review is written and should be published soon.

We chose this cruise on a short notice three weeks before sailaway. Having had a focus on Celebrity Cruises before, we were in the mood to try something new, since Celebrity turned towards a path in the past, which was more and more not our cup of tea anymore. We are a couple in the mid 30´s, no kids yet.

What can I say, we most likely found our new cruise line of choice. We were very impressed by the modern, yet classy design of the ship. It really never felt crowded nor rushed in any area of the ship. Even the pain points on mostly every Megaliner Ship, Lido Cafe during breakfast or lunch, was quite comfortable.

Still a lot of seating during rush hours, attentive service, set tables and frequently passed by the most friendly service staff who offered drinks or cleaned up the table. Even if it´s not their section or job. Never seen a drink server taking plates away on any other cruiseline.

Also, there was no fishing for tips at all. They swiped your card, the basic 15% service charge was added and that´s it. On Royal or Celebrity they even ignored me sometimes knowing that my drinks are free (included/prepaid) because of status or package.

Also, no begging on the last day for 5star ratings on the feedback questionare. Even though they derserved and worked hard for it.

Food in Lido and Dining Room was very good. Selection and quality excellent.

Tamarind, one of the specialty restaurants was a nice change, and for 25$ something I would probably consider again.

Our most favorite outlets were the Dive In Burger station and New York Pizza and Deli. You order your meal like ashore and you get a pager with a waiting time in our cases between 5 to 10 minutes. The benefit is, that you are getting such a wonderful and freshly prepared meal instead of standing in a line and have to deal with stuff precooked and displayed. And again, relaxed atmosphere, no lines, longer than a minute.

The Lido Cafe is the buffet restaurant, but you are mainly served by the staff behind the counters. Nice thing, since it´s very hygienic. Certainly, you can get as much food as you like. And again, no longer lines compared when you help yourself and wait in line with fellow guests in front of you.

The ship is spotless, new and very clean. Towels in public restrooms, still a very nice touch. Also, fresh flowers everywhere. Canapes around the ship, how classy.

We had a spa verandah cabin. Nice, standard size, beautiful interior, very nice walk in shower with a modern look. Storrage space average and ok. Live TV only news and sport channels. But tons of shows and movies on demand.

Entertainment was very good. Liked the guest enterainers. Production Show was excellent. Great live music around the ship. Live band, string quartet, piano music, steel drum player.

No music at pool, except steel drum during sailaway or backround music piped in very lightly. How nice, finally no techno or house music or belly contest or annoying zumba dance classes at pool. Just relaxing.

Fitness Center was excellent and inviting to work out.

That´s it. We are hooked by Holland America and will from now on consider them as our prime choice.

That's wonderful to hear. We're taking our first cruise ANYWHERE next week on HAL ship. Which one were you on? Where did you cruise?

Thanks for your review. We took our first HAL cruise last August on the Maasdam for a 14 day Alaska cruise. We absolutely loved it and were very impressed with the high quality of the entire experience. We will definitely do another HAL cruise soon.

Which islands did you visit on your cruise? Did you take any shore excursions?

Edited by JimAOk1945

I am very glad you enjoyed HAL! Glad also to hear about the Koningsdam, newest sheep of the HAL fleet. She does seem to offer options like the Dive in Burger and New

York Pizza not yet available on smaller ships from HAL such as the Rotterdam and Maasdam, that we experienced. I seem to recognize the excellent service quality of the brand, which is great to hear also. We're about to try, our first cruise on X and look forward to compare it to our HAL experiences.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What can I say, we most likely found our new cruise line of choice ... We are hooked by Holland America and will from now on consider them as our prime choice.

Thank you for the review. Welcome to HAL.

SoBe2010

Thank you for posting to the HAL board pre-publication in the ship-specific reviews. Which I wouldn't have read, as I was not considering the K-dam... in fact I was mentally blocked against her, I admit!

I wasn't sure the HAL brand could stand being applied to a bigger ship. "Mid-sized ships" has been part of HAL's uniqueness since I've known the line!

You have reassured me that they have applied the brand in style! I will expand my possibilities in the future; my husband might like an even bigger ship than the Nieuw Amsterdam we have sailed on.

Thanks for your review. We took our first HAL cruise last August on the Maasdam for a 14 day Alaska cruise. We absolutely loved it and were very impressed with the high quality of the entire experience. We will definitely do another HAL cruise soon.

Which islands did you visit on your cruise? Did you take any shore excursions?

Thanks for reading everybody and your appreciation.

Grand Turk was cancelled, instead we had an overnight in San Juan. It was not too bad, since we discovered some nice spots. Usually, we skip PR and stay on the ship.

St. Thomas great as always. Did a beach day on our own.

First time on half moon cay. What a gorgeous place. Caribbean/Bahamas as you picture it to be. They really put a lot of effort into creating this paradise.