Why is The Haven so much more than a Suite on Celebrity ?

dgparent

We loved our suite on Jewel and NCL in general. Was looking at some cruises in the future and was wondering why The Haven is so much more than a Suite on Celebrity ? They both have their own restaurants etc, is the only difference the private pool and Haven area, which I have no use for ? They both offer 4 perks for booking a Suite.

Because its better. Its much better. Its not just a dining room, but the Dining Room in Haven is not just a MDR conversion like on Celebrity, its a planned area platform. With this, with that, and with a dedicated concierge and atmosphere and stature. The two really can't be compared IMHO. We have gone suites on Celebrity and as far as Royal Suites. If I want to book a suite for a cruise, it will be in Haven on NCL. If you are looking to justify costs, there isn't any way to do that. Pick your ship, sail and go enjoy.

Edited by MizDemeanor

We loved our suite on Jewel and NCL in general. Was looking at some cruises in the future and was wondering why The Haven is so much more than a Suite on Celebrity ? They both have their own restaurants etc, is the only difference the private pool and Haven area, which I have no use for ? They both offer 4 perks for booking a Suite.

Because people are foolish enough to pay for it. You can cruise on almost any luxury line for a week for less than a Heaven suite and there is no comparison.

I have travelled in a suite on NCL but not the Haven.

However I do not really think that a suite is economically worth the extra over a normal stateroom; it is ''nice" to have all the suite benefits but.......

To then pay about 40% above the cost of a suite for the Haven; not on my pay grade!!

We have cruised several times in the Haven on the Escape and Getaway and love it. But i did read some review on other "luxury lines" and saw that you truly do get the luxury cabin and all the amenities that the haven offers and more. However, from cruisers who have cruised both the haven and luxury lines, the comments are that with the haven, you get a much larger offering in entertainment plus still have all the great luxury amenities.

As far as a Jewel comparison, I think the Haven suites are way over priced and I would not pay the asking prices. They (non-mega ships) don't have a Haven Lounge, expansive Haven sun area, nor dedicated restaurant. All this being said, I haven't sailed in any cabin that comes close to the Garden Villa on the Pearl and I hope to sail in another GV in the future.

The Haven perks are different (and much better) on the Epic, Getaway, Breakaway, and Escape. I don't use the Haven pool area either, but I do all of the other areas and enjoy the many perks, especially the concierge benefits.

Is it better than Celebrity suites? I don't know because I have never sailed Celebrity. I will add that I think NCL's pricing is out of sight presently on all their ships. I would take a guess Celebrity's suite balconies are bigger than NCL (generally speaking) so if that's important to you, heed the sq footage.

IMO, I think a big draw for an NCL Haven, for people where price is no object , is the casualness and lively atmosphere of their mega ships.

Edited by asubaru

They (non-mega ships) don't have a Haven Lounge, expansive Haven sun area, nor dedicated restaurant.

Jewel class ships (only non-mega ships with Haven) do have private Haven sun deck, just like megaships do. Maybe not as big as on megaships but then again the number of Haven suites is also a lot smaller.

I don't know yet why the Haven is so expensive but the prices has gone up a lot.

We planned to cruise on the Epic this summer but after checking the prices we decided to try MSC and their Yacht Club instead. We pay more than $3000 less than for a rather similar cruise in the Haven. (One week from Barcelona.)

If you are flexible with your schedule, you can book the Haven for less than the MSC Yacht Club. We booked a 500 + sq. ft. two bedroom Haven suite for $3,700 for two. This includes all Free at Sea packages. Non guaranteed balconies were around $2,400 on the same cruise. If you include the service charges for the UDP And SDP which is waived for Haven guests, you are looking at a difference of less than $1,000 for a Haven room. This was not an up sell and plenty of two bedroom suites were available a month ago when we booked this room.

I agree that I would not pay $6,000 for the Haven when you can get a MSC YC1 for $4,000, which we have also stayed in. However, if you can travel during off peak periods, deals are available for the Haven.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

IMO, I think a big draw for an NCL Haven, for people where price is no object , is the casualness and lively atmosphere of their mega ships.

This is exactly right for DH and I. I have been searching for a cruise line that combines the casual attire permitted on NCL for DH and the luxury of the Haven for me - all while still including a variety of quality entertainment options. Haven't found it yet, so I'll keep sailing Haven. But if anyone knows of a cruise line other than NCL that allows/has all of that, please let me know! :)

If you are flexible with your schedule, you can book the Haven for less than the MSC Yacht Club. We booked a 500 + sq. ft. two bedroom Haven suite for $3,700 for two. This includes all Free at Sea packages. Non guaranteed balconies were around $2,400 on the same cruise. If you include the service charges for the UDP And SDP which is waived for Haven guests, you are looking at a difference of less than $1,000 for a Haven room. This was not an up sell and plenty of two bedroom suites were available a month ago when we booked this room.

I agree that I would not pay $6,000 for the Haven when you can get a MSC YC1 for $4,000, which we have also stayed in. However, if you can travel during off peak periods, deals are available for the Haven.

I'm sure that it's possible to find deals but I have looked at many cruises and the YC is much cheaper than the Haven most of the time.

A Haven penthouse on the Epic in July should cost almost $9000 and we pay less than $6000 for the Yacht Club on MSC Meraviglia.

Because people are foolish enough to pay for it. You can cruise on almost any luxury line for a week for less than a Heaven suite and there is no comparison.

This! I'm about to become a first-time NCL passenger, and when booking my cruise and seeing the price of the Haven rooms, I'm always a bit shocked by it. Personally, I would rather spend the money for a room on Crystal, Oceania, Azamara, etc. I suppose the exception would be if I were traveling with children, but even then, I think I would go with Disney over NCL. Just my opinion, and perhaps I'll think differently in two weeks after my trip on the Getaway.

If you include the service charges for the UDP And SDP which is waived for Haven guests, ...

Is this also true for an upbid into haven? If so, I have a few hundred more dollars to play with (add to the bid). This is good info I somehow have always missed.

Thank you,

I have not tried the upgrade process, but sections 11 and 13 below from NCL terms and conditions appear to indicate they will not extend any additional promotions via the upgrade which presumably includes the 5 Free as Sea promotion.

11. If you purchase an Upgrade, the conditions of your original cruise reservation will remain in effect following the Upgrade. This includes conditions pertaining to cancellation, penalties, and changes.

12. If you have purchased Norwegian Cruise Line’s Travel Protection on your current booking, you will be automatically charged to cover the Upgrade cost. For more information please visit https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/booksafe#pricing

13. The Upgrade does not include any additional promotions. If you purchase an Upgrade, Norwegian Cruise Line cannot guarantee a specific cabin number assignment within the upgraded category. Your cabin number will depend on space availability. You may revise or cancel your Offer through the hyperlink on the offer email before 48 hours of your departure, provided that your Offer has not already been accepted by Norwegian Cruise Line and provided your credit card has not been charged. However, if your Offer is accepted before you cancel or amend your Offer, you are legally bound to complete payment for the price stated in your original Offer.

I don't know yet why the Haven is so expensive but the prices has gone up a lot.

We planned to cruise on the Epic this summer but after checking the prices we decided to try MSC and their Yacht Club instead. We pay more than $3000 less than for a rather similar cruise in the Haven. (One week from Barcelona.)

We are also looking at MCS - now that the free drinks extends to the whole ship and not just the Club Lounge. Our 3 lines we looked at were NCL,X and MCS. The itineraries we liked on NCL were only served by the large ships with The Haven, so I think we will go with X or MCS.

we just sailed for the 10th time on NCL, first tiem in Haven. we got a 2 bedroom courtyard villa for less than half the normal cost - we did it on an upsell deal.

we LOVED it. we thought it was worth the extra $2k we paid on the upsell deal. as much as we loved it, we'd never pay full price (which for two of us would have been around $11K.). we'd rather sail more frequently in a regular room.

that siad, anytime we can get a decent upsell deal to Haven or any suite, we'll do it. im hoping we get many chances since we are both Platinum and we always sail at off peak times to avoid children.

We are also looking at MCS - now that the free drinks extends to the whole ship and not just the Club Lounge. Our 3 lines we looked at were NCL,X and MCS. The itineraries we liked on NCL were only served by the large ships with The Haven, so I think we will go with X or MCS.

I have only seen the YC on pictures and the Meraviglia Yacht Club isn't even built yet but from what I have seen, the Yacht Club looks much better than the Haven.

I'm really looking forward to our MSC Cruise in July but I'm still thinking, how can it be so much cheaper than the Haven?

I'm really looking forward to our MSC Cruise in July but I'm still thinking, how can it be so much cheaper than the Haven?

It's because Haven prices have gone up so much.

I compared what I paid for Escape Haven (booked about a year and a half out) to what it would cost a year and a half out on Getaway (Escape won't be in Miami at that time). The difference was roughly $1,900 for 4 of us.

Same date, same itinerary, same Haven class suite, older ship, weaker promos, no bringing bottled water :p = 2 grand more? :(

I'm also taking my first MSC cruise but on Seaside. I booked the Royal Suite for less than the H6 would cost on Getaway the same week. From what I can tell, the Royal Suite is larger than the H6 and has a hot-tub on the balcony. Sure, the H2 on Escape or Getaway is a better "top suite" than the top suite on Seaside but the H2 on Getaway would be almost $6,000 more than the Royal Suite on Seaside.

we just sailed for the 10th time on NCL, first tiem in Haven. we got a 2 bedroom courtyard villa for less than half the normal cost - we did it on an upsell deal.

we LOVED it. we thought it was worth the extra $2k we paid on the upsell deal. as much as we loved it, we'd never pay full price (which for two of us would have been around $11K.). we'd rather sail more frequently in a regular room.

that siad, anytime we can get a decent upsell deal to Haven or any suite, we'll do it. im hoping we get many chances since we are both Platinum and we always sail at off peak times to avoid children.

See this, NCL?

You get people into the Haven through upsells who say they will never pay the inflated full price.

Is it worth it? As long-time, dedicated NCL suite pax, like me, are looking at other options. I feel like you have taken me, and my dollars, for granted.

Used to be, I paid a lot, but felt like the value was there. Yes, there were upsells, but they were initiated by NCL, so it was not an "option for everyone" like it is now. It does change one's perspective. I do not want to book a balcony on the hopes of "winning the haven" without all the promotions... but on the flip side, I feel like NCL's current inflated pricing for booking a full suite is too much a disparity between those who upsell. Perhaps if NCL had slightly raised the prices I would look at it differently.... but it appears NCL wants it both to ways and perhaps takes their established suite customer for granted.

MSC gave me a loyalty match. Have cruised X and liked it. And almost cruised Azamara and want to. I thought I was a NCL suite pac for life but now I see myself checking other options.

Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by DMH15

I have a penthouse suite on the Jade this April.....is the upgrade to a Haven worth it to any of you?

Thank you

Brian

We sailed in a penthouse on the Jade a few years ago and attended a reception in the Haven courtyard. We didn't see any good reason to justify the additional cost for the Haven on future cruises on ships this size. The Jade is a smaller ship, so it doesn't have the Haven restaurant or quite the horde of people to try to avoid. Other than the private courtyard and pool area, the other suites on the ship get essentially the same perks as the Haven. And if your penthouse is one of the forward ones, the Haven can't beat the view you'll have sitting on your forward balcony having coffee as you sail into port.

I have a penthouse suite on the Jade this April.....is the upgrade to a Haven worth it to any of you?

Thank you

Brian

We had an aft Penthouse suite and it was great. The ship is small enough which may mean you may not miss the Haven area. If you are looking for a more quiet area then I would go with the Haven.