Left behind piece of luggage beware

MILO 0NE

There would be no customs fees if it is Canadian goods returning. Long as the document says that these are good valued at 60$ CDN. Left by mistake while on vacation.

See my post right above yours. From our experience RC doesn't know how to fill out the form correctly. :)

Edit: if their lost and found department is as competent as their IT department this could happen quiet easily.;)

Edited by A&L_Ont

See my post right above yours. From our experience RC doesn't know how to fill out the form correctly. :)

Edit: if their lost and found department is as competent as their IT department this could happen quiet easily.;)

Sorry about that. I would have been annoyed too but just happy to get it back. I think that is why a lot of companies from USA do not want to ship to Canada is because of all the extra paperwork they need to fill out. Which in all honestly isn't that much

A lot of posters seem to think the charge was high. Sure it was, but that's what it costs for a 45 lb package to Canada from Miami. USPS is about the same

Just a 6lb box to Canada costs around $40

Exactly... and FedEx doesn't just make up prices, they would have measured/weighed the package and then the computer would produce a label with the correct charge. It sounds like RCI didn't actually charge anything for the special handling on their end. I'm sure RCI just drops this stuff off for shipping and moves on. Unlikely that they've got the time to go price shopping for their customers, finding out prices, getting back to them, etc.

The most I think that RCI could do is warn customers that "shipping luggage, especially internationally, is likely to be expensive" but I'm sure they don't really want to get into prices since they can't guarantee what the charges will be.

Sorry about that. I would have been annoyed too but just happy to get it back. I think that is why a lot of companies from USA do not want to ship to Canada is because of all the extra paperwork they need to fill out. Which in all honestly isn't that much

My MIL was just happy to get it back. We thought that RC would have known how to fill out the forms since the are an international company but we were wrong. We were just happy to get it back. I suspect that most other international guests getting returned items are happy as well, even if the paper work is filled out wrong making the shipping costs more.

We know how many stories have we read here on CC about lost items never found. When my MIL lost item was found and returned she was just happy that my FIL never found out that it happened.:) She fully admitted to us it was her mistake and the return was her's to pay for.

Edited by A&L_Ont

I agree with the other posters who say you needed to ask more questions before giving your credit card number. They might have given you options such as "I need it fast" compared to "no rush" etc. Since you were hoping they could get it to you while still in Florida, they might have been under the impression you needed it ASAP.

I have twice left things behind in hotel rooms, each time the hotel has told me what it would cost and I can decide if it's worth it before they mail it to me.

Why is this their fault?

Agree. You left the bag behind through your own fault. It's not like they misplaced it. It's up to you to be sure that you take all your belongings. Not being rude but I don't understand why you are upset at RCI :confused:

Edited by dmc6469

There would be no customs fees if it is Canadian goods returning. Long as the document says that these are good valued at 60$ CDN. Left by mistake while on vacation.

A lot of times when they fill the paperwork out they do not put that info on the documents which makes it cost you more money. You should never be charged duty or taxes.

There would have been brokerage fees because it would have required somebody to handle it though customs.

I work for a shipping company I find that hard to believe it cost that much unless the bag was heavy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Southwest once lost a bag of mine (50 lbs), and they paid to have it shipped from Buffalo to Toronto. I don't remember the exact cost, but I remember being very surprised at how expensive it was (price was on the documentation).

Southwest once lost a bag of mine (50 lbs), and they paid to have it shipped from Buffalo to Toronto. I don't remember the exact cost, but I remember being very surprised at how expensive it was (price was on the documentation).

And that's just a stone's throw compared to shipping it from Miami to wherever in Canada the OP lives.

I'd be grateful it was found & returned at all.

It would have probably been cheaper though to even fly something like Spirit/SW/JetBlue from Orlando to FLL and just pick the bag up yourself. I paid $59 each way to fly FLL to MCO once.

Edited by adjjb12

RCI wouldn't know if your bag was full of dirty underwear or souvenirs you bought on vacation. Unless you want to pay them to open it up and inventory it before they fill out the paperwork. They aren't going to make the assumption that it's $60 of Canadian goods returning.

I'd be grateful it was found & returned at all.

It would have probably been cheaper though to even fly something like Spirit/SW/JetBlue from Orlando to FLL and just pick the bag up yourself. I paid $59 each way to fly FLL to MCO once.

OK a couple things

1. They were on the oasis which is out of port Canaveral. It's only 60 miles from port Canaveral to Disneyworld.. they could have easily gone and gotten the bag from numerous transportation options.(shuttles, taxi, uber)

2. The OP said they called home. which means Royal went above and beyond. They found the bag, called the OP's listed number to let them know they had the bag, all within the couple hours it took to get to orlando.

3. Obviously the OP asked them to ship the bag so the responsibility would be on him to investigate the arrangements.

While I don't want to come off as a cheerleader... In this case I think the OP should be grateful that he got the bag at all and NOT post to bash the cruise line that

a. found his bag that he carelessly left behind

b. called his contact number to let them know

c. made arrangements with a shipper to get it back

what more could the cruise line do? It's not their fault that you were rushing to get to Disneyworld? I get it.. Your upset because you made a stupid mistake. I also am willing to bet that if the cruise line did not contact you, there would be a post labeled (warning cruise line stole my bag). Put your big boy pants on, place blame where it belongs.. ON YOU.

and maybe instead of complaining you could write a thank you letter to RCCL.. I am assuming the cost of the suitcase and the contents far exceeded the amount of shipping. show some gratitude...

Edited by TheTruthCanHurt

OK a couple things

1. They were on the oasis which is out of port Canaveral. It's only 60 miles from port Canaveral to Disneyland.. they could have easily gone and gotten the bag from numerous transportation options.(shuttles, taxi, uber)

Disneyland is over 2600 miles away. I would hate to think what the cost of a Taxi would be. :D

I can see both sides to this and it's a great reminder to always make sure you have all of your bags. We typically count them (although that's kind of moot since we mostly travel with the same number) then we can quickly count any time and know we have the right number. This works, of course, unless we inherit someone else's luggage :)

The fact that RCI reacted at all only makes me like them more. $249 is high, but at least you got your stuff back and, it sounds like, with minimal work on your part. They could have easily just held the bag and made you find someone to pick it up and ship it.

I'm glad OP posted. It's a great reminder of how much mistakes can cost us.

I had a friend who visited our local urgent care center. We are a small town. It cost him almost $200 and he was upset at the price. I told him he could have driven 30 minutes to the emergency room, but I thought we were lucky to have the care center for quick care. I thought the $200 was a small price to pay for the occasion when you need good help fast.

This luggage thing seems like one of those "can't win" stories. I don't know what OP had in their carry-on bag, but I often have my iPad and phone in there and would gladly pay that much for their safe return. I guess it's just a matter of perspective.

Tom

There would have been brokerage fees because it would have required somebody to handle it though customs.

Depending on the value they put on it. if they can put it under 20$ cdn there would be no brokerage fees. Again it all depends on the value you put on there and how you fill out the paperwork.

Yes brokerage and customs fees would have been charged some times they are worked into the cost and sometimes broken down on the invoice. While you fee the amount was high there are several things that could factor in. Dimensions of the suitcase, was it packaged some how? If not it requires what is,deemed as special handling. Also since you are an individual you have no discount with the carrier and it is considered an international shipment. Mark it up to lesson learned

This is our very strange experience with missing luggage after a Royal cruise. After an Allure cruise last summer, only two of three pieces of our luggage were found in the correct area, bag tag #2. The third piece was nowhere to be found. We spent an hour looking through tons of luggage and trooping back and forth to the lost luggage area but never found the final piece. We had to leave because the other couple who we rode with were waiting, one very patiently in her wheelchair. We just didn't feel right making them wait until all of the luggage for 6,000 passengers was unloaded and we were able to locate our bag.

We gave all of our info to the lady at lost luggage. She told us that when they found our bag, we would be contacted and that it would be shipped to us. No mention was made of us paying for shipping. She gave us a card with a Royal Caribbean toll free number on it and told us that when we were contacted that the bag was found, we were to call the number on the card to set up shipping.

About 2 hours later, we get a call that our luggage had been found. When we called Royal, we were told that we would have to pay shipping. Needless to say, we were very upset. I flat out said to the CSR that I felt like my suitcase was being held hostage and that I had to pay a ransom to get it back! To really add insult to injury, we were told that it could take up to a week for arrangements to be made for shipping and that we'd receive a call back for our credit card number. Just to make sure I wasn't imagining things, I called again and talked to a different CSR. He told me the same thing. Flat out, we were told that even though it wasn't our fault that the luggage could not be found after the cruise, we would have to pay for shipping.

The very next day, the day after we returned from our cruise, we got a call from Royal Caribbean telling us that our suitcase was being shipped by FEDEX and we would receive it the next day. No mention of shipping fees and we sure didn't ask. We did receive our luggage the next day, in a cardboard box and with the two #2 luggage tags still attached so we knew that the luggage wasn't missing because the tags had fallen off.

I know that someone will comment that the people handling the luggage in the port terminal are not Royal Caribbean employees but the number I called was Royal Caribbean, the logo on the card I was given was Royal Caribbean and the CSRs I spoke to identified themselves as Royal Caribbean. I found it to be a very confusing and frustrating end to a nice cruise.

CruisinNole...agree not a good way to end a Cruise. I also believe like at the airport baggage claim carousels there are some travelers that will grab the first bag that looks like theirs and be on their way. Then realize the one they grabbed is not theirs, drop it anywhere convenient to them and go back empty handed to look for and retrieve theirs.

This is our very strange experience with missing luggage after a Royal cruise. After an Allure cruise last summer, only two of three pieces of our luggage were found in the correct area, bag tag #2. The third piece was nowhere to be found. We spent an hour looking through tons of luggage and trooping back and forth to the lost luggage area but never found the final piece. We had to leave because the other couple who we rode with were waiting, one very patiently in her wheelchair. We just didn't feel right making them wait until all of the luggage for 6,000 passengers was unloaded and we were able to locate our bag.

We gave all of our info to the lady at lost luggage. She told us that when they found our bag, we would be contacted and that it would be shipped to us. No mention was made of us paying for shipping. She gave us a card with a Royal Caribbean toll free number on it and told us that when we were contacted that the bag was found, we were to call the number on the card to set up shipping.

About 2 hours later, we get a call that our luggage had been found. When we called Royal, we were told that we would have to pay shipping. Needless to say, we were very upset. I flat out said to the CSR that I felt like my suitcase was being held hostage and that I had to pay a ransom to get it back! To really add insult to injury, we were told that it could take up to a week for arrangements to be made for shipping and that we'd receive a call back for our credit card number. Just to make sure I wasn't imagining things, I called again and talked to a different CSR. He told me the same thing. Flat out, we were told that even though it wasn't our fault that the luggage could not be found after the cruise, we would have to pay for shipping.

The very next day, the day after we returned from our cruise, we got a call from Royal Caribbean telling us that our suitcase was being shipped by FEDEX and we would receive it the next day. No mention of shipping fees and we sure didn't ask. We did receive our luggage the next day, in a cardboard box and with the two #2 luggage tags still attached so we knew that the luggage wasn't missing because the tags had fallen off.

I know that someone will comment that the people handling the luggage in the port terminal are not Royal Caribbean employees but the number I called was Royal Caribbean, the logo on the card I was given was Royal Caribbean and the CSRs I spoke to identified themselves as Royal Caribbean. I found it to be a very confusing and frustrating end to a nice cruise.

Big difference between it going missing at the port and accidentally leaving it behind. Apples and oranges.