CC's New Look

TiogaCruiser

Is there a quick way to return to the Board homepage (i.e.: HAL page) without using the back button?

I used to use the breadcrumb trail at the top. Now it's the Boards Home (much "higher" than I want, and if the thread is several pages long and I have read them serially, or posted, it's a long way "back."

Edited by TiogaCruiser

There wasn't that I could see when I looked as part of the test group. The "forum jump" at the bottom of the page was gone, too. :(

Unless this was an oversight, and has been corrected, it's not going to be easy to get back to the forum you were reading when the new format goes live.

My thought was to open a thread in a new window, then close out when done with the thread, and move along in the original window. Cumbersome, but it might do the job.

The new look reminded me of tap a talk.

I don't mind using it at times (especially for pics) but I prefer the current layout.

I noticed the same things as part of the "test" group that RuthC did.

Plus you had to expand signatures if you wanted to see them. Kind of a pain.

Interesting the note from Laura as part of the test group finally disappeared but I found myself stuck on the new format in Chrome. Using edge I was not.

I logged out and back in and I was back to the old format. Very strange.

FWIW, I did send in my feedback.

It sounds like what Ruth is seeing is the same as what I am seeing on my iPhone. The interface converted to the new one mid morning on me. I am not on the test pages on my iPhone: I am on the HAL board.

Interesting that my iPad is still using the old interface. My Windows machine I'd

is turned off for the night now, so who knows which I would get on it.

There is a section above that has these words:

Cruise Critic > Boards > Cruise lines "A - O" > Holland America > CC's New Look

I just go back up to that link and click onto "Holland America".

I used to too. It's not currently a feature in the new interface.

I noticed that I can still scroll down and see "Holland America" in a box and "GO" that I can click on and return to all threads.

I tried many things when we got the test run a couple of weeks ago.

Is this at the bottom of the page? I'll have to look.

I was part of the "Test" forum as well and had not had time to write my review of the new forum layout. I actually was going to do it this weekend They did not give a date when the testing was ending. The BIG Major problem is not have the User CP. I use that constantly. I have my favorite cruise lines forums there as well as to check on Threads I am subscribed to. I could not find anything like that in the new format. Fortunately for right now I am still seeing the old format. Sadly once that goes away, I probably will not frequent CC any longer. The new format is just not user friend and takes too many steps to get to where I want to be. :o:(

I didn't know anything about this. Now I have noticed the New Look site I'm afraid to click on it!

I do have CC bookmarked on my MacBook (it actually takes me to the first page of the HAL forum) - hope that will take me back to the HAL page in the future.

Tried Jacques trick and logged out, then back in.

This time I got the classic interface. The new one is really annoying (because of no way to return easily to the board). And not IPhone 6 friendly. The fonts are too big and you have to scroll a lot.. With the classic format if they are too small you can control by pinching.

The only pro I found was the smilies were under the new posting area and not to the side.

I was part of the "Test" forum as well and had not had time to write my review of the new forum layout. I actually was going to do it this weekend They did not give a date when the testing was ending. The BIG Major problem is not have the User CP. I use that constantly. I have my favorite cruise lines forums there as well as to check on Threads I am subscribed to. I could not find anything like that in the new format. Fortunately for right now I am still seeing the old format. Sadly once that goes away, I probably will not frequent CC any longer. The new format is just not user friend and takes too many steps to get to where I want to be. :o:(

When I got "stuck" in the new format I was actually at User CP,. It's under where your LAFFNVEGAS is with the arrow. (Just in case we end up with the new format)

It seems everyone who was selected for the test pilot didn't like it so far. So why are we even seeing it now if alll the negative (so far) was negative?

My thought was to open a thread in a new window, then close out when done with the thread, and move along in the original window.
I felt the same way about the old design, and have been control-clicking to open threads for as long as I can remember, opening a new tab (rather than a new window, but same difference) to read a thread, then closing that tab returning me to the forum's thread list (or my subscriptions list).

Now I have noticed the New Look site I'm afraid to click on it!
I doubt that this is just a "New Look". The work involved to bring something like this about is simply not worth it for appearance sake. My understanding is that the switch is to new software. Many larger forums have had to make this kind of switch because their older software simply could not scale adequately given the increasing number of users and increasing amount of content being generated by each user. The improvement, therefore, is a matter of figuratively keeping the servers from being over-taxed.

I wasn't part of the test group, and was generally concerned about the switch, because from the small glimpse I saw it looked like it was going to be like some forum software that I really don't like. Using it now, it seems to be quite different from those, and really quite an improvement over what was: The user interface is lighter weight and more responsive. I especially like how I had to revert my browser back to 100% zoom to use the new forum software: With the old software the text was so hard to read that I actually read CC at 150% zoom!

I love the fact that the signature is limited by default.

For now, there should be a way to get back the classic format.

1. Click on the Control Panel (In the new format it should be by your avitar at the upper right hand corner of the screen).

2. Click on "Edit Options".

3. Go to the bottom of the page to Skins

4. Click on Default skin. You may need to click a different skin and Then go back and click on Default skin again. A little bit of persistence may be needed.

5. It looks like you need to do this for each device where the new format pops up.

I suspect eventually the new format will be the default; then I hope there's an option for Classic Skin.

Roy

I have no idea what the new format is but from the comments here, it does not sound good. A non-travel forum I belong to, changed the format recently due to a software upgrade, and it has been a problem and not user friendly. I fear CC is going the some way. It is hard to teach this old dog new tricks.

1. Click on the Control Panel (In the new format it should be by your avitar at the upper right hand corner of the screen).

4. Click on Default skin. You may need to click a different skin and Then go back and click on Default skin again. A little bit of persistence may be needed.

5. It looks like you need to do this for each device where the new format pops up.

I suspect eventually the new format will be the default; then I hope there's an option for Classic Skin.

Roy

THANK YOU!!! Thank you so much for the directions to get the "old" view back.

Roy

Thank you, Roy.

I found the default forum and got back to the old style.

Count me in as another who isn't impressed with the new forum.

Am I the only one that does not see a change? My screen looks just like it has for the last many years. I did go to the "Test" page yesterday and looked at it. I liked a few things but not others. Maybe with the many negative comments they will do more testing or modifications before releasing the new version.

Am I the only one that does not see a change? My screen looks just like it has for the last many years.

I use a laptop, and my CC screens are the old version, but there have been a couple of tiny changes.:

The announcement that there will be a new look is gone, along with the link to it. Also, the opportunity to report findings from the test is gone.

So, they are moving along with this. Hopefully, some of the missing parts that were well used before will be put back. Hopefully.