So how nasty is that new free sparkling wine for Latitudes members?

Knowing Norwegian, they wouldn't be doing this unless they got a good supply deal on some CHEAP wine.

We have gotten the free bottle, previously for Platinum, for the last few cruises. We are not sparkling fans. We have been able to exchange it at a restaurant for a bottle of the house wine (merlot). There is no corkage fee for doing so. I am hopeful that option will continue with the new benefit for all.

I assume that most who have responded had the "old style" champagne or sparkling wine. My last (4) sailings (both in 2016), before last week, it was OK. My friends and I had 4 bottles during our last cruise and we all agreed it was better than expected. It was French and I don't remember the name.

Last week I sailed on the Escape and we had (3) bottles of DUC DE VALMER BRUT SPARKLING WINE. I assume this is the new offering. It was beyond awful. To me, vinegar came to mind. I don't think OJ could have saved it, but didn't try it. It's possible it was a "bad" bottle, but we didn't open anymore to find out. I have never tasted a worse wine/champagne.EVER. I took a pic of it to remind me never to drink it again LOL Background: I love champagne and drink it often. I drink $10-100+ bottles. I have no problem with some inexpensive champagnes; Korbel @ approx $10-12 is one of my favorites. Barefoot Bubbly (which is approx $8 is drinkable to me.

We were just on Breakaway prior to the new program. Though we generally do trade out for wine, this time we did not, nor did we drink it onboard. Brought it home so I just checked and it is "Duc de Valmer" Brut Sparkling. So not sure they made a switch for the new program. Seems to be what we've received before. We can't recall French champagne as a regular Plat. perk in our sailings but sounds like you may have had a different experience.

ottmar here asked about this being offered for Bronze. Yes, it is an expanded perk to include more levels under the revised Latitudes program . From what we understood onboard, the regular large group Latitudes party will not be offered so the bottle of bubbly was put in instead. There still will be an "exclusive" gathering (I believe the terms & conditions state silver and above) so assume that will be something like the current wine & cheese parties or some kind of cocktail event. We will know more as those under the new program share their experiences and all the details.

Yes' date=' it is an expanded perk to include more levels under the revised Latitudes program . From what we understood onboard, the regular large group Latitudes party will not be offered so the bottle of bubbly was put in instead. There still will be an "exclusive" gathering (I believe the terms & conditions state silver and above) so assume that will be something like the current wine & cheese parties or some kind of cocktail event. We will know more as those under the new program share their experiences and all the details.[/quote']

Yes, that is certainly the official line.

From the FAQ's

Is there still a cocktail party on board?

There is still an exclusive cocktail party for Silver, Gold, Platinum, Platinum Plus & Ambassador members. Simply present your keycard to attend.

The cocktail party for Bronze members and above will no longer be offered as part of the Latitudes Rewards benefits because some ships were unable to host the larger party on board and therefore many of our valued loyal guests were not receiving this benefit. But now all Latitudes Rewards members will receive a bottle of sparkling wine in their stateroom to welcome them back to Norwegian.

They give you a similar lamentable offering on Cunard, "Pol Acker".

http://www.tastedonline.com/sparkling-wine/pol-acker-blanc-de-blancs-brut-sparkling-wine/

Why do they bother?

It's like going to a friend's posh dinner party with a bottle of Two Buck Chuck!

Got all-inclusive drinks on our next NCL trip, so I won't be drinking any sham-pagne, just the real stuff!

Maybe I'll donate my bottle to my steward.

11% alcohol content. What's not to like?

Love it. Generally I'm team "wine is fine but liquor's quicker" so that alcohol content is important.

Generally I agree with all the posters who say if you don't like it or can't appreciate simply don't drink it. 99 problems but sparkling wine shouldn't be one of them.

I understand that not everyone likes the sparkling wine but so, for our cruise in April, we're going to have a Mimosa Breakfast. Those of us who've cruised before will just bring our bottles of the sparkling wine and share it with the newbies. It'll give the new cruisers a chance to enjoy a mimosa and help use up the wine.:D

I did not read this whole thread, but I got the gist that all past cruisers get a bottle of sparkling wine? Is this correct?

Yes. I won't look a gift horse in the mouth, and I'll enjoy every single drop. If it's all that terrible, I'll still appreciate the gesture, then go get some OJ!

Ha Ha Ha

Back when I was 19.

We all like Ripple and or Tango :eek:

What's the word, "Thunderbird" !

When I was 14, I drank anything.:evilsmile:

From our recent Gem cruise, with the UDP, DW made me take the gift bottle home.

It's still in the fridge.

Yes. I won't look a gift horse in the mouth, and I'll enjoy every single drop. If it's all that terrible, I'll still appreciate the gesture, then go get some OJ!

I have the Drink Package, by my friend and I like to have a glass of wine in the room while getting dressed so this is great!

It was the same wine we have gotten for several years. Although in years past they would allow you to swap it for a house red or white in the MDR and now it's not permitted. We got oj at the buffet and made mimosas and it was fine Fr that.

FYI it is the same bubbly they give away at drawings, etc onboard.

I understand that not everyone likes the sparkling wine but so, for our cruise in April, we're going to have a Mimosa Breakfast. Those of us who've cruised before will just bring our bottles of the sparkling wine and share it with the newbies. It'll give the new cruisers a chance to enjoy a mimosa and help use up the wine.:D

This is the BEST idea I have seen in a very long time!

I believe we will do this at least once during our cruise. I will post it to the roll call group to see how many people are interested. I'll also bring it up at our meet and greet!

Thanks for the wonderful idea, and for coming up with a thoughtful way to use our free sparkling wine!

I'm thinking an even better idea is to bring the bottles to the Meet and Greet - Norwegian usually provides OJ and nibbles....so suddenly rather than having to ask to have a bartender on duty for the meeting and greet as I usually do, we will BYOB!:D