Great cruise but no steel drum or Caribbean musics

Mrearl

:)We had a great time on the Equinox Feb 10th cruise food was great along the staff and crew the only thing missing was live steel drum music which we have had on other lines, when we sailed the Caribbean. I spoke to the cruise Director John and wrote on commit card and Jonh addresed the issue he stated that none of Celebrity's cruise have a steel drum players

The DJ did not play any Island music. The bands and classical musicians were great.

I would rate the cruise10

Yes I was glad to see younger couples on the Cruise

Edited by Mrearl
Miss spelling

I have asked that question for several years. I expected a steel drum band. No more.

Around the pool, we recently had "tributes" to Beatles, Beach Boys, Abba, etc. Organized by the DJ.

:)We had a great time on the Equinox Feb 10th cruise food was great along the staff and crew the only thing missing was live steel drum music which we have had on other lines, when we sailed the Caribbean. I spoke to the cruise Director John and wrote on commit card and Jonh addresed the issue he stated that none of Celebrity's cruise have a steel drum players

The DJ did not play any Island music. The bands and classical musicians were great.

Celebrity hasn't done steel drum music in years, I agree and wish they would bring it back on the Caribbean cruises.

Celebrity hasn't done steel drum music in years, I agree and wish they would bring it back on the Caribbean cruises.

Totally agree. It adds to the "cruise experience".

I didn't realize Celebrity wasn't doing Steel Drum anymore. I thought I was just out of luck when I was on the ship. I first hear Robert Symons on Equinox 6 years ago, and he was phenomenal. Wish they'd bring him (or others) back - especially on a Caribbean cruise!

Totally agree. It adds to the "cruise experience".

Howso?I get that it's a personal preference thing, but it just seems like something you'd see on The Love Boat, and I've never had a cruise where a bunch of B-list celebrities were looking for love. Its absence doesn't really impact the experience any more than the lack of ice sculptures does.

I wonder if Carnival Journeys have them. I know they still do big midnight buffets.

Howso?I get that it's a personal preference thing, but it just seems like something you'd see on The Love Boat, and I've never had a cruise where a bunch of B-list celebrities were looking for love. Its absence doesn't really impact the experience any more than the lack of ice sculptures does.

I wonder if Carnival Journeys have them. I know they still do big midnight buffets.

It's an attitude thing, you get on the ship and at sailaway you hear the steel drum band, gets you ready for the week. Sorry, but I can hear Adele at home, I haven't been to a sailaway in years largely because of the music played.

I agree that having Caribbean/Reggae music enhances the poolside experience on a cruise. Even if they only did it at sail away, it would be nice.

+1 for wishing they would bring back steel drum bands for Caribbean itineraries.

It's an attitude thing, you get on the ship and at sailaway you hear the steel drum band, gets you ready for the week. Sorry, but I can hear Adele at home, I haven't been to a sailaway in years largely because of the music played.

On our sailaway two weeks ago, the band played elevator type music. We were really surprised. There were very few people there.

Personal preference then, I guess. Getting to explore the ship is always the thing that puts me in the mood. I tend to always enjoy the live music, no matter what genre we're talking about. Loved the Great American Songbook act that was playing in the Rendez-Vous on my trip on the Connie last year.

I'm not a big attendee of the sailaway parties either, but it's more because I'm not fond of crowds like that.

I couldn't agree with you more about at least some kind of Caribbean or Reggae music. Sailing on the "high seas" while on a Caribbean cruise is so much enhanced while listening to such music poolside or on the upper, outside decks. I have said many times how much I miss it on Celebrity.

Years ago we enjoyed the steel drum music that was played on the pier as we came into port on the islands. I guess they played for the tips, maybe it didn't pay enough so it disappeared, on board the ship there always seems that there is something else to do than stand around and listen to music.

J.

I agree that having Caribbean/Reggae music enhances the poolside experience on a cruise. Even if they only did it at sail away, it would be nice.

+1 here too. Probably due to cost cutting-revenue enhancements. Band needs more rooms, food and pay. Really added to the exotic-ness of a cruise.

I haven't been on a Celebrity cruise and I wish they had the steel drum music out by the pool. It just makes me feel happy. Breeze, sunshine and the Caribbean just scream for the right music. I might have to bring my own and stick the earbuds in, close my eyes and pretend it's coming from a band in front of me. ;)

I feel the same way about the steel drum Caribbean music being missing on both Celebrity and on Carnival as well. On the last few cruises, the DW and i would grab some drinks and head to our veranda and play some Jimmy Buffett tunes on our little bluetooth speaker. BTW, on our last cruise, some of our neighbors asked us to turn the music up. Even without live music, the cruise dj can play this kind of music, but lately it seems that they don't.

I'd love to hear steel drums and other Caribbean music on Caribbean cruises both around the pool and in the bars. I've put it on my comment cards every time. The closest we've had was Hawaiian music on the Hawaii to Vancouver cruise. It was wonderful. Put me in the holiday mood right away.

Wow!! no Caribbean music? We are going in October. Our fondest memories onboard is getting into the beat! I thought all cruise lines do that. It is the reason why we booked the Caribbean.......

CARIB CRUISE ESSENTIALS:

Island Bands..live

Steel drum..ok but band better

Jimmy Buffet style music....

For Mexico cruises we love the traditional musicians and dancers they bring onboard

And we definitely miss the traditional Celeb theme song..Over the Rainbow. By Iz...Hearing that theme meant you were definitely on a cruise..or goung soon..

After Marco Polo ad it went downhill!

I feel the same way about the steel drum Caribbean music being missing on both Celebrity and on Carnival as well. On the last few cruises, the DW and i would grab some drinks and head to our veranda and play some Jimmy Buffett tunes on our little bluetooth speaker. BTW, on our last cruise, some of our neighbors asked us to turn the music up. Even without live music, the cruise dj can play this kind of music, but lately it seems that they don't.

Great idea on the iPhone, we just spent a week at new Margaritaville in St Thomas.

CARIB CRUISE ESSENTIALS:

Island Bands..live

For Mexico cruises we love the traditional musicians and dancers they bring onboard

And we definitely miss the traditional Celeb theme song..Over the Rainbow. By Iz...Hearing that theme meant you were definitely on a cruise..or goung soon..

After Marco Polo ad it went downhill!

I preferred the original theme song they played whenever you left a port. Beautiful instrumental. Came from an old Christopher Columbus movie, song was called Conquest of Paradise.

CARIB CRUISE ESSENTIALS:

Island Bands..live

!

You won't find any of the above on Celebrity with the exception of some Jimmy Buffet songs. No Mexican dancers in Cozumel. No visiting Mexican bands either. No steel drum music. No IZ songs.

The closest we heard was a DJ playing Beach Boys tribute.