Not a good cabin steward start today on the Conquest. (With once day service mention)

gtonda

My past three or four cruises with Carnival I notice a lot of small changes that is going on with the company especially in room service, dinning and entertainment. I didn't get to meet my steward until dinner the second day. During my last cruise a four day, we did not get room service at all. Carnival is cutting back on a lot of things except their cruise prices and fees. I am booked on Conquest in two weeks. Got to Go cruising.

No robes on Pride in January. He brought me one when I asked. I think that is really dumb. The ice issue was the beginning of all these changes. It's getting like a cheap motel.

If you speak to 5 different staff at GS you're likely to get 5 answers.

I'm an early riser for some stupid reason, usually 6:30am or so. I had the worst steward on Paradise. I spoke to him after my cabin wasn't done until I said something to him at 12:30pm the first sea day. I told him I'd be staying on board the following day and would appreciate earlier service as I need ice in my collapsable cooler. "Sure, you'll be first." Not done until 11:45am so I would go up to Lido for ice. He did this all week. Very frustrating when you see signs on other door Snoozin'.

On one other trip the steward was obnoxiously flirting with my then 16 y/o daughter who was a model. I said something to him but he kept doing it. I reported him to GS--should have spoken to hotel mgr--and gave him a negative review in the survery. I also cut his tip totally.

The OP should ask to meet with the Housekeeping Manager so that this does not get swept under the rug. It is unacceptable that they did not make up the couch for the kids and totally unacceptable that there were used sheets on it. The Steward is supposed to come by BEFORE you go to dinner and hand you the card that says Morning Evening or Both on it. It also gives you the opportunity to request ice and the robes. I would be livid if this happened to us. I have never pulled gratuities before, but I would probably pull them for this steward.

Just off the Miracle yesterday and received twice a day cabin service without being shown a preference card or asked what we preferred. Since we received the attention we have always enjoyed we left the auto-grats in place and tipped some more ( $$ ) on the last evening. We did have to ask for our welcome letters with drink coupons, pins and bottled waters. The room was quite dusty and set off allergies. Without requesting any special dust abatement the cabin was wet vacuumed and there was a fan in the room to dry out the carpet. We appreciated the extra effort but agreed the short staffing has led to generally dustier cabins than before the labor saving measures were put in place by management.

We have sailed the Conquest twice. The first time several years ago and the service throughout the ship was awful. decided to give it another shot a year later, service was just as bad if not worse. Not going to give the Conquest a third try. Personally, I think it is an issue of poor management on this ship and not an individual poor employee,

The OP showed a lot more patience with poor service than I would. Like some others I would have asked for a meeting with the Hotel Manager. I really hate it when the "once a day cleanings" saga rears it's ugly head. I actually thought it was a good idea conceptually...some cruisers like to stay out and party all night and not worry about the steward barging in at the crack of the sun so they came up with a badly worded card where you could choose out of the twice daily cleaning. Unfortunately, there have been many stories of some room stewards stating it was an either/or proposition...morning or evening but not both.

I confess I may be in the minority but I don't feel sorry for the room stewards. If, in fact, they now clean 35 cabins then they are doing pretty well financially especially when you throw in the free room and board. They get $4.05 per non-suite cabin so that's $141.75 daily and multiply that by 7 and they get $922.25 for a standard 7 day cruise. Of course, Carnival throws in a couple of extra bucks per hour so they're not arrested for slavery.:D Many of us leave more money in the cabin as an extra tip at the end. So, bottom line...cruisers pay the majority of their salaries. We should expect and demand outstanding service. Bad cabin stewards are kind of like Bigfoot...you hear about them but most of us have never seen one.

We had a 'steward from hell' on Princess. We left auto tips on but we wrote a scathing review. Reviews almost are better (or worse) than changing the tips. Reviews effect their contracts.

Especially for those who doesn't care about complaints by guest, even after frequent reminders.

I never had a cabin steward refresh pool towels. I just do that on lido myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

We put them on the bathroom floor every night with the wet bath towels and always get clean beach towels placed on the couch. I have never had to trade them in for clean ones on the Lido on Carnival.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that you are posting complaints here while you are cruising. On the list of things to do on a cruise, complaining on a message board ranks right up there with going to the medical center for kicks and giggles.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I got off the Conquest last Saturday and had a Grand Scenic Ocean View. The female steward was nice but seriously stressed.

She gave us a card to choose once or twice daily cleaning, we chose once to alleviate her work load.

But she was lacking. The cabin was not very clean when we boarded and we had to keep asking her for ice.

Our double sofa was not made up, but she explained that not everyone wants the beds out right away. Weird.

Third time on the Conquest and will probably be our last time. We enjoyed the cruise as we always do, but I will stick with other Carnival ships.

Our double sofa was not made up, but she explained that not everyone wants the beds out right away. Weird.

I didn't understand what you meant by Weird. I don't want the sofa turned into a bed until evening. I would like it to be a sofa during the day so that we can use it as a sofa when we are in and out of the room.

We speak with a smile but leave no doubt we expect morning service and evening towels, ice and Fun Times.

We let the steward know we appreciate them verbally when we see them during the trip and in some extra cash the last night .... as a tip for good service not a bribe :D

It is not a bribe when you tip on the last night. I always bribe them on the second day and then tip them on the last day...

It truly amazes me when people don't advocate for themselves.

We were on Splendor last week. (Yes, the sailing that lost the port engine and skipped two ports, but that's another post. We had a fabulous cruise and enjoyed our extra sea days very much.) We left a note for our cabin steward with our requests just in case we didn't meet him/her on the first day. We wrote that we wanted the cabin serviced twice a day, we wanted fresh ice twice a day, and a few other things. We did meet our cabin steward and his assistant later embarkation day and explained what we wanted again. We got what we wanted.

Instead of complaining, take the initiative and explain what you want.

As long as Carnival gives out bad service, is a good thing to see. Eventually, most people will finally realize that Carnival has really become WalMart of the Seas, and they will continue to hold that title, until posters stop saying things like, well, it really didn't ruin my cruise, having substandard service, because the poor people on the ship, are soooo overworked.....:')

As long as Carnival gives out bad service, is a good thing to see. Eventually, most people will finally realize that Carnival has really become WalMart of the Seas, and they will continue to hold that title, until posters stop saying things like, well, it really didn't ruin my cruise, having substandard service, because the poor people on the ship, are soooo overworked.....:')

Why do you bother posting here?

We were just on the Breeze out of Galveston on 2/12/2017, this was #17 with Carnival. Our room steward asked is we wanted morning or evening cleaning, I asked if we cold have both and the said no problem. I also asked if we could have some towels, there were none in the bathroom and a robe. Again, no problem. We dressed for dinner, came back to the room and the bed was folded back, and the beach towels we used were wet in the bathroom floor from when we showered. No bath towels, no robes.

I walked around to find our steward and went to take some towels off the cart and that person told me he would tell my steward to bring us some. 10:30, no towels, no robes. I called guest services and explained I would like to take a shower in the morning with dry towels. We got the towels at 11 pm, but still no robes. I am trying to keep humor in mind.

First sea day. Breakfast, wander around all morning, come back at 1pm and no dry towels, no robes and no clean room. Except, we had a towel animal on the bed. I guess the towel animal messed up the clean bed and decided to sit there and say, See What I Did!!!

My hubby was pissed by this time. Mainly because we still hadn't gotten the ice bucket filled yet from the request on Sunday. Then we had one day with no water and another day with no hot water. Awesome. Did we remove our tips? No, but it's the first time we didn't tip the room steward extra.

Why do you bother posting here?

What is really funny is that this person thinks that Carnival is the only cruise ship in which workers are overworked .... Do they actually think that some of the other cruise lines don't overwork their employees just as much as carnival does

Did we remove our tips? No, but it's the first time we didn't tip the room steward extra.

That's too bad you experienced all that, but that's when you should remove tips. It's the only language universally understood in the service industry. You clearly communicated your basic requests and were disrespected; yet still chose to pay the full rate. The service provider learns here that they can provide less than promised and still get paid.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that you are posting complaints here while you are cruising. On the list of things to do on a cruise, complaining on a message board ranks right up there with going to the medical center for kicks and giggles.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

E-oh, e-oh! (Sirens blaring)

Another chat board police officer telling people when and where they should be posting.

There's nothing for you to wrap YOUR head around, because it's MY vacation. See how easy that was?

Just so you can sleep easy tonight I will explain in a slow, simple manner. It was the first night, we turned in early, I purchased Internet because I have some assignments I have to turn in while we're gone. So as I laid in bed I logged on here to pass some time.

Now grab your bwankie, put your thumb in your mouth, and take your nap. Clear your mind of the worries of others using a computer on vacation.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

I didn't understand what you meant by Weird. I don't want the sofa turned into a bed until evening. I would like it to be a sofa during the day so that we can use it as a sofa when we are in and out of the room.

We definitely wouldn't want it made up upon boarding, but definitely at turndown. In fact, the only thing I don't like about this room (scenic ocean view, deck 9) is that when the sofa is pulled out, you have about 4" between it and the mirror area. They should've made the sofa bed about 10" shorter. Other than that, it's a good room.

It truly amazes me when people don't advocate for themselves.

We were on Splendor last week. (Yes, the sailing that lost the port engine and skipped two ports, but that's another post. We had a fabulous cruise and enjoyed our extra sea days very much.) We left a note for our cabin steward with our requests just in case we didn't meet him/her on the first day. We wrote that we wanted the cabin serviced twice a day, we wanted fresh ice twice a day, and a few other things. We did meet our cabin steward and his assistant later embarkation day and explained what we wanted again. We got what we wanted.

Instead of complaining, take the initiative and explain what you want.

I think you may be talking about people general, but if not.....in my case I did clearly communicate what I wanted, but had to trek down to GS to do it. Shouldn't be that way.