Pregnancy and Zika virus

hanes96

Going on a cruise in may to the Caribbean and I just found out I was pregnant I already called the doctor and he said it was fine and even called the cruise line to ask if their had been any cases of the Zika virus and they said no I should be fine any one ever cruise while pregnant to these places? Are the bugs bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've never run accross a lot of bugs, but I certainly wouldn't take the chance if I were pregnant, as it would only take one bite.

From the CDC website:

What we know

What we do not know

• If there’s a safe time during your pregnancy to travel to an area with Zika.
  • How likely it is that Zika infection will affect your pregnancy.
  • If your baby will have birth defects if you are infected while pregnant.

I would check the island that your cruise is planning on visiting and see what is said about the Zika virus there.

I've never run accross a lot of bugs, but I certainly wouldn't take the chance if I were pregnant, as it would only take one bite.

From the CDC website:

What we know

What we do not know

• If there’s a safe time during your pregnancy to travel to an area with Zika.
  • How likely it is that Zika infection will affect your pregnancy.
  • If your baby will have birth defects if you are infected while pregnant.

I would check the island that your cruise is planning on visiting and see what is said about the Zika virus there.

Given how much is unknown (meaning there is no way to guarantee "safety" for the fetus other than avoiding affected areas) *AND* the fact that the birth defects can be catastrophic, I certainly wouldn't do it, and I'd strongly urge anyone I knew/cared about not to go there.

Is there a cruise to another area you could take?

Or perhaps a land-based trip elsewhere, for this particular vacation?

There will be other cruises for you in the future!

Going on a cruise in may to the Caribbean and I just found out I was pregnant I already called the doctor and he said it was fine and even called the cruise line to ask if their had been any cases of the Zika virus and they said no I should be fine any one ever cruise while pregnant to these places? Are the bugs bad?

All you need for what has the potential to be the worst luck you may ever have is that one bug transmitting Zika.

All you need for what has the potential to be the worst luck you may ever have is that one bug transmitting Zika.

I would suggest you check the CDC sites concerning Zika transmission - which apparently is "possible" throughout the Caribbean - as well as in certain areas in south Florida. Where is you port of embarkation?

I did and the map of the United States and the islands below are all at risk which doesn't make sense because then that would mean we are all at the same level of risk I'm just so confused [emoji24] and port everglades in Florida

I would suggest you check the CDC sites concerning Zika transmission - which apparently is "possible" throughout the Caribbean - as well as in certain areas in south Florida. Where is you port of embarkation?

I did and the map of the United States and the islands below are all at risk which doesn't make sense because then that would mean we are all at the same level of risk I'm just so confused from what everyone is telling me and port everglades in Florida

I did and the map of the United States and the islands below are all at risk which doesn't make sense because then that would mean we are all at the same level of risk I'm just so confused from what everyone is telling me and port everglades in Florida

Faulty logic.

So the normal advice is to listen to your own physician. That being said, our DD's physician was very insistent that she avoid Mexico (and the Caribbean) while even trying to get pregnant...much less being pregnant. Here it the info from the US CDC:

Q: Should pregnant women travel to areas where Zika has been confirmed?

A: No. Pregnant women should not travel to any area with Zika. Travelers who go to places with outbreaks of Zika can be infected with Zika, and Zika infection during pregnancy can cause microcephaly and other severe fetal brain defects.

Enough said.

Hank

What people are sayig; It might be a slim chance that you will be affected by the Zika virus, but would you want to take that one chance which could affect the health of your child. If you are willing to take the chance, then go on the cruise. If you are not willing to take the chance, cancel your cruise.

That map showed countries with ANY Zika reports. If you look at the CDC map showing US reported cases, you will see that just two states had more than 1,000 cases - New York and Florida (at just over 1,000 each) - while Puerto Rico had over 36,000 --- hardly the "same level of risk".

Someone told you there were no cases of the Zika virus? According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there have now been 12 confirmed cases of babies born with microcephaly in the United States, and more than 400 pregnant woman in the continental US have evidence of Zika infection.Jul 22, 2016

Someone told you there were no cases of the Zika virus? According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there have now been 12 confirmed cases of babies born with microcephaly in the United States, and more than 400 pregnant woman in the continental US have evidence of Zika infection.Jul 22, 2016

Good thing to point out: I am amazed by the lack of concern shown (or reported to be shown) by people: doctor, cruise line, expectant mother, whoever - when it comes to someone deciding that maybe going on a cruise can wait.

I'm not sure why the doctor would call the cruiseline rather than the CDC. Just doesn't make sense. Those of us who know that you could call the cruiseline three different times with the same question and receive three different responses would know that this is not the place to go for such important information.

This week is my spring break (I am a teacher) and I would love nothing more than to be on a cruise like I was this time last year!! But I a, pregnant, so I am skipping the Caribbean. Instead I am planning a trip to NYC in June and planning a cruise for next year which my then 9 month old will be able to go on too. The only places I would consider sailing in May from the US are Alaska, Hawaii, California coast, Canada/New England, or Bermuda.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...

It's better to avoid any visits to those areas to exlude any risk of getting Zika. Zika symptoms are mild and birth defects in fetus are rare cases. Unfortunately, Zika virus testing is hard to get even in case of having any symptoms related to it.

Seeing you asked the question, OP,

there is zip, zero, NO chance I would think of cruising the Caibbeean to a known n Zika risk location if I knew I was pregnant t Have you googled zika and read reporrts and seen photos of what one mosquito bite from a zika carrying bug can do to a fetus. WHAT vacation could ever be worth that? Answer: none, Percentage of risk? Any risk is too high.