Have any of you tried Celebrity Equinox or Silhouette??

kelbre

Hello everyone:) We have never cruised Celebrity before and are looking at either the Celebrity Equinox or Celebrity Silhouette next March 2018. Yes, I know, I'm waaayyy ahead of the game but we know we definately want to try this line and we already know our kids proposed school break and we like the idea of booking well ahead of time. My daughter will be first year college and it will actually be the same time as our high school, I'm so pumped!!!! I'm going away with my teenage son to Cuba on Monday with my sis in law and family friends. My hubby and daughter are staying behind to work. My hubby does not like resorts, he/we LOVE to cruise!!! he has a very busy week of work. My daughter is a server/supervisor at a local restaurant and we have a big week long hockey tournament this week so she wanted to stay back and work and make extra money for school (pretty darn proud of her for that, BUT, this will be my first march break in about 10 years, that I have not had her with me) We have sailed Carnival x 4, Princess x 2, and RCCL x 2 and now time to try Celebrity:) I'm just trying to compare the two. We are leaning toward equinox because of the itinerary, love grand caymen and cozumel. It goes out of Miami but we already know we would stay in fort lauderdale and take a transfer. we lOVE fort lauderdale!!!! I'm also just not sure of how many teenagers will be on board. We have a 15 year old boy (will be almost 16 at time of sailing) and our daughter will be 19. I'm hoping there will be a few teens on board. A lot of high schools in Canada have different spring breaks than us. Anyway, sorry for the book, lol!! any info would be great!! thanks so much!! -Kathy

Hi kelbre

You will find that the 2 ships are almost identical both the same class of ship. I would go for the best itinerary. We have been on many celebrity cruises and the one thing we find is that there are few to no kids. You will find a few very young toddlers but very few teenagers. It will most likely depend on the time of year and the length of the cruise. You might find more kids on cruises of 7 days. If your kids want to hang out with their parents then it shouldn't be a problem. Compared to the Norwegian cruises we did, I would say celebrity has no kids.

Just my experiences but we don't tend to travel on cruises during march break.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We're trying Celebrity for the first time in June. We normally cruise Royal. My Grandson has been cruising since he was 3 and is now 23. He is taking a friend. He's very laid back and has never participated in the teen club or kids club. He always had a friend or relative around his age that went with us and they just enjoyed the arcade and pool more than anything else. He got tired of the line and the wait at the things like the FloRider and slides. I think it just depends on their interests.

You might also want to look at the Roll Calls for the cruises you are looking at to see if anyone there has a teenager.

We just got off the Equinox 2/20/17 sailing, 11 nights from FLL, that included New Orleans for Mardi Gras. We had 2 16 yr olds, and 4 younger kids (2 of which were with crew). May be more on the 7 night cruises, but if you are looking at 10/11 night cruises, very few teens.

I would say Celebrity is nearly kid free on nearly every sailing on which I have been on but we tend to choose 10 and 11 night itineraries. We went with our neighbor just a couple of weeks ago and she was 26 .... and I would be willing to bet she was just about the youngest person onboard. You will find many more kids and teenagers on Royal Caribbean but would also say you would probably find Celebrity to be amazing.

These S class ships have a lawn up on the top deck and they will set up bocci ball or croquet which might be fun for your teenager. They also have a hot glass show which might also appeal to the entire family. They don't have things like a rock climbing wall or a flow rider, though. Most all activities are geared more towards adults and the average age of the cruises I've sailed on on Celebrity is about 60. But, as I've said, we usually don't sail on 7 day cruises so that might make a difference.

You won't be disappointed with either Equinox or Silhouette.

I've been on both and would happily go on either again (and again).

Given the similarity, I would base your choice on itinerary and/or costs....not wondering if one ship is 'better' than the other.

Thanks everyone for your input:) Yes, both itineraries are 7 days, one is March 10th & one is March 11th. Would LOVE to do a 10 night (we did 10 night Emerald Princess) but with schedules week will be all we can do. We are definately planning on a couple days pre-cruise fort lauderdale. The Equinox is out of Miami but we would just transfer to port from fort lauderdale. We did grand cayman and cozumel two years ago on freedom of the seas but haven't been to costa maya since 2005 and never ported in key west. The silhouette does st thomas, st maarten and san juan, and while we love st thomas, we didn't have good experience in st maarten and didn't do much in san juan when we were there in 2008 on caribbean princess. There is a chance my sister in law and her boys might join us but not sure. My son is the type of kid that can pretty much meet friends wherever he goes, even if he doesn't have friends he's traveling with.

We have sailed the Silhouette twice on European Itineraries, and we did the Equinox 11 day Easter cruise last year. Yes, they are basically the same ship, the Equinox has the Hot Glass Blowing area on the lawn club deck. The staff that run it are young interns and there are several sessions( not just one show repeated) so your teens and young adult might find it interesting and also might engage these young people in conversation and might be able to socialize later, as these folks are not equinox staff. We had about 50-75 kids on the Equinox for Easter, but. It was an 11 day cruise that does not attract families. That being said, there where more than a few young couples with infants and toddlers in strollers. I think I would select the Equinox and do St. John instead of st Thomas. Trunk Bay in the National Park is magnificent. If you are in. St. Martin late into the evening we did a Sunset sail on one of the tall ships that came over from Germany. Your teens and young adult woul love this as the staff is not much older than they are.

We have been on both and I agree, go for the itenerary you like best. I will side with Knolmom about the Equinox and the Hot Glass Show- awesome what they can do at sea, we watched so many of the shows. Otherwise the ships are very similar and both outstanding.

Bev

Sent from my SM-T900 using Forums mobile app

We generally do 7 day cruises. There have been very few, if any, older teens on board Celebrity ships. If you are looking for teens, then look to Royal Caribbean. That is what we did for our child who was about the same age.

Both ships you mention are great for adults.

Our teens have been on both ships - Equinox more than once and we are back on her again next year. It really does depend on the time of year and location you are sailing as to how many other teens are onboard. If you sail The Med in July/August, irrespective of the length of cruise, you will find more children onboard (same too for Christmas holiday sailings). If the March cruise falls in the Easter break, again there will be more kids but not as many as you see on Royal ;). The teens tend to find each other and 'hang out'. Your DS should attend the first night meet and greet to make friends.

The ships are very similar, however Silhouette is more of a favourite of ours. She doesn't have the hot glass show, but there is the Lawn Club Grill which our teens enjoy.

Hello everyone:) We have never cruised Celebrity before and are looking at either the Celebrity Equinox or Celebrity Silhouette next March 2018. Yes, I know, I'm waaayyy ahead of the game but we know we definately want to try this line and we already know our kids proposed school break and we like the idea of booking well ahead of time. My daughter will be first year college and it will actually be the same time as our high school, I'm so pumped!!!! I'm going away with my teenage son to Cuba on Monday with my sis in law and family friends. My hubby and daughter are staying behind to work. My hubby does not like resorts, he/we LOVE to cruise!!! he has a very busy week of work. My daughter is a server/supervisor at a local restaurant and we have a big week long hockey tournament this week so she wanted to stay back and work and make extra money for school (pretty darn proud of her for that, BUT, this will be my first march break in about 10 years, that I have not had her with me) We have sailed Carnival x 4, Princess x 2, and RCCL x 2 and now time to try Celebrity:) I'm just trying to compare the two. We are leaning toward equinox because of the itinerary, love grand caymen and cozumel. It goes out of Miami but we already know we would stay in fort lauderdale and take a transfer. we lOVE fort lauderdale!!!! I'm also just not sure of how many teenagers will be on board. We have a 15 year old boy (will be almost 16 at time of sailing) and our daughter will be 19. I'm hoping there will be a few teens on board. A lot of high schools in Canada have different spring breaks than us. Anyway, sorry for the book, lol!! any info would be great!! thanks so much!! -Kathy

I'm thinking X will be rather dull for your kids. Currently onboard Regal Princess and it is very unexciting this time. Celebrity Equinox will be even more laid back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for your input:) Yes, both itineraries are 7 days, one is March 10th & one is March 11th.

Was just going to ask about dates.

This is somewhat new ground for Celebrity, as they have not had a Ship doing full time year round sailings to the Carribean since early 2000/2001, which the Equinox is doing beginning this season.

We are on her for the 3rd time this yr, excellent ship, the Silhouette has a few different features, but the design and floor plans are basically the same.

7 day, spring break, both should have more 'younger' passengers then, over the times school is in session.

ps: our DD now 35, first sailed RCCL in 1998 or 99, first Celebrity in 1994, HAL, NCL, Cunard also, and went to work for RCCL on ship in 2004. We took her on the Freedom of the Sea in 2011, and all week she said we should have book Celebrity.

I haven't sailed on Silhouette, but I have sailed on Equinox and it was the worst Celebrity I've been on for both food and service. Given the choice, I'd take the unknown of Silhouette. I'd rather do St. Thomas, St. Martin and San Juan over Mexico any day.

I haven't sailed on Silhouette, but I have sailed on Equinox and it was the worst Celebrity I've been on for both food and service. Given the choice, I'd take the unknown of Silhouette. I'd rather do St. Thomas, St. Martin and San Juan over Mexico any day.

Hmmmm. Very strange, as I have read nothing but great reviews on the food and service. Hopefully this was just a fluke.

We recently sailed on Equinox this past Sept. and the Mardi Gras cruise in Feb. Your children would be much happier on a line that caters to families. On both the cruises combined, I saw one child.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hmmmm. Very strange, as I have read nothing but great reviews on the food and service. Hopefully this was just a fluke.

There were a bunch of folks on our Equinox trip (Nov 2016) that felt the same way. Not up to Celebrity's standard. Waiters were run off their feet. Wine stewards who didn't bring the wine we ordered. Long lines at the Service desk, then zero service provided. A 'not my job' vibe throughout the ship. Some bad meals in the MDR. Long lines to get into the MDR on the first 3 nights, even tho we had reservations. Quite frankly we got better service on Carnival. :(

We're taking our first Celebrity cruise after having been on numerous cruises on Royal. We're taking the Grandson and a friend. My Grandson is Diamond on Royal on his own points. He's looking forward to a different menu and loves the ports, which include Cozumel and Key West (where he was born 23 years ago). He loves the ports. You might look into doing the Cozumel Amazing Race in Cozumel. I think the teens would enjoy it and it's lots of fun. Lots of families of all ages competing. If you've seen the TV show (The Amazing Race) it's based on this. If they are competitive, they'll racing around Cozumel solving clues and competing with about 20 other teams. Teams can be any number of people and ages. Try checking it out. We did it last year and LOVED it. In Key West, there are tons of options which should interest them including the shops on Duval St., the Mel Fisher museum, which is a display of the bounty/treasure found from sunken ships. You also have to try the Key Lime Pie (frozen, dipped in chocolate). Try one of the HOHO tours.

We have done both ships numerous times and the Equinox as recently as last month on a B2B (10/11 day). The Silhouette (7day) was last December (2016) and Thanksgiving week in 2015; we have also done transatlantics on both. As we are retired (late 60s), most cruises have been 10+ days with very few people under drinking age!

The Silhouette was during a school week so again there were few younger people aboard, but Thanksgiving week there were about 150. Not like RCCL when we take the grandkids and there are masses.

Both ships are very comfortable and accommodate all age groups - I think that is why Celebrity has switched the Equinox from the 10/11 (we are doing another 11 day on 5/15/17) day schedule to attract a more youthful passenger. The stops on the eastern are tired and used to frequently while the western is still worth exploring and Key West is a great stop for everyone.

Hal

We have done both ships numerous times and the Equinox as recently as last month on a B2B (10/11 day). The Silhouette (7day) was last December (2016) and Thanksgiving week in 2015; we have also done transatlantics on both. As we are retired (late 60s), most cruises have been 10+ days with very few people under drinking age!

The Silhouette was during a school week so again there were few younger people aboard, but Thanksgiving week there were about 150. Not like RCCL when we take the grandkids and there are masses.

Both ships are very comfortable and accommodate all age groups - I think that is why Celebrity has switched the Equinox from the 10/11 (we are doing another 11 day on 5/15/17) day schedule to attract a more youthful passenger. The stops on the eastern are tired and used to frequently while the western is still worth exploring and Key West is a great stop for everyone.

Hal

Thank You!!! How did you find the service and food on the Equinox?

The service is always good to excellent in both the mdrm and Blu.

During our 21 nights we ate in the mdrm with friends 7 nights, and the buffet 1 night, and the remainder in Blu (we were Aqua). Bar service is subject to location as the martini bar is always crowded in the evening other venues vary.

Hal

We have sailed on all Celebrity ships a number of times and we have found that you can not predict the level of service nor the quality of food. There are slight differences depending on the chef and the hotel director. Staff and crew are constantly changing between ships and if a ship gets too many weak reviews, head office will do their best to correct inconsistencies. In 6 weeks we will board Silhouette for a Transatlantic and Baltic run lasting 4 weeks. However next February we plan to make Equinox our winter condo (6 weeks) because we look forward to sailing with the officers on board. We have just returned from 7 weeks on board Celebrity Reflection alternating between East and West Caribbean itineraries. The run to the East is a bit rougher because San Juan is just a bit too far for early arrival, in the west Cayman can be tough because it is a tender port. If you wish to visit ruins, go for the west.

You cannot go wrong with either ship because there are more similarities than differences. Look at the ports you wish to visit, the excursions you wish to take. These are not ships for teens nor children but young adults will love them.

By the way, in 7 weeks we only left the ship 3 times for a little shopping. We love shipboard life, the ports are inconsequential for us.

PS: Silhouette just received Celebrity's award for best ship in the fleet last year.

We have sailed on all Celebrity ships a number of times and we have found that you can not predict the level of service nor the quality of food. There are slight differences depending on the chef and the hotel director. Staff and crew are constantly changing between ships and if a ship gets too many weak reviews, head office will do their best to correct inconsistencies. In 6 weeks we will board Silhouette for a Transatlantic and Baltic run lasting 4 weeks. However next February we plan to make Equinox our winter condo (6 weeks) because we look forward to sailing with the officers on board. We have just returned from 7 weeks on board Celebrity Reflection alternating between East and West Caribbean itineraries. The run to the East is a bit rougher because San Juan is just a bit too far for early arrival, in the west Cayman can be tough because it is a tender port. If you wish to visit ruins, go for the west.

You cannot go wrong with either ship because there are more similarities than differences. Look at the ports you wish to visit, the excursions you wish to take. These are not ships for teens nor children but young adults will love them.

By the way, in 7 weeks we only left the ship 3 times for a little shopping. We love shipboard life, the ports are inconsequential for us.

PS: Silhouette just received Celebrity's award for best ship in the fleet last year.

Have cruised on both ships and will be back on the Silhouette this coming December for a 9 day cruise. The Equinox was the first X vessel that I cruised on and I was completely taken by the X in terms of service, food, and beauty of the vessel. There are many here on CC who are much more experienced that I when it comes to cruising and have very high expectations. I, on the other hand, have never had a "bad" cruise and am just grateful that I am able to cruise and travel fairly often and appreciate the vessel staff that try to make my cruising enjoyable. Of course, I'm the type that can sit on my balcony for hours and be perfectly content! Like others, if I were you I'd pick the itinerary that seems the most appealing to you and just go and have a wonderful time. :)

We've been on all the S-Class ships, many more than once. We have taken our young adult children a couple of times. Either would be great, as long as your kids know there is no slide or climbing wall. Ours take along books to read and a couple of card or board games.

I would choose based on where you wish to visit.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk