How do we fix this?

QuakerBoy

It's quite annoying to be reading a review with lots of great photos when a certain post gets replied to with the entire stream of photos reposted again. Isn't there an easier way to do this? We've already seen the pictures, why have them fill half a page all over again?

It's pretty simple: Just reply, don't quote. Especially if you're replying to the OP who posted all those photos. We assume you're replying to them! No reason to quote them in their own thread.

Unfortunately, this is the forum version of "reply all". I don't think most people have any idea how much it increases the size of the thread. I'm quite certain that no one (or one in several thousand) does it intentionally.

It's quite annoying to be reading a review with lots of great photos when a certain post gets replied to with the entire stream of photos reposted again. Isn't there an easier way to do this?

Easy peasy. Just hit the quote, then highlight the pictures or text you don't want to pass on, then hit delete. This is what I did to the OPs last sentence. Sadly, most responders won't take the time to do this.

I think many people are still using the 'reply' arrow in the lower right of the box. But when I do that, it quotes what is above. But I don't need to use the reply arrow, just go and type in the box. Just one improvement with the forum update. EM

I think many people are still using the 'reply' arrow in the lower right of the box. But when I do that, it quotes what is above. But I don't need to use the reply arrow, just go and type in the box. Just one improvement with the forum update. EM

You can use the reply arrow, just then delete the part you do not want repeated.

You can use the reply arrow, just then delete the part you do not want repeated.

Actually, the easiest is to use the "Post Reply" button at the bottom. That doesn't quote anything.

Is the reply button on the actual post a new feature? I don't remember that before, but if you use that button rather than the big blue "Post Reply" button, it definitely quotes.

Actually, the easiest is to use the "Post Reply" button at the bottom. That doesn't quote anything.

Is the reply button on the actual post a new feature? I don't remember that before, but if you use that button rather than the big blue "Post Reply" button, it definitely quotes.

I'm one of those people....:') thanks for the tip!

It would be best to simply READ the review without making comments at all...at least until the review is completed.....then post your comments! Very annoying when you have to scroll past 10 comments of "Thanks....following", or something similar! Wait until the reviewer has finished posting the entire thing....THEN make your comments!!!

It would be best to simply READ the review without making comments at all...at least until the review is completed.....then post your comments! Very annoying when you have to scroll past 10 comments of "Thanks....following", or something similar! Wait until the reviewer has finished posting the entire thing....THEN make your comments!!!

Or the reviewer can type it all up first, break it into segments as you can only add 6 photos per comment, and post the entire review in about 10 minutes.

Essentially would be the same as your idea, but it wouldn't take 3-4 weeks for some of these OPs to write a review for an 8 night Southern Caribbean cruise. That's what annoys me the most is reading reviews over a few weeks time and trying to remember the last segment I read.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Wait until they're finished a report that could well be 20 pages long, and then post a comment about something that occurred on page 1 or 2, with no quote? Yeah, that wouldn't be ridiculous or confusing.:rolleyes:

While I find the repitition of photos irksome, ( and wish more people knew how to simply quote relevant text, and then, only to provide context), I don't see a problem with comments between the trip report posts.

That's what annoys me the most is reading reviews over a few weeks time and trying to remember the last segment I read.

See what I did there?

Just click on the "View First Unread Post" at the beginning of the thread

She demonstrated how easy it is to quote only part of a previous post.

Ok, and I know how to do that. It's pretty self explanatory while quoting, but them showing me that didn't really have anything to do with their response or the quoted part.

I didn't know there was an only see new option. I've never seen it on mobile unless you have subscribed or comment on a thread and then it does it automatically.

That doesn't change the fact that you may not remember what you last read when a review is being updated every 3-4 days.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Start your sentence with square brackets with quote in between.

End with square bracket then / then quote, finish with square bracket.

Then Copy and paste what you want to quote in between.

I believe you meant to say:

[noparse]Start your sentence with

. Then Copy and paste what you want to quote in between. [/noparse]

Mike

Exactly.

But when I put the [ ] with quote in between it highlighted the sentence withought explanation like so:

Yup. [noparse] is your friend. It will allow you to insert tags in your text, without interpreting them.

I understand the initial complaint, how many times do we see a response include multiple pictures and the only comment is 'Thanks' !

I am a bit puzzled - the 'quote' and 'reply' seem to do the same thing - in the previous format didn't 'reply' not include the prior post ?

I like the 'Quick Reply' at the end of the thread and see it includes an option to 'quote'. Seems to make Quote and Reply redundant except you have to go to end of thread to see it right ?

OK I see 'Quick Reply' is at the end of each page.

What does "+ do ?

It's quite annoying to be reading a review with lots of great photos when a certain post gets replied to with the entire stream of photos reposted again. Isn't there an easier way to do this? We've already seen the pictures, why have them fill half a page all over again?

"+ let's you quote multiple posts in your reply.

Thanks for clarification of "+. neat.

However Quote and Reply in bottom right of comment seem to do the same thing and as shown above includes the OP and your comment. The 'Post Reply' box includes the OP. I clicked "+ and it just changed to "- - don't see how to use it.

When I want to quote something, I simply Copy the text what I want to quote by highlighting the text and then right clicking - Hit Copy. Then click on "Post Reply" and use the quote button (yellow box with quote tail) located in the Message box header.

This will show up. [ quote ] [ /quote ]

Then Paste your text in between the two Quote boxes like shown below.

[ quote ] I believe you meant to say: [ /quote ]

By using this method, you can quote as many comments as you want in just one post. Whereas the forum only gives the option to multi-quote twice. I usually use the two given quote options (click on and highlight the "+ "Multi-Quote this Post" button option located at the bottom of posters text box.) and then start quoting with the above method.

Originally posted bymandream

"+ let's you quote multiple posts in your reply.

Thanks for clarification of "+. neat.

Then Copy and paste what you want to quote in between.

And like others have mentioned, when photos are involved, I don't usually quote the OP. Or I delete the photos, or quote with the above Copy/Paste method.

Another big peeve is when someone makes a new post for each person they want to quote in a thread, instead of putting all the quotes/replies in the same post. This practice takes up page space.

Edited by Iamthesea

Thanks so much for posting this, QuakerBoy.

Yes, it can be very annoying when some people keep reposting a set of photos that everyone has already seen, when there is no good reason to do so. :eek:

Several suggestions have already been made for different ways to avoid doing this.

But the easiest way for me is simply to click QUOTE on the post I want to quote and then delete out whatever I don't want to repeat, such as those annoying duplicate photos that everyone has already seen.

However, it is important to leave the beginning and ending tags in the brackets alone - DO NOT DELETE THEM.

I just add whatever I want to add after the last tag in brackets.

This way there is no need for me to bother adding any tags or brackets myself.

It's so much easier just to leave the existing ones right where they are.

Also, there is no need to copy and paste anything, (unless you have something that you really want to copy and paste).

Essentially, all I do is delete out what I don't want to display in the post I am quoting,

Then add whatever I want to add after the last tag in brackets.

(As some here like to say, easy peasy.)

But it is considered courteous to others, if possible, to click "PREVIEW POST" and look it over to correct errors before submitting it.

(Even so, it is sometimes easy to overlook something wrong that I didn't catch.) :o

Edited by varoo