Size of cabin safes for laptops?

shipshape sam

Just back recently from a trip to Nashville and the hotel there had room safes that could store my 15" Apple MacBook Pro vs most 13" laptops.

Wondering if Celebrity S class ships have cabin safes that will also hold a 15" laptop?

Any information would be grateful! :):)

Just back recently from a trip to Nashville and the hotel there had room safes that could store my 15" Apple MacBook Pro vs most 13" laptops.

Wondering if Celebrity S class ships have cabin safes that will also hold a 15" laptop?

We were last on an S class ship in 2013, more recently on M class cruises. I don't remember ever having a safe large enough for a laptop or even a tablet.

Hoping there are larger safes. They are promoting unlimited internet which we signed up for on our next cruise and where do people keep their devices? My last cruise, the internet area only had about 10 computers.

I have never brought a laptop computer or tablet/ipad. Not sure I just want it unsecured in cabin. Of course I have seen YouTube videos where they show how easy it is to get into a cabin safe.

See if you have a square hole on the side of your laptop. Most laptops used to have one. This is an attachment point for a cable with a lock. Used to be called the Kensington lock. One can thread the cable around the bed frame and then lock it to the laptop. I store the laptop between the bed and the night table.

Prevents passby thefts. Room attendants never touched it.

Worked for years until I switched to tablets.

Currently on Constellation and checked the safe. It definitely would NOt fit your laptop. I don't have a ruler but tried width with 8 1/2 x 11 newsletter. I would guess it is 9" wide by about 7" high.

I really wouldn't worry about your laptop. I have 2 laptops with us as I needed a business PC with me and my personal one. I have one on the desk in the living room and the other is usually on the sofa. Also have a couple Ipads, I readers etc around the room and never had a problem.

I have had at least 1 PC with me for the past 17 years and have never had a problem.

Gosh, I seem to recall my husband's laptop fitting in there. For sure our camera and iPads fit in. My 13" MacAir fits in. Honestly, we never worry about it. We charge them right on the desk in plain sight. If they were to disappear guess who'd be the first to be blamed? Sometimes we put them in a drawer, but that's probably a false sense of security. We typically stay in a sky suite - would the safes be larger there? I don't think they are, but I could be wrong.

Usually the only things we keep in the safe are cash, wallets, passports, jewelry, and excursion tickets.

I have been on a dozen cruises where I got to my cabin, set up my laptop on the desk when I got there, and unhooked when it was time to disembark.

And next to the laptop, camera, lenses, etc.

My experience exactly, although I would add DW's and my iPads and iPhones to the inventory. I used to bring a Kensington Lock on cruises but stopped doing so a number of years ago.

I remember ours on the Eclipse would probably take a 13" laptop. After that nothing else would fit unless you set it on top of your laptop.

I have never been able to understand this paranoia about locking stuff up. Between my computer, tablets, binoculars (2 pair), cameras, etc, I leave maybe $4000 - $6000 worth of equipment lying around the cabin. Nothing has ever been touched. I will say that the stuff is insured for replacement value however. The only stuff that goes into the safe is our passports, money and my wife's jewelry and the jewelry is really not worth that much except to her.

DON

I have never been able to understand this paranoia about locking stuff up. Between my computer, tablets, binoculars (2 pair), cameras, etc, I leave maybe $4000 - $6000 worth of equipment lying around the cabin. Nothing has ever been touched. I will say that the stuff is insured for replacement value however. The only stuff that goes into the safe is our passports, money and my wife's jewelry and the jewelry is really not worth that much except to her.

DON

We never place our tablets, laptops or cameras in the safe. Not had a problem. We do place $$$, expensive watches, jewelry and passports in the safe.

Never have figured out why people will leave larger expensive stuff out and yet secure smaller expensive stuff? Guess they do believe that things do get taken/stolen. Hope they never have to experience the lost of a camera or computer. I have had a camcorder stolen on a trip. Was not on a cruise ship, but was staying in a hotel.

For me it is not the value per se of the laptop, but the data and aggravation if have to replace/set up again. I back up to the cloud and most of my programs are browser based which makes me think, I will just access the cloud/browser vs laptop and not have to carry my laptop.

I have been on a dozen cruises where I got to my cabin, set up my laptop on the desk when I got there, and unhooked when it was time to disembark.

And next to the laptop, camera, lenses, etc.

Agree completely with your comment. I do however put my wallet and passports in the safe.

Hoping there are larger safes. They are promoting unlimited internet which we signed up for on our next cruise and where do people keep their devices? My last cruise, the internet area only had about 10 computers.

I have never brought a laptop computer or tablet/ipad. Not sure I just want it unsecured in cabin. Of course I have seen YouTube videos where they show how easy it is to get into a cabin safe.

I just leave it in a drawer but many times just left it charging on vanity. I never worried about it. Password protected and as you say anyone can get into the safe if they really want to. It's barley big enough for a mini iPad anyway.

If you are concerned there are locking tethers and computer pouches with tethers on a most popular shopping website for under $25.00. I take our computer and leave it in a drawer out of sight. I don't worry about the crew messing with it, but remove temptation for passer by's when the door is left propped open during cleaning.

Agree completely with your comment. I do however put my wallet and passports in the safe.

Yep. Passports, wallet, cash, go in the safe.

I also think that the steward sees the laptop on the desk, the cameras, lenses sitting out, he/she take extra precaution and has the sense not to leave the door open and wander off.