Goodbye to Free Burgers and Mast Grill ???

chamima

If Celebrity wants to charge for a burger at the former Mast Grill, they need to change the entire operation there. Why would the majority of cruisers want to ante up $10 to stand in line, carry their meal & then scramble to find a place to sit and eat if they aren't already on a poolside lounger is beyond me. It's inconvenient enough to get a meal at the Mast Grill but not so bad for a free burger or dog. Hopefully this change will be a big FAIL.

$9.95 for a hot dog??? Seriously!!!

It is common knowledge that baseball studuims are notorious for outrageous hot dog prices. In 2016, the most expensive hot dogs in the Major Leagues were sold by the Boston Red Sox & the Philadelphia Phillies @ $7.75 a pop.

Celebrity, you have got to be kidding! Anyone who would pay $9.95 should contact me. I have a certain bridge for sale; great location.

Hey Rich, I was selling that bridge.

Hey Rich, I was selling that bridge.

I've been selling pieces of the Brooklyn Bridge for years so I hope you're selling a different one like the Manhattan Bridge, the Verrazano or even the George Washington. Brooklyn is MINE. ;p

Or Richsea, in your case the Throgs Neck.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

No crap? Will you have to buy tokens at the Guest Services desk?

Expensive burgers and expensive hot dogs require expensive toilets.Someone has to pay for the toilets.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. Will you get your money back if they don't work? Probably not.

On our last Summit sailing in an aft AQ, the toilet system was not working on three different occasions until they got it repaired. I never thought about asking for a money back guarantee. Oh BTW the lights in our cabin didn't work for over three hours on one occasion. That was after the Summit's refirb too.

I've been selling pieces of the Brooklyn Bridge for years so I hope you're selling a different one like the Manhattan Bridge, the Verrazano or even the George Washington. Brooklyn is MINE. ;p

Or Richsea, in your case the Throgs Neck.

Not the GW. No one wants a bridge that connects to the Cross Bronx Expressway,

They just posted on Facebook that all gourmet Burgers and Hot Dogs will be $9.95

For us Canadian that will be 14$ Not happening and don't care about the size or if the sausage comes from Japan:D.

Are they going to tack on the 18% gratuity on top of that.??

All the silliness of bridges aside..

If you don't like what Celebrity is doing (which we don't) find another line to try and compare (that's what we're doing).

While I understand this is more about the direction Celebrity is taking, all this over the loss of a free burger is nuts. Which they'll be charging for in the bars soon! LOL!

I have never seen a $10 hot dog before, even at ball parks where they overcharge for everything. How do they justify that? Is it because they value the fries so much? :D

Really? Gourmet hot dogs are as on trend as gourmet burgers and pizza. Can think of two places locally off the top of my head that charge that much for hot dogs

832cc158972e99c60a996f2a94a2b8ae.jpgb7ae1b88ef0b49038b9dc476b1c47820.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If Celebrity wants to charge for a burger at the former Mast Grill, they need to change the entire operation there. Why would the majority of cruisers want to ante up $10 to stand in line, carry their meal & then scramble to find a place to sit and eat if they aren't already on a poolside lounger is beyond me. It's inconvenient enough to get a meal at the Mast Grill but not so bad for a free burger or dog. Hopefully this change will be a big FAIL.

Exactly. Not the right venue for a premium burger. But how about running it early afternoon only in Qsine which is otherwise closed. Then they could leave the Mast alone.

As long as they can replace us with newbies who don 't know the difference, the changes will continue.

I saw a massive change between 2015 and 2016. This should not be surprising, and people despite loyalty to the brand should have more loyalty to their own well earned time and money. This means looking at land based holidays and other cruise lines - Cunard, HAL and Princess can offer equivalent experiences to traditional Celebrity. There are other options if one wants to go upscale or boutique options.

Right now the marketeers and head office bean counters are winning as they are attracting new customers through the all you can drink/modern luxury/nickel and dime business model and are retaining their loyalists over many years. The only way they will change course to their former business model is for the loyalists to go elsewhere and for the realisation that new customers have far less loyalty.

Really? Gourmet hot dogs are as on trend as gourmet burgers and pizza. Can think of two places locally off the top of my head that charge that much for hot dogs

832cc158972e99c60a996f2a94a2b8ae.jpgb7ae1b88ef0b49038b9dc476b1c47820.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Menu totally uck for my taste.....similar to the stuff they put on the Equinox tavern menu... but if that's what's in,..glad I'm out!

I have never been able to receive a medium rare burger on Celebrity!!!! What makes these pom pom shakers believe they'll get real gourmet burgers instead of just the price of one? Just cause Celebrity calls it one, don't make it so.

And you know what I'd tell them to do with those gourmet hot dogs?

Can you say Modern Luxury?

Edited by ChucktownSteve

All the silliness of bridges aside..

If you don't like what Celebrity is doing (which we don't) find another line to try and compare (that's what we're doing).

While I understand this is more about the direction Celebrity is taking, all this over the loss of a free burger is nuts. Which they'll be charging for in the bars soon! LOL!

You are totally correct!!!! That is why we are cruising MSC and NCL now. We still are cruising RCI and Princess. In fact we are on RCI, MSC and NCL for our next 4 cruises this year!!!! X is out of the current choice.

You are totally correct!!!! That is why we are cruising MSC and NCL now. We still are cruising RCI and Princess. In fact we are on RCI, MSC and NCL for our next 4 cruises this year!!!! X is out of the current choice.

To me Oceania is much like X used to be; but even better. They are a bit pricier; but it is so nice not to have people trying to constantly take your photos, sell you artwork or other junk. We do like the Riviera/Marina size ships much better than the smaller ones. If you are looking for a new cruise line, you should include them in your search. We do enjoy O; but can't go on them as much as we like, due to some itineraries being very expensive. We will still cruise X, but will be doing trying out several other lines in the coming year. We had planned on doing this before Burgergate started, but it confirms our decision.

I have never been able to receive a medium rare burger on Celebrity!!!! What makes these pom pom shakers believe they'll get real gourmet burgers instead of just the price of one? Just cause Celebrity calls it one, don't make it so.

I doubt a medium rare burger on Celebrity would be safe (at least not in the current venues with burgers); the meat so far as I know is not freshly ground shortly before cooking and is not sourced from small, high quality farms. Too much risk for E coli if not cooked to at least 155. Perhaps the beef at the new venue will be freshly ground and sourced from a venue that would safely permit mid rare temps - good quality beef is definitely much, much juicer, beefier and delicious mid rare.

My last trip on the Summit I asked for a fresh medium rare burger from the Mast Grill. I had to sign a health waiver to get it. No lie. It also wasn't good. The grill isn't hot enough to cook them that way. It was just a patty of raw meet that was not pink either. The meat sits out too long and has all oxidized.

...Right now the marketeers and head office bean counters are winning as they are attracting new customers through the all you can drink/modern luxury/nickel and dime business model and are retaining their loyalists over many years. The only way they will change course to their former business model is for the loyalists to go elsewhere and for the realisation that new customers have far less loyalty.

You seem to think thank Celebrity wants the "loyalists", I'm not really sure that's true. "Loyalists" have "been there and seen that" and usually spend far less on-board than first-time or less seasoned cruisers. New cruisers are more likely to spend more on shore excursions, specialty dinners, pictures, etc. and these are key items to Celebrity making a profit. Most every Celebrity ship will sail full so Celebrity really doesn't care if the loyalists leave.