Clever Idea to Book $1 Deposit

cruzsnooze

I wasn't suggesting that one would swap out a FCC for the $1 deposit. I was just using the example of calling to change a $200 to an FCC deposit as an analogous situation to calling to convert a $200 deposit into a $1 deposit. In other words if an agent on the phone can say: "Yes, I see that you have a cruise on hold and a $200 deposit is due in order to keep the booking, but I will go ahead and make the change for you to use your FCC instead with no need to pay the $200", they might be able to say: "Yes, I see that you have a cruise on hold and a $200 deposit is due in order to keep the booking, but I will go ahead and make the change for you to use the promotional $1 deposit instead with no need to pay the $200". Again, I don't know if this works. But it would require a call to find out.

AhHa! Now I get what you meant... :o

I'm curious about how many of these $1 deposit cruises are you all going to go on? With RCCL introducing non-refundable deposits on all cruises, I'm afraid other lines might catch on if we, the customers, start abusing the refundable deposit system.

where is the official info on non refundable with royal? i thought was just suites?

Can someone book more than 1 cabin for the same date on a cruise using the same names in the cabins. Reason would be to cancel one cabin (loose $2) and rebook later using a FCC and still be assured you have a reservation to fall back on.

If not and I cancel the one cabin reservation how soon is the cabin available in inventory so it can be rebooked using a FCC?

On our last cruise we purchased 4 FCCs but used all of them on an upcoming B2B.

Here's from a $1 sale in 2016:

Sale Period: The Twice as Nice Sale $1 Special Offer will be available on Monday, February 29, 2016 from 12:00 am PST – 11:59 pm PST.

$1 deposits made on February 29, 2016 for voyages listed in the Twice as Nice Sale are for new bookings only.

Hi Everyone​,

We booked on a previous $1 deposit, fully refundable sale for a cruise in Jan 2018 for South America. We booked Club Class and since then, a better deal came available on Oceania for a similar cruise but a week longer. I booked the Oceania cruise but still have the Princess cruise booked. I will NOT cancel the Princess one until I have to pay in full for the Oceania one. The Princess cruise is more expensive than the Oceania cruise.

Anyway, this $1 deposit sale was good for us, kinda?

Then you're part of the problem. This is why it doesn't make business sense for Princess to have a $1 deposit sale. You've removed that room from their inventory with no intention on using it.

Then you're part of the problem. This is why it doesn't make business sense for Princess to have a $1 deposit sale. You've removed that room from their inventory with no intention on using it.

Not really, she's playing the game by the rules. If Princess felt more people hurt their booking process by holding a cabin with $1 then they wouldn't do it. Since they've done it in the past they must have liked the results or they wouldn't repeat it.

I was thinking about how many bookings will be made May 22 on the $1 deposit ( and how slow the web site could be ) and if that would hinder my getting my desired cabin. If I book May 21 with a 24 hour hold then pay the deposit on May 22 I think I will have achieved my goal. Antone else like my idea?

May not work.

I did just that this morning to lock in my desired cabin. Tomorrow, I'll call my PCC and she can then turn it into a confirmed reservation with the $1.00 deposit. She might have to do a 15 second cancellation of the "hold" reservation and then rebook as "confirmed".

Whatever, it's a great deal for us, as we fully intend to take this cruise, but nice our money won't be held up. We booked for May 2019, so that's a long time out.

We haven't sailed often with Princess and we used the only FCD we had for our upcoming January 2018 cruise. We're not sailing until then, when we obviously intend to purchase more FCDs.

If I reserve a cruise for 2019 on May 22 using the $1 deposit, can we somehow apply the FCD we buy in 2018 after we return to that 2019 cruise? :confused:

Before everyone books a bunch of $1 deposit cruises, might want to read the fine print. I booked one this morning using the $1 a person deposit, and this was in the confirmation. I am not sure if this is correct or not, but the other sales,

it was $100 after the 70 days or so before final payment, then started increasing as it gets closer.

34818669045_677fb635ac_z.jpgcan by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

Before everyone books a bunch of $1 deposit cruises, might want to read the fine print. I booked one this morning using the $1 a person deposit, and this was in the confirmation. I am not sure if this is correct or not, but the other sales,

it was $100 after the 70 days or so before final payment, then started increasing as it gets closer.

34818669045_677fb635ac_z.jpgcan by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

Thanks for the heads up. Wow, this is nut. $100 cancellation fee pp effective immediately. What a ripoff. So glad I see this just before I book. Princess, this is not cool.

I went in to make another book for March 2018, so it would qualify. Got the warning about the $1 deposit not being refundable, and brought up the passengers contract. The cancellation in there, is different than what was sent out in the confirmation email I received:

34432464410_f9883eac74_z.jpgcan2 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

Ah okay. This is more like it. Not sure why there is such a big discrepancy on the two documents.

Ah okay. This is more like it. Not sure why there is such a big discrepancy on the two documents.

I am just wondering which one is correct. I would think the passenger's contract should be, just never seen this before.

May try to call Princess when they open if I get a chance & can get through to them to see what they say.

Just made a booking for Feb 2019 and do not see any indication of the $100 pp cancellation fee as of today. My cancel charges start on the final payment date in Nov 2018.

Maybe they fixed the glitch.....:confused:

Nope, doesn't work, I tried it, booked yesterday, hoping it would change my deposit, it didn't, had to book another cruise from the start, oh well, Island Princess on Halloween, yipppe

I'm reading on another site that full deposit is due in 48 days. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Not correct. I booked through Princess by calling and paid $1 deposit per person. Final payment is not due until 75 days prior to sailing. No other payment required prior to that.

It may depend on what Promotion is in effect. The Red White and Blue promotion currently available has a $100. non refundable deposit.

I spoke with Costco Travel just now and they said that they would accept the $1. special deposit (May22) but if I were to cancel tomorrow, they would charge me $100USD as it is a non-refundable deposit.

There is another rate available for my requested sailing, but to have a refundable deposit, the stateroom rate is much higher.

So ask the questions to make sure you know exactly what the rules of the $1. deposit are with each booking!

Disclaimer: I am a Canadian booking from Canada ( with CDN$), but the Costco agent I was speaking with was in Washington State.

Can you clarify...does that mean you booked under Red White and Blue promo and that is why they would charge you $100 if you canceled?