Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

3 hours ago, Mickey111 said:

We have reservations for chefs table but no indication of the menu on those days. Can they be changed if we don’t like the menu eg soft shell crabs or octopus etc?

This was the one area where we felt VO dropped the ball on our first cruise with them on Jupiter in May.  We had two members of our traveling party who were vegetarians--noted on their MVJ prior to cruise.  It was obvious this was in the records as the staff in the restaurants would ask about our vegetarians when we sat down.  Instead, the staff would bring in something already prepared from Manfredi's.  Sometimes pretty disappointing--a plain salad instead of the interesting appetizer the rest of us enjoyed.

After this happened to us a couple of times in the CT, we spoke with the restaurant manager.  The chef came out and offered to make something special for the vegetarians--it would only take an additional 45 minutes to prepare.  Our dining companions declined and were brought a plain salad from Manfredi's instead.  We were left wondering why if the chef COULD make a vegetarian alternative why this wasn't done in advance.  It seemed like it would have been easy to count up the number of vegetarians dining that evening and make alternative dishes for them--even just separating out a portion of the dish before adding meat.  Or tossing in some tofu instead.

We also found we needed to be careful at the buffet.  Dishes that sounded like they were vegetarian--a lentil salad, for example--turned out to have meat in them.  Viking is, however, on the ball here and has a little card by dishes that lists ingredients.  You just have to be diligent in reading them.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, loriva said:

This was the one area where we felt VO dropped the ball on our first cruise with them on Jupiter in May.  We had two members of our traveling party who were vegetarians--noted on their MVJ prior to cruise.  It was obvious this was in the records as the staff in the restaurants would ask about our vegetarians when we sat down.  Instead, the staff would bring in something already prepared from Manfredi's.  Sometimes pretty disappointing--a plain salad instead of the interesting appetizer the rest of us enjoyed.

After this happened to us a couple of times in the CT, we spoke with the restaurant manager.  The chef came out and offered to make something special for the vegetarians--it would only take an additional 45 minutes to prepare.  Our dining companions declined and were brought a plain salad from Manfredi's instead.  We were left wondering why if the chef COULD make a vegetarian alternative why this wasn't done in advance.  It seemed like it would have been easy to count up the number of vegetarians dining that evening and make alternative dishes for them--even just separating out a portion of the dish before adding meat.  Or tossing in some tofu instead.

We also found we needed to be careful at the buffet.  Dishes that sounded like they were vegetarian--a lentil salad, for example--turned out to have meat in them.  Viking is, however, on the ball here and has a little card by dishes that lists ingredients.  You just have to be diligent in reading them.

I consider my fortunate. I have found, if I’m hungry, I’ll try and like almost anything ( except Lima beans 🙂) .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Lilyskittymom said:

Many people wait until they're onboard to book the Chef's Table so they can look at the menus first.  It's very easy to make, change or cancel your reservation.  On our latest cruise, we made reservations in advance.. Ended up keeping one and changing the other.  Easy process; do it sooner to get a better choice of times.

Maria

My issue is, when there is so much good tasting food at breakfast and lunch, by dinner time, I don’t have much of an appetite. 🫢

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mickey111 said:

We have reservations for chefs table but no indication of the menu on those days. Can they be changed if we don’t like the menu eg soft shell crabs or octopus etc?

We had the main course changed to salmon when a friend did not eat lamb and a dessert substitute to a brownie due to allergy to mango.

1 hour ago, loriva said:

I can certainly understand your expectation and disappointment in failing to receive a vegetarian meal when dietary preferences/needs were previously listed.  However the Chefs Table is a set menu venue with the foods paired to a particular wine or liquor.  Often the entire menu other then dessert and the palate cleanser contains some sort of meat, fish or fowl.  If the menu items are changed, then it is no longer a true Chefs Table wine pairing experience.  Perhaps it is better to avoid a CT menu heavy on animal protein or be sure to meet with the Chef earlier in the day to assure that the animal options will be switched to vegetarian.  

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

We had the main course changed to salmon when a friend did not eat lamb and a dessert substitute to a brownie due to allergy to mango.

Last time there was a preview of the menus available can we change the bookings?

For vegetarians, interesting to note that in a recent survey, they listed the best cruise ships for vegetarians and Viking was not listed at all.

Perhaps vegetarians should look at other options.  Not defending Viking, but I don't believe it is their strength.

https://www.cruiseandtravel.co.uk/expert-advice-vegan-options-on-board/

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/best-cruises-for-vegetarians-and-vegans

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

I can certainly understand your expectation and disappointment in failing to receive a vegetarian meal when dietary preferences/needs were previously listed.  However the Chefs Table is a set menu venue with the foods paired to a particular wine or liquor. 

On the other hand, why should both people have to avoid CT just because one of them has issues or dietary limitations?

As I am reading this conversation, it is becoming more and more obvious to me that the actual CT experience differs from ship to ship, from restaurant manager to restaurant manager, from chef to chef.

The last time I ate in CT, in 2021, we ate in CT 6 nights out 17. We ate all of the menus served on that cruise except the duck menu, as neither of us are fans. I have allergies. Each time, I was served a substitute dish that was prepared by the CT chef to meet my allergies -- sometimes it was multiple courses of substitutions. Not once did they bring something from another kitchen. This was the best experience we have ever had in CT.

Other times, I have been served things from Manfredi's or the main dining room but each time, they have been ready for me and my restrictions. Sometimes, I wish they had asked in advance because there have been times when I have served foods that I just don't eat. On the other hand, my husband is not burdened with restrictions and likes CT very much, so we try to go to as many of the menus as we can, and I make due, because it is his vacation as much as it is mine.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mickey111 said:

Last time there was a preview of the menus available can we change the bookings?

I haven't seen a CT menu preview available pre cruise since 2020.  On our three cruises since then have had to wait until boarding to see menu.  Yes, if you don't like a menu that you booked, you can change your reservation to another day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

On the other hand, why should both people have to avoid CT just because one of them has issues or dietary limitations?

As I am reading this conversation, it is becoming more and more obvious to me that the actual CT experience differs from ship to ship, from restaurant manager to restaurant manager, from chef to chef.

The last time I ate in CT, in 2021, we ate in CT 6 nights out 17. We ate all of the menus served on that cruise except the duck menu, as neither of us are fans. I have allergies. Each time, I was served a substitute dish that was prepared by the CT chef to meet my allergies -- sometimes it was multiple courses of substitutions. Not once did they bring something from another kitchen. This was the best experience we have ever had in CT.

Other times, I have been served things from Manfredi's or the main dining room but each time, they have been ready for me and my restrictions. Sometimes, I wish they had asked in advance because there have been times when I have served foods that I just don't eat. On the other hand, my husband is not burdened with restrictions and likes CT very much, so we try to go to as many of the menus as we can, and I make due, because it is his vacation as much as it is mine.

We’ve booked chefs table even though I don’t drink alcohol but my husband does and he will enjoy it

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

However the Chefs Table is a set menu venue with the foods paired to a particular wine or liquor.  Often the entire menu other then dessert and the palate cleanser contains some sort of meat, fish or fowl.  If the menu items are changed, then it is no longer a true Chefs Table wine pairing experience. 

That's what I thought as well.  But we found repeats of the wine pairings with different menus--both the included and the premium.  As @Peregrina651said, this may reflect differences in staffing on the various ships,

39 minutes ago, loriva said:

That's what I thought as well.  But we found repeats of the wine pairings with different menus--both the included and the premium.  As @Peregrina651said, this may reflect differences in staffing on the various ships,

The wines could also be lingering supply chain issues.

2 hours ago, Mickey111 said:

We’ve booked chefs table even though I don’t drink alcohol but my husband does and he will enjoy it

We go for the food. DH will have a glass of whatever wine is being served and I may have a sip or two of white.

• Like 2

There are no widespread wine supply issues in the European hospitality industry. The prices have gone up a bit more than usual, Viking may be unwilling to spend the extra to get a good selection of decent stuff onboard, we noticed the selection to be limited and mostly in the £7 and under category. 

• Like 2

It may depend on the cruise, but thus far we have not found wine to be one of Viking’s strengths. We’re not serious oenophiles, but we have found their wine selections to be average at best. It’s nice they allow you to BYOB, but we find we rarely seem to come across wine shops during our cruise travels.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

It may depend on the cruise, but thus far we have not found wine to be one of Viking’s strengths. We’re not serious oenophiles, but we have found their wine selections to be average at best. It’s nice they allow you to BYOB, but we find we rarely seem to come across wine shops during our cruise travels.

Have you gone into grocery stores? We found a primitive in Civitavecchia, and also ran into a little wine tasting in Kotor. Those are just two that come to mind.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, duquephart said:

You have to go looking for them. Looking for wine is not how we want to spend our time ashore.

Actually, walked right by both of those. Mr B always goes into markets anyway, even if only to check out the fish etc.

• Like 3

On 8/1/2023 at 4:14 AM, Mickey111 said:

Hi folks

husband uses cpap and I know there are power points next to beds on ships.

however we travel with an extension lead as a lot of hotels don’t.

we don’t intend to use it in the ship.

will they confiscate it and will we get it back as doing a 10 day fly drive in New Brunswick after cruise in September 

I’d think the transformer cord plus air hose provide plenty of length. 

4 hours ago, Mickey111 said:

You’d be surprised some hotels have the only power point on the desk right across the room 

I use a portable nebuliser to deliver medication to my lungs and last cruise on Celebrity it seemed really sluggish. They provided another adapter which made no difference. I'm wondering if I should be using a voltage converter as well ie UK to US? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mickey111 said:

You’d be surprised some hotels have the only power point on the desk right across the room 

This is a big issue for us as we both use CPAPs. No issue on any Viking ship, but need an extension cord as power is often available on only one side of the bed.