Compare MSC to Carnival

Postman806

We have cruised Carnival 10 times as well as various other lines years ago. This past April we cruised MSC Divina out of Miami and loved it. It is quite a different experience but we thoroughly enjoyed it. The ship is immaculate. There are various nationalities on board. Staff was polite and friendly. We have no complaints about the food - it was very good in all locations. The buffet is wonderful with separate stations to enjoy. The evening shows were excellent. All of the separate bars/clubs had live music. We are going on the Divina again in September. Also have future Carnival cruises booked. Bottom line for us - we have always enjoyed cruising and do not "nit pic" everything. We do love Carnival but also will frequent MSC if prices continue to be affordable for us. Also MSC will match whatever level you have attained with another cruise line or hotel chain - you can read instructions to do so on their web site.

MSC Divina compares very nicely to the newer/larger Carnival ships.

There are a lot of European guests, which I find to be a plus - it is nice to get out of the US comfort zone - but evidently some people are put off by it. Go figure.

Food is as good, but more European. Pizza is excellent :)

I have not been on other MSC ships but I believe the Divina and its future Miami replacement Seaside are constructed and run to align with US expectations and that the same is not true of the MSC ships that operate in Europe. I personally would not have an issue with that but again many apparently do. So just consider how you operate in and out of your comfort level.

Have to agree...MSC is a significantly different experience than Carnival. Both are fun, but in much different ways.

MSC (Divina) will be more refined with an understandably European flavor. Food is more Mediterranean on MSC, whereas Carnival is more "U.S. Chain Restaurant" focused. Carnival seems to be more "Spring Break" party time.

Entertainment on MSC is more "Vegas". Carnival is more local DJ type of entertainment.

Both have their place. Depends on what you want.

We have only cruised Carnival and have now booked on Seaside. Disappointed that the only included food is either the buffet or the MDR for dinner. No specialty places like Guy's, Blue Iguana or BBQ. I have a feeling we will be sorely tired of buffet food after 2 weeks. I really hope we are not making a mistake as eating outside our norm is something we value on vacation.

Also not sure if we will get free ice water in the MDR for dinner.

I see that Seaside will have a giant screen in the pool area. Will there be movies at night? This is something we love to do since we are not into the shows that much.

I'm fairly new to cruising but my wife has been on almost all lines past 3+ decades.

booked our first msc cruise this Aug, she's always talking about old time set dinner times, dress codes, etc.

I love CCL and NCL, for much different reasons. I think MSC will join the club above for its own uniqueness. I'm pretty low key and chill...it's hard not to have fun in the Caribbean in my book.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

I'm a fairly regular Carnival cruiser, and as far as design and decor goes, Carnival can't hold a candle to MSC, and I'm including their newer ships like Breeze and Vista which I have both sailed. Food wise, I'd say it's similar although obviously more Italian influenced which I loved being Italian myself.

I have only been on orchestra and not on the newer Divina but planning a Seaside cruise for next summer.

Expect to be wowed by the MSC beauty and elegance.

We have only cruised Carnival and have now booked on Seaside. Disappointed that the only included food is either the buffet or the MDR for dinner. No specialty places like Guy's, Blue Iguana or BBQ. I have a feeling we will be sorely tired of buffet food after 2 weeks. I really hope we are not making a mistake as eating outside our norm is something we value on vacation.

Also not sure if we will get free ice water in the MDR for dinner.

I see that Seaside will have a giant screen in the pool area. Will there be movies at night? This is something we love to do since we are not into the shows that much.

Iced water,iced tea,coffee,tea and juices are free. Buffet is phenomenal. Not typical and you will find yourself going often. Lol

MSC is a much cleaner, nicer, more refined ship and experience. It is on par with Royal Caribbean or Princess, and several steps above Carnival.

Well I wouldn't call it on par with Princess ( quality of food is not comparable), but ships are really beautiful and entertainment is top notch.

Sorry, I cannot stand Carnivals decors, but I didn't sail on post Farcus ship. MSC has stunning ships.

We enjoyed international pax, but it becomes more Americanized.

I would place MSC a notch above Carnival but a notch below Royal Caribbean, and definitely well below Princess, Holland America and other premium cruise lines. As others mentioned, our ship, the Divina, was beautiful and impeccably clean (except for one snafu on day 1).

It's a budget minded experience (very mass market, quality similar to Carnival but in a more upscale looking ship). But besides the decor, there's nothing that would place MSC in the premium segment (unless you splurge for Yacht Club accommodations).

Considering the ridiculously cheap price that we paid for our cruise, MSC delivered a fantastic product for the money, so we were very happy about having sailed on them. Feel free to read my photo review. The link is in my signature.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Tapi

Any input on teen activities? We have taken 2 Carnival cruises and our teen daughters love the teen lounges. I assume MSC is similar, but with a more international flavor...passengers and crew as well, wasn't sure if they will enjoy as much. I think it will be great for them to meet more people from other countries, but have seen some comments on many crew speaking little or no English. Any feedback on the teen activities?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't know about teen activities, but most of the crew speaks adequate English.

From what I heard most of them hired if they had previous experience working on RCCL and other lines.

• 2 weeks later...

We cancelled our Seaside cruise. Just too many question marks for us especially after reading reviews of Meraviglia and all of the issues. No balcony furniture. If I am paying for a balcony I expect furniture. People being relegated to the buffet for dinner because there is not enough seating in the MDR. This was a huge NO from my mom. I can't even believe they would do this to people who paid for their vacation expecting the MDR to be included. I don't care if it's the same menu, it is not the same ambiance or experience. Maybe Europeans will just suck it up and take it but they better get their act together if they want the US money.

We cancelled our Seaside cruise. Just too many question marks for us especially after reading reviews of Meraviglia and all of the issues. No balcony furniture. If I am paying for a balcony I expect furniture. People being relegated to the buffet for dinner because there is not enough seating in the MDR. This was a huge NO from my mom. I can't even believe they would do this to people who paid for their vacation expecting the MDR to be included. I don't care if it's the same menu, it is not the same ambiance or experience. Maybe Europeans will just suck it up and take it but they better get their act together if they want the US money.

I was onboard and I can say that it's the first cruise of the ship and problems are inevitable. I agree there was many issues, but no one that can't fixed with the time. The dining at the buffet is not a huge problem for me, because the food and the service is the same as you are in the mdr. Also I was in YC and never suffered any issues during the cruise.

Inviato dal mio SM-N910F utilizzando Tapatalk

I noticed on another thread that not even tap water was free, nor juice. I am wondering if it depends on the actual ship. We are going on fantasia in September around the med for 10 nights.

Tap water, juices, coffee and tea are free 24h only at the buffet

Inviato dal mio SM-N910F utilizzando Tapatalk

Were you booked on inaugural cruise?

If not then those problems get resolved fast. I bad things happened on Carnival in Europe. I believe it was Sunshine (when they changed it from Destiny). My friends said that works were going on when they boarded ... many venues were closed etc.

We have a rule never to book first cruises.