Chef Table what if you aren't adventurous?

poblead

My hubby and I love gourmet food - and love trying new things.. some in our party of 10 might not.. just wondering how 'adventurous' the meal is? is there something to appeal to everyone?

I've heard the food is amazing! Just wondering if everyone will like it especially for $75 a person!

It's "adventurous" by common standards. You really need to be a foodie or else willing to try whatever is put in front of you or you will miss out. $75 is a fare chunk of change for a meal you aren't interested in or won't eat half.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This IS NOT a meat and potatoes meal by any stretch. If you have people in your group who fall into that camp they are unlikely to be happy. Nothing they serve will be ordinary. I'm a pretty adventurous eater and a few things are a bit much. I do at least taste everything they serve. Be warned that even though the portions seem tiny, by the time you get to the end you will be absolutely stuffed. If you get a look at a menu, they serve everything listed and a few more. You don't pick and choose.

My hubby and I love gourmet food - and love trying new things.. some in our party of 10 might not.. just wondering how 'adventurous' the meal is? is there something to appeal to everyone?

I've heard the food is amazing! Just wondering if everyone will like it especially for $75 a person!

Hi there

I would say, generally, out of 10 people, some might not enjoy it.

You don't suggest what the situation might be.

Are you going to be offering to pay for everyone and concerned that a few might not have a good time but don't want to offend you by refusing to join in? That would be easy...just make the offer as one where you wouldn't expect everyone to want to partake but you would be happy if whoever wanted would be welcome to join.

Typically, I would be surprised if a party of 10 wanted to dine together all the time over the period of a week or more. I can imagine how most of a group might dine most of the time together, but not all of the time. If this was just a special occasion (like a birthday, anniversary etc...) that you really wanted to get everyone there, I would suggest a steakhouse venue. That way those who might not be as adventurous would be able to choose for themselves from a menu that almost everybody would agree has something for everyone.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

I consider myself a fairly picky eater. Prior to my first chef's table, I did NOT like pumpkin, beets, a lot of veggies... In four trips to Chef's table, the only thing I have turned down is a stalk of broccoli. I ate pumpkin something and LOVED it, as well as some beet concoction. As long as you are willing to try, you should be pleasantly surprised. As someone mentioned above, it's not a lot of any one thing, so if you get a bite that isn't your favorite, move on. It is a DELIGHTFUL experience!

There is no way I would do this. If you read Wildra's review, right here on the front page, she just did a lengthy review on the last page with lots of pictures.

There is NO way I would pay for that.

I am NOT a foodie.

To each their own. I will take the steakhouse any day, over this.:'):'):')

we are doing the steak house also.. I KNOW the pickies will love that!

and we are a family of 10 cruising together so all meals will be together..and well I guess if they don't like something they can always get midnight pizza..

I have reservations in February on the Vista for Chefs Table. Price not being the issue, do you have to be a meat eater or will they make vegetarian dishes for substitution for main meal?

Thank you.

So folks are talking about being a foodie, being adventurous, being a picky eater...I'm a "picky" eater when it comes to meat products...but wouldn't bat an eye if it were vegetarian or vegan, so maybe (maybe!) others might consider a vegetarian or vegan version. The most recent vegan post makes it look amazing!

Hi there

I would say, generally, out of 10 people, some might not enjoy it.

You don't suggest what the situation might be.

Are you going to be offering to pay for everyone and concerned that a few might not have a good time but don't want to offend you by refusing to join in? That would be easy...just make the offer as one where you wouldn't expect everyone to want to partake but you would be happy if whoever wanted would be welcome to join.

Typically, I would be surprised if a party of 10 wanted to dine together all the time over the period of a week or more. I can imagine how most of a group might dine most of the time together, but not all of the time. If this was just a special occasion (like a birthday, anniversary etc...) that you really wanted to get everyone there, I would suggest a steakhouse venue. That way those who might not be as adventurous would be able to choose for themselves from a menu that almost everybody would agree has something for everyone.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

We were a family party of 9 on our last cruise. We ate dinner together 6 out of 8 nights. Breakfast and lunch were hit and miss. Maybe 5 or 6 at most.

We would never do Chefs Table. The food is just not appealing to ME. This is all I can speak to. Myself.

We were a family party of 9 on our last cruise. We ate dinner together 6 out of 8 nights. Breakfast and lunch were hit and miss. Maybe 5 or 6 at most.

We would never do Chefs Table. The food is just not appealing to ME. This is all I can speak to. Myself.

Hi

Yes. This is what I would expect. Unless most were children that were being brought to dinner every night, over the course of a cruise I myself might just not feel like going to the MDR at any given time. Looking at my wife, for example, she might not feel well a couple of times during a cruise and might prefer eating in our cabin.

If the OP's family is able to get together every night for dinner, good for them. I don't believe it would be the norm for most large family but if they do have a special occasion the steak house is a very good choice that will allow everyone to enjoy a wonderful meal together.

There are menus, photos and reviews posted online. Do a search and let everyone in your party see. That way they can decide if it's for them or not.

The drinks, dessert and rolls are enough to justify $75 imho.

I am what is defined as a "super taster".... meaning picky doesn't really cut it lol. However i am adventurous, so on the Miracle in 2012, we did the chefs table and even though hubby loves 95% of foods, and enjoyed most all, I enjoyed the magician, the wine, a few desserts and actually a couple of courses :D

Was it worth it to check it out...yes! I am not sure although every chefs table has a performer.

The only downside for me was it took hoursssss.

The kitchen tour was very cool.:cool:

There are menus, photos and reviews posted online. Do a search and let everyone in your party see. That way they can decide if it's for them or not.

The drinks, dessert and rolls are enough to justify $75 imho.

There is a review including the menu and pictures of all the food served at Chefs Table on the Conquest in January in the link in my signature.

I really enjoyed it and would do it again, but it's not for everyone.

If it were me - I'd not be interested in spending $75 each for a gourmet meal on a cruise. I like good food but at that price I don't find the idea enchanting. If I were in your group I'd rather you ran the idea by us and those that aren't interested can eat elsewhere (like the steakhouse) and meet up later.

Just me ... glad the cruise ships have something for everyone :D

I don't think it's for people who aren't open minded and willing to try new foods (not necessarily like but at least try).

I know my dad wouldn't be open to it and a $75 price tag would be the final nail in the coffin because he wouldn't spend that much for something he'd call "weird".

I have reservations in February on the Vista for Chefs Table. Price not being the issue, do you have to be a meat eater or will they make vegetarian dishes for substitution for main meal?

Thank you.

There is no menu in the sense that you choose from the menu.

The menu just states what they are preparing for you that evening. No pick and choose.

Also, this is not a meal. This is an artistic preparation and a learning experience with small samples for you to try. If a sirloin is involved, it's not an 8oz sirloin. It's a 1 bite piece of sirloin cooked, prepped, and displayed in such a way as you've never thought of before. And it's going to be delicious.

As an example:

The chef had us stand around a table in the galley.

In front if us were greek olives in a marinade.

he had us taste a greek olive. Very good

Then he had us take a greek olive and a small slice of fresh parmasean cheese and combine the two. Everything changed and was amazing.

Then he took a greek olive and spun it in a suger machine (like a cotton candy machine) and had us try that. It was still a greek olive, but the new taste and flavor just blew your mind.

It's basically a show that teaches you the difference between a cook and a culinary chef.

Edited by klfrodo

We are scheduled to do this on our February 2019 Southern Caribbean cruise - I am vegan but my husband is not so when I reserved it I noted in the comments of this. I cannot wait - while my husband is not a foodie, I think this will be an awesome evening.

Just remind your group that what they serve is FOOD....might not be "plain jane"...but it's all edible. Tell them to try it...they might like it!

For upwards of $75 (it was $85 pp on Freedom a couple of yrs ago), I would NOT try it if I were not somewhat adventurous when it comes to food. Also, it is a long dinner (2hours or more) with a lot of wine which is included in the price which is a good thing! If the $$$ is no concern then go for it. Otherwise, if you are a "plain jane" food lover , then I would skip it. JMO.