Second City and NCL ending contract

pnm655

It was good stuff that I saw 2010-2012. After that the repeating became too much, plus on some ships they stopped doing the classes for the passengers. I always found them very outgoing and kind to cruisers, answering any questions, will miss talking to them more than their shows.

It was good stuff that I saw 2010-2012. After that the repeating became too much, plus on some ships they stopped doing the classes for the passengers. I always found them very outgoing and kind to cruisers, answering any questions, will miss talking to them more than their shows.

We love Second City! I am sad to read this, but they had a great run. We went to their shows this year on the Dawn. In fact, we booked the cruise because of Second City. I agree they were outgoing, friendly with passengers, and professional.

• 5 months later...
Thank goodness. I hated them. Hopefully they will replace them with a good comedian.

I agree. Would love to see NCL do something more in line with Carnival. They have stand up comedians embark at the beginning of a cruise and disembark as new ones arrive in one of the first ports. At that point the ones that disembark go on another ship.This keeps the acts fresh and new..

Any comedian/comedy group gets old after a couple times watching them (which could be on just one cruise). Even the best national acts repeat their material over and over and over again for years.

As for Second City, it is a comedy improv school firstly which produces troupes secondly. Almost all of the SNLers got their training with Second City. They do all of their training on land and have plenty of experience. Like SNL or not, they have been around for decades.

Good luck to them.

The first few times we saw them in Vegas we loved them. After a few more times on NCL we got to the place we could take them or leave them. On our Breakaway cruise last April they we so bad we wanted to walk out. We didn't because I think that is rude but couldn't wait for the show to end.

I'd say that most comedians on cruise ships aren't really very good. I have only been on a Carnival cruise once but thought their comedy club had some real talent. They perform in a smaller setting, which makes it more like a real comedy club.

You sort of know that a comedian isn't very good when they start out their act asking the audience lots of questions (are you having a good cruise, how many are here from Canada, etc.) and to give applause to every worker onboard before they even start.

RIP 2nd City.

this is their final week with NCL.

Wonder what's going to replace them on Breakaway, Dawn and Gem?

Got an email from NCL this week about entertainment on my Gem cruise in Feb and they had Second City listed. Way to keep your customers up to date NCL :rolleyes:

I'd say that most comedians on cruise ships aren't really very good. I have only been on a Carnival cruise once but thought their comedy club had some real talent. They perform in a smaller setting, which makes it more like a real comedy club.

You sort of know that a comedian isn't very good when they start out their act asking the audience lots of questions (are you having a good cruise, how many are here from Canada, etc.) and to give applause to every worker onboard before they even start.

I have seen some pretty funny comedians on cruises. Maybe not prime time or Vegas funny, but darn good. That is the one show we try never to miss.

Having seen the Second City Troupe twice I agree the act gets a bit stale. Based on the cut backs I’ve seen on NCL I doubt that they plan to replace them with a high quality act. If the ventriloquist we saw on our recent Panama Canal cruise is any indicator, the entertainment in the future is headed downhill fast.

We ended up walking out of the first show with them. We tried them a second time and it was no better, just not entertaining. The third time I coaxed my DH into trying it again as there wasn't anything else going on.....Sat in the back in an aisle seat so we could escape if needed....It was needed. I hope they find fresh entertainment and not the Hokey stuff that some of the NCL production shows tend to lean to.

I agree. Would love to see NCL do something more in line with Carnival. They have stand up comedians embark at the beginning of a cruise and disembark as new ones arrive in one of the first ports. At that point the ones that disembark go on another ship.This keeps the acts fresh and new..

It is not just Carnival that does this. Many lines, yes, including NCL do have some entertainers disembark at a port and new ones come on. You can't do this with an entire troop like 2nd City. These will always, regardless of the ship be long contracts and due to the price can not replaced every cruise and certainly not 1/2 way through a cruise. Solo entertainers, that is a different story. Often they will join a cruse 1/2 through and they continue for a few days onto the next cruise.

I think they should bring back the Passenger-Tell-A-Joke contest run by the cruise staff. Similar to Karaoke, but passengers get up and tell their jokes in order to win silly prizes. No cost there other than cruise staff time and a venue to hold it in.

coka